The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:11:19 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The John Kerry/George W. Bush thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: The John Kerry/George W. Bush thread  (Read 64613 times)
Shiver

Email
The John Kerry/George W. Bush thread
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:26:17 pm »

At meep-eep's suggestion, I'm making a separate topic for an argument that was sparked in the topic "Flame Thrower" and threatens to blow over. Shitty puns aside, this website does a pretty good job of expressing my feelings on the matter: http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/ Simply put, most of the so-called dirt you've heard on this guy is random crap that's been twisted and blown out of proportion. If you have any, please source it and give an extensive explanation as to why it's so incredibly awful.  Also, feel free to try your hand at convincing me that George W. Bush isn't the most hideous leader ever.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:26:38 am by Shiver » Logged
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Re: John Kerry
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 06:42:03 pm »

In the same vein, here is an article which illuminates my thoughts on the Iraqi Insurgency better than I am able to myself:

http://www.businessnc.com/archives/2003/10/up_front.html

And don't forget, my fellow Americans reading this, that the Congress is every bit as much to blame for this mess (by abdicating their responsibilities regarding declaration of war) as the Executive.  Don't forget to do your part in kicking them out this November, either.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 09:54:31 pm »

funny thing is most of the terrorists in Iraq are not Iraqis. they're muslum radicals from all over the middle east. who came to iraq to "kill the american infidels."
thats one of the main points for the war. Take the war to them so they wont attack us on our soil.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 10:56:15 pm »

But you're not taking the war to them. You're taking the war to the Iraqis, who you yourself admitted are not the terrorists. Do you think the regular civilians in Iraq feel happy that the US named their country the new place to deck it out with Taleban&Co. in?

How'd you feel if someone tried to take the fight to you, to stop you from bombing the crap out of their soil?. Oh wait, they already did. Felt good, did it?

Any other points that are pro current administration??
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:56:54 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 01:35:04 am »

WOW lukipela.. I thought you were a nice guy guess i was completly wrong.
THAT is the most anti-american thing I've heard in a long time.
Alot of people would kill you on sight for saying something as insensitive as that.

BTW: alot of Iraqis are very happy by american presence. what most Media wont tell you is how much the infastructure has improved, and how schools are opening. how the electricity grid has been rebuilt to be better then it was before the war.

How'd you feel if someone tried to take the fight to you

I would think that my opponent is actualy fighting a war.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 01:46:54 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
ChainiaC
*Many bubbles*

Cybernetic Experiment

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 01:46:02 am »

Actually, if what you say is true and a lot of people would kill someone on sight for having a negative opinion about the USA, then I can only conclude that the USA must be a damn scary place!  Roll Eyes
Freedom of speech implies the right to piss some people off, doesnt it?
Also, how does having an anti-american point of view make someone un-nice?
Dont get me wrong, I'm from Holland myself but I've been to the US, and I think its a beautifull country with a lot of really cool people in it, but I too am rather sceptic about George W.'s policies. One does not exclude the other.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 01:49:00 am by ChainiaC » Logged
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 01:48:41 am »

Freedom of speech implies the right to piss some people off, doesnt it?

but Fighting words are not. You say something too someone of that nature, then you are considered at fault as well.

the USA must be a damn scary place!

only if you act like a total jerk. im pretty sure anyplace you go if you act bad enough then  your life is forfeit.

but I too am rather sceptic about George W.'s policies.

I can only blame the media. when i went to the european-union every media outlet I saw had a sickening anti-american slant to it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 02:01:43 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:08:12 am »

Patton Oswalt on Say Something Funny
http://www.theonionavclub.com/ssf/index.php?issue=4025

Sixteen things I would be willing to vote for instead of George W. Bush:
  • Anal rape
  • That scene from Dumbo where Dumbo's mom cradles him in her trunk and he starts to cry
  • Four years of constantly being hit in the genitals with an ax handle by Avril Lavigne
  • Avril Lavigne's music
  • A new STD that makes angry hornets spontaneously generate in your anus, and it's caused by masturbation
  • Every time you blink, you crap your pants
  • The vague feeling of hopelessness that you get on a rainy Sunday morning when you've just fucked someone you shouldn't, and now you have to think of a way to let them down easy, and you realize that the pain you've caused in your life is starting to come back on you threefold, and you can no longer feel joy, and also there's an under-skin zit inside your nose
  • The body odor of a two-pack-a-day cigarette smoker in an elevator
  • Vanilla Coke
  • Contagious, airborne cancer
  • Italian food tastes the way it does at The Olive Garden from now on
  • A lost puppy slowly freezing to death at 5:11 a.m. on Christmas
  • Reagan's corpse
  • Orgasms can only be reached while listening to "Meet Virginia" by Train
  • All children look like Donald Pleasence until they're 11
  • John Kerry

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Shiver

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 02:12:56 am »

This seems to be only a discussion of Iraq. I myself feel ambilivant towards this war. Our president basically lied about chemical and nuclear weapons to get us there in the first place and the people there hate us. He's done a wonderful job of pissing off every other country on the face of the earth. Furthermore, he let civilian companies interested in profit be put in charge of fixing the country instead of just letting the military handle that. On the other hand, Saddam Hussein was a pretty shitty person and Iraq will probably benefit in the long run. There's some good in the war, but it exists despite Dubbya, not because of him.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 02:38:15 am »

This is what i wrote in reply.

