The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:42 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Thank You!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thank You!  (Read 3422 times)
JimBroadhead
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Thank You!
« on: May 28, 2004, 11:47:12 pm »

At the beginning of the (college) year, my friend bought a WinXp laptop so he could use it in Computer Science lectures. About this time, I discovered UQM. Before this, I'd only been able to play SC2 on my DOS box at home. After many cries of "SC is the best game ever!", he eventually let me install it on the laptop.

One day when we were playing Super-Melee over lunch, more and more of our friends started asking if they could have a go. It's got to the stage where most of our year (about 100+) can spend our Computer Science lectures watching Super-Melee (we sit down the front of the hall) Thank you so much for bringing SC2 to XP, and making our lectures that little bit brighter. Grin

Jim Broadhead
(Junior Freshman Engineer)
Shiver

Email
Re: Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 01:42:36 am »

I'm not on the core team in the literal sense, but they're very busy so I'll address these numerous "thankyou" posts and pretend I have the authority to speak in their place for the time being.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 07:57:23 am by Shiver » Logged
Swage

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 10:51:56 am »

I just want to second that. This is one of the best games i have ever played in my life - and i played a lot. Together with the two starflight games and perhaps solar winds, this one is THE space opera game. To bad games like that one are not made anymore - well there are only a few in existence however. I am happy that you put so much efford in creating an overhauled version of this game (having only experienced the PC version - the 3DO voice rox ^^).

To bad there is no game that randomizes a galaxy every new session,  clutching together a glaxy out of a huge library of quests/riddles and races. Well of course the story couldn't be as good as in this case i guess... but i am missing the point. Thanks.

If you are done with this reconstruction process i hope you carry it further and come up with a new, own game in the same spirit. Good luck in any case, great work.
thetallman13
Zebranky food

When you die, you come to ME!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 07:21:55 am »

Deep Shiver, real deep...

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
           -Old Klingon Proverb
ScorpionXT
Zebranky food

Get Over Here!

View Profile
Thank you x 10
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 05:26:13 pm »

No, seriously.  Thank you!

I was looking on EBay for old school games (they just don't make them like they used to) and came across this classic.  I remember playing this at my friend's house almost every day after school around 1994.  Anyway, I followed some links to see if I could buy it somewhere cheaper and ended up here.

I was gonna type a long andecdote about why I fell in love with this game, but I'm sure everyone here knows how awesome this is to them individually.  So I just want to say thank you, and let's keep this thing going.

Just curious, has anyone made it all the way through this PC port without it crashing yet?

Damn, thanks again guys!  Awesome!  Grin

Dude, head for the mountains.  No ... I'm serious.  Head for the mountains ... literally.  Get out of here.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 07:22:15 am »

Aw shucks, you're all too kind.
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 10:19:52 am »

I have versions 0.2 and 0.3. I'm guessing you are using Windows XP am i correct? XP users seem to have a lot of problems with UQM.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
denkc
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 11:51:34 am »

I just discovered this place within the last 2 weeks and it's been one of my most nostalgic experiences ever (as I've said in another post) so yeah, big thanks to all who brought me back my childhood.
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 01:04:48 pm »

It's still alpha, expect some crashes.

That said, there were several pretty insidious crash bugs that were fixed a month or so after the 0.3 release.  You should see if using the latest executable (linked off the frontpage) solves those.

I haven't had the ability to play through the whole game in a single session, but I have in fact played to the end of the game without lockups in 0.31.

(And played to the end of the game in all versions - though 0.1 wasn't beatable by normal means!)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 01:05:09 am »

Could we change Shivers title to "official Greeter" Or some such? Methinks that'd be amusing.

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 02:01:58 am »

Could we change Shivers title to "official Greeter" Or some such? Methinks that'd be amusing.

The White Lotus is good enough for Pai Mei, and therefore probably too good for me.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 03:33:46 am »

Well, at least he doesn't greet them with an excellent view of his foot!

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Shiver

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 04:04:53 am »

Well, at least he doesn't greet them with an excellent view of his foot!

He does if you try to run him through with an antique sword...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 04:06:00 am by Shiver » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 07:52:43 pm »

You're really hooked on Kill bill, aren't you o ancient one? Perhaps I could get you a bowl of nice yummy fish soup? Mmm.. taste the soup oldfool one.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 07:53:13 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 10:52:03 pm »

Eww, that part with the eye squishing was so simple and thus so disgusting..  Lips Sealed
Elle's acting was horrifying  Shocked

good movie indeed!

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length