The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:28 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Druuge Methodology *Spoiler/s*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Druuge Methodology *Spoiler/s*  (Read 3380 times)
johnnyd
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Druuge Methodology *Spoiler/s*
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:05:01 am »

Howdy Folks,

*Caution, Intended Disscussion May Cause or Contain Spoliers*

As far as I am aware, this wasnt/isnt under discussion anywhere else that I could find in the forum or referenced FAQ, and I believe I'm posting it in the right spot.

I have a question about Methodology concerning dealings with the Druuge in game terms.  Many moons ago when I originally played this on the PC (back in the DOS6/Win3.1 days), the conclusion of this was in my utter refusal to trade anything with the Druuge, especially my crew, which (as anyone whos played the game can guess), caused a small problem with the progression of the game.  My resolution at the time, given what you find out about the past actions of the Druuge and eventually having the Burvixese HyperWave Caster on hand was to use the BHC while in the Druuge home system, drawing the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah who would eventually turn up and wipe them out (An irony I found most amusing at the time).   You could then scavenge the necessary oddiment from their destroyed homeworld after waiting a while, although you would have to fight a few Kohr-Ah ships still in orbit to do so.

Now, I'm playing through the UQM port, and this particular strategy doesnt seem to bring about the desired effect anymore, leaving you with some pretty poor choices, although choices none the less.  I mean, its been a while since I played, and I guess my question is, "Is this strategy still viable?", since the UQM is based on different code from the PC version I originally played and perhaps this option no longer exists ?

A big thanks goes out for anyone who has any answers for this one, JD.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
Re: Druuge Methodology *Spoiler/s*
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 08:28:33 am »

Using the caster does not bring the Kor-Ah down on the Druuge.
The Druuge just happen to be the first race to get wiped out at
the end of the game. You can wait until the end to salvage the
goods. Or, you could gather egg case fragments from the Mycon sphere
and sell those, one at a time. As far as I know, there are three egg
cases, so you'll have lots to trade.

What sound does a penguin make?
johnnyd
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 08:47:43 am »

Thanks Zeep-Eeep, I guess I was misinterpreting what turns out to be coincidental timing, as this was done quite late in the game.
Art

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:11:45 pm »

Right, the Kohr-Ah have put all Cleansing on hold during the Doctrinal Conflict (they were actually in the middle of Cleansing the Utwig when the Kzer-Za came by and interrupted everything).

Anyway, you could just trade with the Druuge and then let them get genocided anyway, so that they won't be able to do anything nefarious with the technology you give them, all of which seems like it'd be depressingly useful for their various wicked schemes. Even the egg case fragments  -- the most innocuous use for which would be to make stronger, longer-lasting furnaces and the nastiest use for which would be to create tame Deep Children to use as weapons and planetary-engineering tools -- a shattered world has its molten heavy metals right on the surface, great for mining.

But I never thought genocide was a good thing for civilized races to do, even as a pre-emptive strategy (one reason I'm still kinda uncomfortable with the way the Thraddash-Ilwrath war turned out). I prefer to just incur heavy financial losses on the Druuge using the fuel trick, then hope that the peaceful new order forged by the New Alliance finds a way to keep those bastards in check.
Kizor, lost his password.

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 05:08:23 pm »

Say what  you will, I still hold that using a Hyperwave Caster to wipe out the Druuge would be helluva cool.

Anyway, I hadn't picked up on the Kohr-Ah almost Cleansing the Utwig. Could someone drop a relevant quote?
Art

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:16:50 am »

Ask them about the Ur-Quan and they'll say they haven't encountered them, but that they sound similar to the Kohr-Ah, who attacked them recently.

"When the Kohr-Ah started to press towards our homeworld
we thought that our deserved punishment was being administered.
But then, a mystery? They suddenly became disinterested and veered away."
Mr._Jangles
Zebranky food

Ahhhhhhh the spyware!!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 03:23:21 am »

Im sorta newb, i dunno bout "fuel trick" it when u take 8 high eff. fuel tanks and ruin the druuge?

please don't strike me down like a mis-behaving puppy  Tongue

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Mr. Jangles....

Zelnick: "Surrender or die"

Kohr-Ah: "Our counter to your statement is simpler,
                just 'die'."
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 07:01:01 am »

Yeah.... its when you take your ship - fill it all with high capacity fuel tanks - go to the druuge trading center and have them fill up the tanks by trading the burvix caster. Go back to your starbase, sell the fuel and voila! Lots of cash to boot!

BTW - This trick is all over the forums and hint manuals - try doing a forum search first next time.....  :-/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length