The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:18:08 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A Humble Musical Entreaty, to the Precursors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Humble Musical Entreaty, to the Precursors  (Read 5172 times)
Phasmid

Email
A Humble Musical Entreaty, to the Precursors
« on: June 04, 2004, 07:00:34 am »

Precursors, providers of quality music, know that I have greatly enjoyed your UQM productions so far.  Long have I patiently looked forward to your next release.

Unfortunately, on the 11th of this month, my Internet access will change so it will become very difficult for me to obtain anything else you may produce.  

I understand the factors which dictate your release schedule, and I certainly won't be bitter if it doesn't work out in my favor.  The matter is not a critical one.  But is there any chance we will see the next batch before my time is up?
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
Re: A Humble Musical Entreaty, to the Precursors
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:42:32 am »

I wouldn't count on it. This is getting embarassing, but very little work has been done lately, for various reasons. Lack of inspiration is my biggest excuse. Every time I try to finish up these last remixes, I realize I'm not inspired at all, which is a bad thing. I have no interest in releasing uninspired music.

Still, the hardest remix so far has turned out pretty good, namely the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za theme. It's evil, epic, and different, and was remixed by Tore and I. Hopefully you'll love it. Smiley
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 05:06:29 am »

Well, I've been checking out the two packs, each song, one by one lately and posting my thoughts on the tracks on the percursors' website, though I'd like to hear a few more comments by the community members on these songs, preferably constructive comments rather than just "like" or "no like" (which is why I posted mostly the negative critiques, which are the relevant ones. sorry).

Here's a copy'n'paste of my comments, so you guys don't have to get your lazy butts up and click on links Wink

(BTW, I know I haven't been here for quite a while, and so searched for 'remix' for the past year - couldn't find any related topic)

All in all, I want to thank the Precursors team for making the wonderful music they do, and for the contribution to this wonderful game.

Starbase - Under a Red Sky
I'm lost for words.. You two are simply amazing!! (and !)

these are the times I wish I knew how to write tracks, so I could express myself in the appropriate lingo..

I like the way you put it all together - from reading your bio I'd be guessing it's the combination of the musical experience with computers on the one hand and the guitar/bass/fx on the other that makes this sound so great and professional.

I especially liked the variations on the drums here, and the (excellent 'real' samples of) chorus in the background (imo, both could be utilized in some other remixes here to make them even better *cough* druuge *cough* Wink

Solar System - Exploration
I'm sorry, I honestly, put lightly, disagree with this piece. Don't take me wrong, I thank you and the team for contributing and composing music for this non-profit remake, but this song just doesn't fit, imo.
It has no pattern, no.. well, nothing. I agree the original didn't have too much either, but it had pattern, and some melody I can hear in my head - even if it was only one minute it was just enough and I even grew fond of it. This track feels unfinished and otherwise strained and overly stretched for 10 minutes. Look at the Dynarri track - it was just about a minute too and it was remixed wonderfully.

If there's one song that I hope would be changed, it's this one.

Starbase Commander - Corridor 9
It's complelely different, and very good indeed, but somehow I like the original better. It's, kind-of, "home sweet home", you know? the music you always come back to and happy to hear, learning new reports, reading all those history bits, offloading minerals.. I guess I just grew attached to it Tongue
any chance of an unreleased bonus remix? Wink

Outfit - Outfit the Vindicator
Sounds well; keeps well with the original. Only thing that bothers me is the last 20 seconds of the song - it sounds completely out of tune. Obviously that was on purpose, but it ruins the song.
I even remember few such occasions of hearing this kind of 'remixing style' (taking a segment out of tune) in clubs and TV.. it was horrible then, and it taints the song now.

Shipyard - Rough Repair
Well done on the remix! imho it fits just fine and passes my "replacement test" for the older version, into the game Wink

Didn't check it in-game yet (waiting for the rest of the packs) but I hope it loops seamlessly (or is that silent ending intended? I hope not).

