The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:09:33 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Similar Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Similar Games  (Read 3874 times)
Jayme McBride

Email
Similar Games
« on: August 25, 2004, 12:12:18 am »

Has anybody ever seen a game that compares to Star Control II? I loved this game back in the 90s, and I have never seen anything come close to the game experience in this game. Just curious to see if any one has come across anything similar that I might want to check out.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Similar Games
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 12:38:06 am »

No.

I have heard that others have. Blasphemers.
Wink
Art

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 01:00:50 am »

That's a bit peremptory, isn't it?

Starflight, though more primitive than SC2, is considered very similar in style. Same thing with the old game Solar Winds. Wing Commander: Privateer might also be worth a look.
Jayme McBride

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 01:46:56 am »

I have been playing the Microsoft game Freelancer and so far it is all right, but one of the things I loved about SC2 was the planet exploration and mining. The other cool thing was the secret artifiacts and RPG aspect of it.
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 02:24:17 am »

Freelancer is a good game, have you finished it yet?

Personally, i've never found a game that is anywhere near as good as it. However, if you want a really combat orientated, updated type of fun game, check out Moonpod's Starscape. Its sort of SC2 lite for little kids who can't read =p

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

"Space is a dangerous place where wimps eat flaming plasma death" -The Zot....or is it the Fot?? We may never know...unless the guy in the back tells us!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
RDH_An-R-Kist
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 01:59:19 am »

With all the europeans on here I would figured that someone woulda mentioned the Elite games (I like Frontier the best)

It allows planet exploration and mining, as well as asteroid mining, contract killing, search and rescues. It's a crazy cool game. And with something like 50 different ships to choose from, one of my favorites. Yup yup.

We could ofcourse mention timewarp and aftermath, but they are more or less just spin-offs of SC2/UQM
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:00:59 am by RDH_An-R-Kist » Logged

Anarchy; RDH style

visit www.rdhclan.net
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 08:42:33 am »

I dont like either, personally, the feel of the original just isn't there... =p

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

"Space is a dangerous place where wimps eat flaming plasma death" -The Zot....or is it the Fot?? We may never know...unless the guy in the back tells us!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
Art

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 09:40:27 am »

Though Timewarp and Aftermath are both based on the Star Control games, neither one has the expansive, adventure-game-like story-based environment of SC2, which was in my opinion what made SC2 really special. Both have simulations of combat and exploration that greatly surpass SC2, but there have always been tons of games that had cooler nuts-and-bolts gameplay than SC2. Very few have captured the feeling of an interactive real world the way SC2 has.
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 10:33:30 am »

The closest would have to be either the GTA or Metroid series(althought the Metroid series is much closer.), both require you to eventually go from point A to point B AFTER passing through points C,D,E,F and G

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Jeff Graw
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 12:23:15 pm »

I hate to say this, since UQM is such a great game and all but...

Starflight 1 & 2 were way better.

The same way moonpod's starscape is but a lite version of SC2, SC2 is a light version of starflight.

Starflight was more of a hardcore simulation game. The universe was bigger, the plot was deeper, and it was a lot more real and immersive. Also, the planets were huge, and the entire universe was fractally generated.

SC2/UQM is still a great game (an one of my all time favorites) but starflight is just better IMO.
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 12:36:19 pm »

Sure, Starflight may have all that, but is it as fun?
Is it as hilarious?
Has it spawned dedicated (cult) messageboards like this one? =p

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
Neochrist

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 03:17:34 am »

You really should try this http://www.freeallegiance.org its a frre game though its multiplayer only it is kinda similar but without any speech from comps....but since this game is nowdays abandonware and open source its only a few players that plays it(about 40 all the time) but its very fun and extremely complex
Jeff Graw
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 06:36:23 am »

Sure, Starflight may have all that, but is it as fun?
Is it as hilarious?

Starflight isnt as funny, or action packed... but its definantly more immersive. It depends what you want in a game. If you want an immersive game that will draw you in for a month or so, then you will probably like SF more. Like-wise, if you want a funny, action packed game, then you will probably enjoy SC2 more.
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 07:15:36 pm »

and if i want a depressfest/gripping storyline and an awesome action game together I will play Max Payne 2 again =p

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
Profound_Darkness
Zebranky food

Current Mood: RL-Buisy...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 08:35:58 pm »

I myself am drawn to Alien Leggacy over and over again.  I played SC2 around the same time and I found it to draw my attention about as much as sc2.

Thank you dos box...

AL certainly hasn't got the action element but it does have a nice immersive atmosphere.  It sorta ties together my interest in exploration with my interest in RTS games.  As far as more modern games I haven't played anything that comes close to SC2 or any of the old classics.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length