The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2019, 10:41:29 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Paul & Fred have reached a settlement with Stardock!

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Your LEAST favorite ship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Your LEAST favorite ship  (Read 19929 times)
Teric

Email
Re: Your LEAST favorite ship
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2002, 07:06:27 pm »

I never got any good at the Umgah--I never choose them for melee.

Admittedly, Ilwrath Avengers are very difficult for a human to fly.  But the upside is the fact that when you fire while cloaked, you automatically aim toward your opponent as you decloak.  So the trick is to figure out how to predict your position when you're cloaked.  Plus, you can easily dodge guided projectiles while cloaked.  Thraddash are an Ilwrath's DOOM.  I honestly can't understand why the Ilwrath and Thraddash wiped each other out--the Thraddash should have been able to beat the Ilwrath without a single loss.

VUX are a pain in the neck to fly.  Slow, short range.  Limpets are also very slow, and only useful if they hit (which isn't often!).  Getting a gravity whip as a VUX helps, but makes it difficult to control, and can often fly you into the planet or into Kor-Ah spinning blades.

What about SCIII?  Any good/bad ships from there?  

Although the Exquivan Enigmas were a neat idea, I quickly grew to dislike them.  On the other hand, the Vyro-Ingo ships were unique in that they carried absolutely NO projectile weapons.  They simply laid vortex mines or put up a ramming shield.  I got pretty good with those!

The Ploxis Plunderers were awesome with their shields and their long range guided missiles, but there was more than a few times where I killed off my tiny amount of crew by hitting myself with a 'guided' missile.

RoCkAsAuRuS ReX

Email
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2003, 05:28:59 am »

Least favorite?  That would have to be the Kohr-Ah.  That ship has no style whatsoever.

DUDE, what are you talking about! the mauler is freakin awesome looking. Maybe it's just me, but i love the dark color scheme, it makes it soo much more evil. AWESOME ship, no question.
Scott
*Many bubbles*

does whatever a spider can

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2003, 10:37:39 am »

Umgah sucks. The cloaking ships, the Ilwrath and the Heralds from SC3 suck too since you can't see yourself. ( I kinda doubt that the pilot inside the ship would lose sense of what he sees outside his windshield or whatever.. )
ranmafan
Zebranky food

How's my breath?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2003, 03:45:14 pm »

I hate the Earthling Cruiser. Their lack of maneuverability and low speed, coupled with a very WIDE side profile and a glaring blind spot in their firing arc makes them easy prey for almost everything in the game.

*off topic*

Conversely, I love the Umgah Drone and Illwrath Avenger.

The Umgah Drone is, to me, the ultimate Chmmr Killer. Simply hold down the primary weapon, spray his zapsats, use the Zip motion to escape his tractor beam. After that, simply keep the antimatter cone up to block his laser and fry him.

And the Illwrath is a hoot for HyperMelee. I've learned how to located my own ship a long time ago, so whenever I play the Avenger, I can keep my friend on his toes by playing mindgames.

But I HATED the ships from SC3. A lot of them lacked creativity. I mean, yeah, there were the really interesting ones, but most of them were rehashed versions of SC2 ships. Maybe it's difficult to come up with unique ideas, I agree, but still... But the Exquivian ship was my fav in SC3. ;p

But although SC3 had the worst interface, it had the most interesting game idea. I love the idea of colonies and shipbuilding like that. And sending 'diplomatic' vessels out is a great plus.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2003, 07:36:09 pm »

Part I: SC 1 and 2

Least favorite: Chmmr
In too many cases, the Chmmr dominates so much at short range that engagement is impossible. If the Chmmr had only ONE zapsat, but a more powerful tractor beam, I'd love it. It would be nearly as powerful, and it would be POSSIBLE to fight it. and it could force a confrontation with more enemies.

Why not Ilwrath? Though tricky to fly, not impossible.
Why not Umgah? They have speed and a powerful weapon and a powerful defense. Just because they're hard to use doesn't make the ship good. It rewards skill - that's what a game is about. GOOD ship. My friend's father totally dominates with the Drone. In SC1 one of each matchup, he only lost the drone to the glory device.
Why not Spathi? Well, Spathi DO have an effective main gun. If pilots refuse to take advantage of it, then that's their fault, not the ship's.

Part 2: SC3
Where do I start?
Ploxis. CHEESE!!! It flies around at long range and pelts you to death, nothing you can do. If you're the pilot, all you need to do is shoot vaguely toward the enemy and not in the direction you're moving (if these to conflict, it's time to change course).
DakTakLakPak. Mine laying and high speed. This is bad news. Like Ploxis, but not as extreme.
Vyro-Ingo. Maybe if someone explained how their ramming weapon worked. I never did any damage with it. I would turn the shield on, ram, and bounce off harming neither ship. Then I tried ramming and turning on the shield just at impact (so it would overlap. Nope. Of course, the mac port had serious problems, like gray rectangles around the planets, not-quite-invisible Heralds, Harika missiles converging back on you even when you're firing BACKWARDS... etc. Maybe the Vyro-Ingo shield was supposed to work better too.
Doog. Rapid regeneration, yikes! Not so bad unless you get the in-game upgrade, then they're just SICK. That and their auto-aim weapon makes them pretty much invulnerable to most light fighters like Pkunk and Arilou. I don't like having zeroes in the chance-to-win matrix. Maybe if the fire rate of the regeneration had been halved and the auto-aim less accurate but the range longer???

