The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:40:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Can this run on a Pocket PC??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can this run on a Pocket PC??  (Read 1645 times)
robbie

Email
Can this run on a Pocket PC??
« on: June 23, 2004, 10:37:26 pm »

Just a thought-

Has anyone managed to get this running on either the windows mobile 2003 or 2002 platforms?

What steps would be required to port this across?

Cheers,

Robbie.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
Re: Can this run on a Pocket PC??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:12:29 am »

Yes, uqm can be played on a pocket pc, with caveats.
I've played it on a linux ipaq by forwarding an X session from another computer (the ipaq was acting as a dumb input-output terminal, the desktop was running the actual program).  I ran into hardware issues when trying to run a native uqm binary:
http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Techissues;action=display;num=1063303287
robbie

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 11:17:39 pm »

Many thanks!

I will try using the ipaq as an i/o terminal also. I have everything running fine on xp, but I love a new challenge. Like a moth to a flame!
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 08:17:50 am »

Be warned: it was linux on my ipaq, not pocketpc.  I used Familiar GPE version from www.handhelds.org.  If you're not already familiar(pun intended) with linux, you might not want to try this, as it's scary even for some linux enthusiasts (to re-flash their ipaq the first time; I was so afraid I'd ruin my expensive new pda).  After having said that: if you follow everything on their website, the reflashing works flawlessly.  I've done it several times. I'd suggest signing up to some of their mailing lists and asking about the process & what devices are supported before doing anything else though.

For pocketpc:  I don't know if you can do that.  Is there a rdesktop or terminal services client for ppc?  That might work if so.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length