The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:07:19 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Pkunk insult suggestion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pkunk insult suggestion  (Read 2667 times)
Art

Email
Pkunk insult suggestion
« on: October 07, 2004, 09:02:51 am »

So right now the Pkunk insult secondary weapon is really nothing but a cosmetic feature, since you can simply hold down the secondary weapon key, causing the Pkunk energy meter to automatically recharge like any other race's except punctuated by insults.

I think this should actually have a gameplay effect. I propose that a Pkunk insult only triggers when the secondary weapon key is *tapped*, so that a player has to pay attention and keep tapping the secondary weapon key in order to recharge energy. (It should also be restricted to a certain rate, so that wildly hammering the key isn't any more effective than holding it down.) Moreover I propose that insults only work while the primary weapon is not being fired, so that the Pkunk need to be clever about firing shots, then peeling off to insult from a distance.

I think while this makes the Pkunk harder to play it makes them a heck of a lot more fun to play at the same time, and makes their weird secondary weapon actually mean something. I already play this way as a matter of honor, but it shouldn't be too hard to code it in as a required game behavior by disabling the hold-down-the-button strategy.
Shiver

Email
Re: Pkunk insult suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 11:44:04 am »

I expected this topic to be much more amusing when I read the title. Tongue

Maybe the Pkunk could have a secret hyper mode they go into after 5 reincarnations of the same ship where they exchange their usual insults for such treasures as ****, *****, **** and let's not forget ******. I mean seriously, after being killed five times in a row you'd be furious too, no?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 05:18:41 pm »

Hmmm... Well, yeah, but you have to remember, we are not the phunk! Children the of Stellar Stars!  Roll Eyes

Actually, I like your idea Art, though I don't think its going to happen due to the team trying to get UQM close to SC2 as possible, when changing different things.....  :-/
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 09:05:58 pm »

Once I was making some sort of joke where I was going to have the Pkunk insults be in 1337.

As for your idea... I feel it is sort of lame that the ship has no significant special, but I don't know that those changes would be an improvement.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:12:25 pm »

I don't see the role play benefit of hammering the special key
rather than holding it down.

What sound does a penguin make?
Art

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 12:20:32 am »

The point is that the game should be trying to encourage you to stop and think about when to use insults, and that you can only do it while not attacking -- it'd force the Pkunk to go into a pattern of engage-breakaway-insult-engage-breakaway-insult.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 01:54:38 am »

If that's all you want, just leave it as it is, except you can't fire while holding Special.
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 12:50:24 pm »

ROFL I loved this thread.
Good idea, Art
Personally, I would love a little patch that had an M rating on it that replaced the 'jerk' with "***** you ********* with a ********** donkey ******** llama!"

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

"Space is a dangerous place where wimps eat flaming plasma death" -The Zot....or is it the Fot?? We may never know...unless the guy in the back tells us!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 03:00:49 pm »

When playing super melee human vs human at least on my computer, you can't hold down the special key all the time since it will jam the keyboard.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length