The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:58:33 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Your LEAST favorite ship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Your LEAST favorite ship  (Read 25029 times)
Jonni Lehtiranta

Email
Re: Your LEAST favorite ship
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2002, 01:38:15 am »

The ZoqFotPik was hilarious! We spent hours playing ZFP vs ZFP, both circling a planet.. And, I've actually killed a full condition Kohr-Ah with one ZoqFot! First, circle the Kohr-Ah so that it shoots its battery empty, then go in with the tongue..

The earthlings and mycon are good when you find a planet.. I also think the Druuge is great (one of the few ships to kill every Avatar it meets, even human-controlled).

And, the X-Form is pronounced Mannerheim - at least that's the only possible way I've heard =).

The least favorite.. That would be the Supox, because it jammed the keyboard when playing against a human opponent =). Also, I never learnt to use its speciality.
Bataar

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2002, 02:17:39 am »

don't bash the Earth Cruisers; finding a planet is nice and all, but against the AI a single Earth Cruiser can take out hordes of Dreadnoughts and .. whatever the Kohr Ah ships are called   Wink

Both are faster than the cruiser but not enough, if you keep running away the AI will get bored and turn around to try to catch you the other way; all you have to do is turn around yourself and repeat ^ ^

In this kind of battle reaching a planet is counterproductive; you can easily get pulled into them or crash land or accelerate into a path that sooner or later leads to flaming plasma death.
Bataar

Email
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2002, 02:20:30 am »

Course the cruiser is entirely useless against an Avatar, but will cause damage when it gets taken down.  It's just that there is no way to damage the avatar except with the point defense laser - which you have to be close - which means you = dead ^^

Also the X-Form's name is meant to approximate mechanical hums; generic sci-fi machinery.
Mr_March
Zebranky food

Old School Gamer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2002, 04:35:09 am »

Umgah Drone.  Can't stand that ship.  I never could get the thing to work properly with the reverse and anti-matter cone attack.  It was always too difficult.

Oh, and hi there everyone Smiley

----------
Expect me...when you see me.
ASCI_Blue
Zebranky food

Penguin army Commander

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2002, 06:17:15 am »

Arilou skiffs, granted it is nifty to fight uber-huge enemy near a planet and watch them crash to death, sure they're fast but one sneeze and you lose. Close second would be the Sylandro probe.
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2002, 07:04:28 am »

Bataar : They're called 'Marauders'

I have knowledge  Cool

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
Genie
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2002, 05:04:49 am »

Least favorite ship? I'd say umgah (with some execptions)..Illwrath with their cloacking device has it's uses against homing weapons. Earthlings, well, find a planet and kill enemies. Mycon, again the planet tactic (you'd be amazed at what this baby can kill). I just love spathis; only slylandro (great ships when you learn to control them), earthlings, pkunks and orz (not sure about mrmrmrhrrmrhhrrsnms Wink ) are able to hurt them. Having an avatar against a spathi is one of the most stupid things to do (h vs. h).

Actually, all the ships have their advantages..so umgah wins (ie. loses) but just barely.

ps. planet is your friend (especially when playing an arilou)
Kelju_Ivan
Zebranky food

Rankka Ankka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2002, 11:34:26 am »

Umgah is cool. It's just so great to toast your enemies with, gives a feeling of superiority. "I beat you... with the Umgah! HAH!"

At one point in SC1 it was my favorite ship. They were even cheap to construct, which was nice.
Firefox444
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2002, 12:09:29 pm »

Probably Umgah, but if you are really good and a little lucky, you can still take out certain ships with it. It just depends on your skills and specialties. If you can get in close, it's cone can kill any ship in the game in a second or two. :-/ :-/

Classic StarControl Cartoon:
http://angryflower.com/loving.gif
destp
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2002, 07:54:40 am »

The Chmmr, they were too powerful and boring to play.  You just sat back and pulled your enemy in.  If you were playing a decent human, the battle was usually decided from the start based on what ship they had (either they couldn't hurt you, or you had basically no chance killing them).
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2002, 02:59:53 pm »

The Very Ugly Xenomorph!

Due to the Vux's slowness and low turning rate.
The only thing to save your butt were the limpets (and also a very cool idea!).
The only good thing is the warp-in device, but in melee it became useless, because others didn't warp in near you and your warp-in came near an enemy on full speed, therefor he was gone before your gigawattlaser destroyed him.