Hyperspace - Across the Galaxy
As you've written, it's a good chill-out song, but I have to agree with the first two posts - I'm missing the excitement here in this song, the special aura from the original mod/3do version. I'd rather the 3do version.. Sorry.

Druuge - Property of the Crimson Corporation
I love this remix. it's hard for me to say if making it anymore "darker" (metallic maybe, as one of the previous commenters wrote) would make it sound better, since "you shouldn't mess with a good thing or you'll make it worse".

..Only one thing though Tongue
I don't like the drums going 'tootootootootoo' like that, it sounds like one of my experiments with Scream Tracker a dozen years ago.. it wouldn't bother me *that* much, if not for when we get to the 3:50-4:30 part of the song, where it's almost non-stop for all that time.

(Dynarri) Didn't You Mean To Ask About Flowers?
Nicely done! I like this remix very much.
Two points though - I think the, well, 'zzzz' instrument in the last 30 seconds removes the 'evil' feeling (unlike the 'smeared' instrument after the first 50 seconds and throughout the song, which is perfect). Also, did you try adding the gurgling beast sound from the original? if it can fit it might add a twist (literally).

All in all, "Unfinished", as the original composer noted in his MOD, is now amended.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Shiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:25:01 pm »

Lack of inspiration is my biggest excuse.

Your biggest excuse? I thought there was a team of people on board so you wouldn't have to do more than a couple. Just find someone with more zeal. Also, the Yehat theme is itself an inspiration so maybe you could work on that one if it's not done right already.
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:03:36 pm »

All the music has been assigned, and everything has been started. The lack of inspiration usually hits about 75% into a remix, when you're supposed to add that little "extra". Just changing the remixer at that point won't solve much.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 06:04:36 pm »

There isn't a chance you guys are going to release more versions of the already-released packs, or in other words, fix up some of the songs, right?

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 07:22:57 pm »

I don't think so, although we haven't really discussed it. What we've released so far is official, and we like it. Some of us might update a few remixes and release them separately though. For example, I might decide to make a version of Arilou with softer drums at some point. If we release alternate versions of remixes, and you like them better than the first releases, then you'll probably have to replace them yourself for the game.
Mark Vera
*Many bubbles*

Me?You mean me,personally? How nice of you to ask!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 08:46:23 pm »

There isn't a chance you guys are going to release more versions of the already-released packs, or in other words, fix up some of the songs, right?

If time and and energy permits, there's plan on fixing up the guitars in Druuge remix. Right now the guitars are all software produced (real guitar samples anyway). Intention is that VOiD, as he is an guitarist, would replay few parts.

Few songs do have alternate versions (such as battle and slightly different Spathi).

Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 01:45:40 am »

I like all tracks. How do you expect to 'fix up' the guitar in the druuge remix?

TigTigger
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 05:15:38 am »

I can't speak for the rest of the users here, but, I know I am anxiously awaiting the remainder of the remixes (moreso than the next version of the game).  They have been excellent so far.

Is it possible that one or more of the new completed tracks could be released as a teaser?   Smiley
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 07:55:18 am »

I would be inclind to just releasing them toghether and waiting as long as I need to. The old ones are still keeping me busy. Grin

TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 03:25:19 pm »

This thread actually pushed me into doing some work again, and I'm happy to report that I've done some real progress in the last few days. Can't say anything more about a release date, but I thought you'd like to know. Smiley
TigTigger
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 08:46:15 am »

Note to self: Harass remixing team weekly.   Smiley

Thanks for the great job, guys.  I truly can't wait.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 12:09:19 am »

I have nothing to add, expecting the trite observation that the names TiLT and VOiD would seem fitting for future free born generations of Androsynth. I don't kniow why, but I think they would.

Oh, and don't feel too stressed. I'd rather wait longer for the remixes and have them inspiring, exciting and imaginative than have dull, flat and dead versions of them presented this minute.

Happy Remixing!

What's up doc?
umgahbob
Frungy champion

fun

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 05:55:01 am »

I'd rather wait as well. Music is all about the feeling. If there's no life in the song, it's not gonna sound good.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length