I don't have a complaint with the ship design of the K'Tang, though I do think they should have had a higher point value. But maybe I could only one-on-one cancel with the Ur-Quan in that game because the AI was STUPID.
TenaciousC

Email
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2003, 11:27:59 pm »

SC 1-2
Least Favorite- Come on now, you cant tell me you all think the Zot-Fot Stinger is even worth last place. With the combination of a crappy 1st weapon system, which i like to call the salt shaker, and an even crappier secong weapon, where you have to be at at least point-blank to use. No crew, no weapons, but it is fast, i'll hand that to em. thats the only reason it wasnt turned into scrap metal before,
SC-3, uhh how the hell are you supposed to use the Vyro-Ingo? Its got nothing to attack with. Not only is it impossible to use, but i just dont like the Vyros anyway. I LOVE the Harika/Yorn ship, whatever it was callled, great idea, fun to use.
Hated the Clairconctlar ship too. Too bulky and slow, and I didnt like the weapon much. but, then again, most of the ships in 3 were tons worse though anyways.
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2003, 06:16:11 am »

Yeah, Zoq-Fot-Pik was the ship voted least likely to win.....but Spathi Eluders are more likely to make me bang my head into the monitor.  Angry

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
NeverPostedHereBefore

Email
SC3 ships
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2003, 07:02:20 am »

The Harika/Yorn Ravager just plain ruled. Bolo missles were very easy to score a hit with and the regenerating crew + afterburner was insanely helpful. It was way too powerful, though. It could kill everything besides that godforsaken Avatar without much effort. But SC3 sucked horribly, so I won't go any further into that.

Oh yeah, and I second (more like twelth) that Umgah ships are crap.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2003, 08:15:46 pm »

I disagree that the Clairconctlar ship sucked. Handled properly, it can take out nearly any other ship. Yet to do so requires skill: mindfulness, clarity of prediction, and timing.
One of the better-balanced ships in the game, IMO.

As pointed out, Harika-Yorn was a little too good...
Casey

Email
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2003, 10:34:27 pm »

I thought the ZoqFot's were actually kind of fun, if you were playing on the actual SC2 where there were only 16 firing angles.  If you can stay between them you can get close enough for some serious tongueing action.  In games like TimeWarp, this is useless.

I thought the Clairconctlar's special ability was a little too powerful.  Perhaps it would be better if it costed more fuel, but the ability to just vanish every time you got close was really annoying.  Of course, maybe I just didn't figure out how to fight them effectively.

If I were forced to pick a least favorite ship between all three, it would be the Heralds.  Useless to play, and f***ing annoying to fight.
Casey

Email
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2003, 10:37:03 pm »

Oh...I also thought the Vyro-Ingo were actually good, if you took a little time with them.  The ramming shield was mostly useless, but the wakes would effectively absorb anything you fired at them, making it really difficult to hit one.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2003, 01:34:31 am »

The wakes were pretty weird. Very strange effects with them. Powerful, but so hard to hit with! If you're facing vyro-ingo, the main solution, as with the Thraddash, is sit still and wait until they come close and kill them. Unlike with the thraddash, they have NO ranged weaponry, so you won't even get slowly pecked to death.
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2003, 09:18:23 pm »

Mycon: These ships were designed for the gravity whip maneuver.  Once you get going, of course, it's hard to stop, but that's okay...shoot backwards.  Even fast ships like the Arilou had trouble dodging plasmoids when fired from a flying podship...especially if the Arilou was in hot pursuit.

*pulls another one of her infamous ressurrections, and pulls another old topic out to rant along with*

Without a superprocessor in my brain (which the lot of you gentlemen clearly have, no sarcasm intended) controlling the Mycon Podship and leading it into a gravity whip and managing to turn it around to bear on the enemy ship and actually managing to score with a hit without being led into danger--- is so incredibly tedious. And since it's about the only ship that I ever collide with my own weaponry with, it's instinctively reflexive for me to fire while facing forward.

...and the computer seems to manage these calculations without a hitch (well, alright, the computer does make stupid mistakes quite often, but doesn't it always). Which easily makes it my least favorite ship, both because it's such a pain to use AND such a pain to fight. True, if you're skillful enough, you can still take it out with no casualities with most ships (and with certain ships, you can take it out with no casualties without batting an eye). I'm usually too lazy to fight with more than casual effort, though.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2003, 09:30:52 pm »

Well, it's not too hard... The hardest part is finding the planet. You do gravity whips with other ships, say, the VUX, right? Or do you just not like to fly slow ships?
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2003, 10:45:00 pm »

Well, it's not too hard... The hardest part is finding the planet. You do gravity whips with other ships, say, the VUX, right? Or do you just not like to fly slow ships?

Well, it depends. Slow ships like the Marauder, or slow ships as in the Mauler without it's cannon? I generally have a hard time finding said planet, too. What's really annoying is when the screen automatically zooms in on your ship in the PC version when you're zipping through space, and you can't see a planet coming before you collide with it during the victory ditty.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length