But i must say, that it remains very original due to the cool ideas (limpets, warp-in device) used.
Flewellyn

Email
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2002, 05:18:35 am »

Honestly, I didn't have a "least favorite".  At some point, I found all the ships to be useful.  So, rather than list ships I didn't like, I thought I might address some of the points made by others.

Umgah: If your opponent is large and slow (eg, Chmrr Avatar), these ships can be quite effective.  Sacrifice a couple by zipping into range of the zapsats and using the antimatter cone to destroy them.  Those zapsats are tough, but not invulnerable...and once they're gone, the Chmrr ship is a lot more vulnerable to incoming fire.

Spathi: Zip, zap, zowie!  It's quite fun, zipping around with these suckers and blasting your opponent.  By the time a Dreadnought or Podship gets turned around, you're well out of range.

Ilwrath:  I wzs quite good at the "sneak up and flame someone" approach.  My sister was better.  :-)  I lost a lot of battles to her Avengers, especially when using something like an Earthling Cruiser...

Shofixti: BOOM!  Effective on its own against smaller opponents.  Against big ones, no need to fire the gun: just zip into range and let the Glory Device go.  A couple of those and even a Dreadnought is toast.

Vux: If you're able to get in close, the laser toasts them.  If not, use limpets to slow them down.  Anything which has point-defense lasers will take them out, of course, so finding a planet is a good backup.  Still, I could do pretty well with these.

Mycon: These ships were designed for the gravity whip maneuver.  Once you get going, of course, it's hard to stop, but that's okay...shoot backwards.  Even fast ships like the Arilou had trouble dodging plasmoids when fired from a flying podship...especially if the Arilou was in hot pursuit.

Druuge: A long range cannon that does as much damage as an Ur-Quan blast?  Very nice!  Plus, the recoil could be useful for getting up to speed.  I often found myself using shots sparingly, though, until I could get them lined up for a kill.  Tossing crew into the furnace is funny, but tends to make one vulnerable.  :-)

And, last but not least, Slylandro: Constant motion and immunity to gravity are perfect for my "zip around chaotically" style of fighting.  Plus, the lightning weapon was hard to track, and very hard to block!  Even an Utwig would end up wasting shield power, because it's difficult to know when the lightning blast will actually hit.  And recharging from asteroids is nifty.

Anyway, some thoughts.
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2002, 06:54:18 am »

Yup, you're right, all ships are useful at one point or another. Myself, having played SCI for years, before I even heard of SCII or SCIII, consider myself fairly good at all ships (although I'm best with a Arilou Skiff) so I can't honestly say that I dislike any of them. But, in SCII I found the Zot-Fot-Pik early on in my first game and began to build there ships only to find that they were meant for short range. I tried to use them in battle, but I couldn't get the hang of it, so rather then keep trying I just gave up on it and never bothered again. So, it's my least favorite. I bet everyone here has a similar story as to why their least favorite ship is, their least favorite. But, don't get me wrong, you made good points. However, I doubt they'd make anyone think twice about making it one of their favorites.  :-/
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2002, 03:42:51 pm »

Let's say there's two least favorites....to fight and to use...

To use, the Umgah, Ilwrath, Androsynth, and Shofixti.

Then of course the fight depends on the matchup.  Unfortunately many of the match ups are boring, and some are impossible - in some cases using some ships in melee are boring because there's no challenge with a lot of the ships.

Speaking of match-ups, has anyone beaten a Utwig with a Chmmr?
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2002, 05:02:23 pm »

Speaking of match-ups, has anyone beaten a Utwig with a Chmmr?
Yes (awesome computer).
It does take more time than taking an Avatar with a Blade apart, it even won't work w/o loosing crew. First job is to take his battery down. So never ever use the laser on the Utwig until his batts are drained. Use it to shoot near the Utwig. Make him trigger his shield. Wait. Turn and shoot left or right of him. Wait until he stopped triggering and redo. By the time he has lost his shields, you've lost at least half your crew and (most probably) one or two of your ZapStats. Now your task will be to chase him. and get him down. for good. BTW, it's easier to win against an Utwig after having lost your sattelites against an Kohr-Ah (these Zap-stats accidentically fill his battery, great Sad)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length