The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:37 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Official remix addon 3: The Ur-Quan Hierarchy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Official remix addon 3: The Ur-Quan Hierarchy  (Read 31030 times)
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
Re: Official remix addon 3: The Ur-Quan Hierarchy
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2004, 08:00:16 pm »

Even better, if you go to our website, http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors, you can browse each of our remixes, which also contain links to the original .MOD-files. These can be played in any self-respecting media player, like WinAmp.
VOiD
*Smell* controller

Resident pseudointellectual

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2004, 09:25:22 pm »

...where you can also add comments to each remix, describing in detail your thoughts on why they are so much better than the originals! Wink

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
My Deviantart page | My Bandcamp page
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2005, 08:47:17 pm »

Just out of curiosity, in the (most excellent and wonderful Wink) remix of the Ur-Quan theme, around 1:32 into the track, there's an (opera) actor singing something in the background.

Could you say what it is and where is the sample taken from (if anywhere specific) ?

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2005, 11:41:57 am »

Honestly, we have no idea what he's singing. We lifted it off a very popular choir sample CD called Symphony of Voices. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say he's probably singing something religious, but it doesn't matter.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2005, 04:59:24 pm »

Which reminds me (though this isn't in Remix pack 3, it's from Remix pack 2)... what is that distorted conversation clip during the hyperspace music, around 3:00?? I asked this question on the reaction thread at the web site, got no response...
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2005, 07:57:14 pm »

I guess you'd have to ask Riku, and the amount of times I've seen him online in the past year or two can be counted on one hand...  Tongue
VOiD
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2005, 09:24:15 pm »

Which reminds me (though this isn't in Remix pack 3, it's from Remix pack 2)... what is that distorted conversation clip during the hyperspace music, around 3:00?? I asked this question on the reaction thread at the web site, got no response...

My best guess is that he's taken it from some sample cd, and that what's being said isn't the point, it's meant to be only babble. But I'll second TiLT's comment: only Riku knows for sure.

Just out of curiosity, in the (most excellent and wonderful Wink) remix of the Ur-Quan theme, around 1:32 into the track, there's an (opera) actor singing something in the background.

Could you say what it is and where is the sample taken from (if anywhere specific) ?
Honestly, we have no idea what he's singing. We lifted it off a very popular choir sample CD called Symphony of Voices. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say he's probably singing something religious, but it doesn't matter.

TiLT; if you'd known your opera history, which you clearly don't, you'd have known that this singing style probably comes from the Italian opera, most likely late 18th or early to mid-19th century, but possibly as late as 1900. The subject matter of the operas of that age were not religious, as the operas were either light-hearted and comical or deeply tragic stories with the plots taken from mythology (often Greek) or old literature (Shakespeare).

The sample CD TiLT mentions contains not samples taken from real operas, but specially recorded samples of choirs and soloists that are made to sound SIMILAR in style to these operas. More like than not, the samples in question actually contain no recognisable words, but are merely syllables put together to sound like they could have been taken from an Italian opera of the Romantic era.

Hope that answers your question. Wink

Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2005, 01:42:58 am »

Speaking of contacting Riku, is he going to contribute to the 4rth pack, or is he done with that? (I really really hope he is) (along with Mark Vera and you two so as not to pick favorites but I heard that he was not)

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2005, 01:49:06 am »

"TiLT; if you'd known your opera history, which you clearly don't, you'd have known that this singing style probably comes from the Italian opera, most likely late 18th or early to mid-19th century, but possibly as late as 1900. The subject matter of the operas of that age were not religious, as the operas were either light-hearted and comical or deeply tragic stories with the plots taken from mythology (often Greek) or old literature (Shakespeare)."

And so begins the second Doctrinal Conflict, this time fought amougst the Precursors. Smiley
VOiD
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2005, 07:29:01 am »

Speaking of contacting Riku, is he going to contribute to the 4rth pack, or is he done with that? (I really really hope he is) (along with Mark Vera and you two so as not to pick favorites but I heard that he was not)
Riku is a co-contributor of the Orz track, and he has made a couple of remixes which will probably be featured as bonuses in pack 4. As he's not very actively composing anymore, it seems unlikely that he'll be doing any more remixing for the project.

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2005, 05:10:46 pm »

That's too bad.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2005, 04:27:11 am »

How about Jouni?

VOiD
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2005, 09:11:48 pm »

I'm happy to say that Jouni is still with us, and has key contributions to pack 4.

Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2005, 05:06:52 pm »

Yay! Joyous tidings indeed! The energizer composer is still going and going and going and going....

Now you know what would make that news even better? Three guesses and two don't count Roll Eyes

TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2005, 12:54:33 pm »

Free beer?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length