18 things I would rather vote for then John Kerry:

Ethnic Cleansing of all 6 finger men.
 Outlawing A/C
 A law that requires a 4 inch spike to stick out of all new vehicles steering wheels.
 funding for all Virus writing projects.
 Goverment Grants for poeple who wish to have Sex Changes.
 Murder to be considered a misdemeaner
 Required additives to toothpaste to cause tooth decay.
 Outlawing Painkillers.
 all new video games must be written in Java.
 A law requring all mice to have only one button.
 having police enforce murphies law.
 Afirmative action for new born babies. (to many whites? then kill em)
 forced organ donating while doner is still alive. (Heart, Liver)
 renaming Linux to Doors.
 a law requiring every city to have different colors for stoplights.
 beating baby seals with clubs.
 Joe Lieberman
 George W. Bush.

I can think of alot more. Grin
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 03:12:00 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 02:42:11 am »

Our president basically lied about chemical and nuclear weapons

actualy they found some. but even if he did then kerry did as well.

He's done a wonderful job of pissing off every other country on the face of the earth.

he didn't "piss them off"  just had them reveal their true colors, and not everyone on the face of the earth.
he let civilian companies interested in profit be put in charge of fixing the country instead of just letting the military handle that.

this is a bad thing? it creates jobs, and saves money by having contractors do it at a set price. otherwise you would have to train the military personel in in nearly everthing. the military are for killing and civilians for building.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 02:58:35 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 03:07:44 am »

How'd you feel if someone tried to take the fight to you, to stop you from bombing the crap out of their soil?. Oh wait, they already did. Felt good, did it?

I don't normally reply in political threads, but I'd just like to point out that they (Al-Qaida) didn't attack us to keep us from bombing their soil.  They attacked us to keep our culture from affecting theirs in what they believe is a negative way.  Whether we (U.S.) are Star Trek TNG's Borg in respects of our culture is open to debate, but they could have used better means to combat the culture than intentionally blowing civilians up.  Hollywood would have made a better target than the Trade Towers.

Do you think the regular civilians in Iraq feel happy that the US named their country the new place to deck it out with Taleban&Co. in?

Regular Iraqis seem to be quite happy that they no longer have to fear random murders & rapes from their own government, but instead from the enemies of their new government or the enemies of their governments' friends (the Coallition).  You don't hear this from most news sources since they are legally allowed to say the sky is orange if they want (yay free speech!), but if you talk with people who have been over there, you hear that the majority of people that they meet are happy for the Coallition presence despite the current turmoil.  Of course, that's not scientific polling, since most of the people who would approach an armed soldier would be predisposed in favor of that soldier (if not, they'd avoid the soldier like the plague).  But, it's better than some suits in New York spinning sound bites into cotton candy.

Recent Insurgents who happen to be Iraqis (like Al-Saudir) were merely jostling for room in a percieved power-vacuum.  He probably planned the maneuver as soon as he saw that the U.S. was going to attack.  Notice that Al-Saudir quickly mentioned that he'd run for political office after he gave up.

A law that requires a 4 inch spike to stick out of all new vehicles steering wheels.
Afirmative action for new born babies. (to many whites? then kill em)

1) That'd make people more carefull as they drive...
2) Isn't that one of Kerry's Platforms?  Roll Eyes  Kidding, kidding.

Aaaany waaay, back to Kerry.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 03:16:18 am by Culture20 » Logged
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 03:19:36 am »

Culture 20 you are my new friend. Grin

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 03:28:20 am »

he didn't "piss them off"  just had them reveal their true colors, and not everyone on the face of the earth.

this is a bad thing? it creates jobs, and saves money by having contractors do it at a set price. otherwise you would have to train the military personel in in nearly everthing. the military are for killing and civilians for building.

First point - they found shit besides a few empty missile cases. If any WMDs were ever found in Iraq, it'd be all over national television.

I stand corrected in that we didn't piss off every country, just most of them. Even the governments of countries that supported us show a lot of dissent, though. England is an example of this.

Civilian companies doing reconstruction in Iraq is intensely stupid. Only the big companies really benefit from this. It's less efficient and makes the Iraqis resent us more. If you think reconstruction by our big business isn't making any trouble for us, take a look at all those execution videos of contractors. Military reconstruction isn't an odd thing, it's what we did with Japan and Germany after WW2.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 03:34:13 am »

I normally live by the rule "never argue with a fool, people watching may not be able to tell the difference", but in this case I am compelled to point out that you sir, are talking out of your ass.

"Fair and Balanced" Fox News may have trumpeted the fact that WMDs were found, but it was a single old, abandoned munition from the Iran/Iraq war, tagged for destruction but lost in the shuffle, and according to the military officials that actually found it, the people who rigged it up likely didn't even know that it contained binary sarin (Associated Press article here) and Fox News' report was pretty much laughed off the stage by everybody except Fox News.

I'm no partisan, and I'm certainly no pacifist, but it is plainly obvious to even a casual observer that the claims by Bush/Blair that Iraq had "massive stockpiles" of chemical and biological weapons, capable of being deployed "within 45 minutes" were patently false.  To take any other position is to take a position of baseless apologism.  The whole thing was ill-conceived and poorly-executed, and now we've got a bloody, costly clusterfuck of an occupation to which the true costs may take decades to shake out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length