The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:45:08 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers*  (Read 89679 times)
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
Re: Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2003, 09:50:22 pm »

From the SC2 manual:
Like Earthlings, the Yehat entered space without the assistance of a more
advanced race.  It is not surprising that they grant Earthlings such high
honor and status for the same achievement.

Although the Humans didn't uplift themselves to Space, maybe they were lifted from the Stone Age by the Arilou...

Um, Culture20?  Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Or did you mean to say "Althouth the Humans did uplift themselves"?

In any case, You are correct that it is found in SC2 as well.  I forgot that it's in the manual, I was just thinking about the game...

As far as the Arilou uplifting us from the Stone Age, that's an interesting idea.  Anyone have any evidence, for or against?

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Hentai007

Email
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2003, 02:56:48 am »

Since i got this game as a kid i wondered what the 'above/below' refrence is , i do no think they are in refrence to a place but a time. i think the Orz are what the Arilou were, the Arilou from a previous time since its pretty obvious they do not live in our 'time' so this could be quite possible.
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2003, 04:50:59 am »

Now THAT's an intriguing thought...suppose the Orz interacted with the humans in what would have been our stone age, and taking on human characteristics due to some symbiotic relationship with us, and eventually becoming the Arilou.

Of course, that poses the question of why exactly the Arilou tell you not to trust the Orz...
night_rogue
Zebranky food

*Enjoy* the *sauce*. It is too *frumple*.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2003, 06:08:21 am »

As far as the Arilou uplifting us from the Stone Age, that's an interesting idea.  Anyone have any evidence, for or against?

The Arilou imply this, but do not state it directly.

You might even say we knew the first human

You have painted our pictures on cave walls, erected standing stones and pyramids for us.

What's interesting is that the only other race they mention in relation to them is the Orz, and they clearly don't like them. They don't give squat about other races, not even the Androsynth. The Orz also mentioned we were different than the androsynth, and considering we're genetically and precisely the same, there must be a greater difference. Why would the Arilou invest into the humans so much, since the beginning of our history?

*Enjoy* the *sauce*. It is too *frumple*.
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2003, 07:17:14 am »

The Orz also mentioned we were different than the androsynth, and considering we're genetically and precisely the same, there must be a greater difference.

Actually, we're NOT the same.  They're sterile, and we're not.  That might seem like nitpicking, but in the grand scheme of things, it makes a HUGE difference, even if the dna strand is almost identical.  It makes us into a viable species, and keeps the Androsynth from being such.
Fotsev
Zebranky food

Greetings and Felicitations!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2003, 07:28:23 am »

Perhaps the Arilou/Orz are part of the whole ancient Egyptian Horus/Set war.  Arilou could be Horus, Orz could be Set.

Ah, the mysteries of the Universe.
Try to understand 'em, but can you?
Nope, they're mysteries!
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2003, 07:35:08 am »

Gah!  Stargate is bleeding over into my Star Control!  (Er, I mean Ur-Quan Masters...)

Seriously, though, I don't know that the Arilou would pose as gods.  They would be advanced, certainly, and powerful, but they don't lie, at least not directly.

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Mu
Zebranky food

I do not know.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2003, 08:30:29 am »

Just some observations:
If we in 3 dim. view the "unfolding" of 4 dim, like a series of projections, or 'time', then any n-level being should see time as the "unfolding" of n+1 dim., with similar uncertainties. (I guess.) If appears that to us, in 3 are unable to separate duality(n-1) from our thought, or communication. So I think, maybe Orz can only reduce it's thought or comm. to (n-1) too.
I think this corelates with some of the further above.
For those who read flatland, seeing a dim. below is not, in fact, like seeing it's 'future/past/present' but more like seeing it's inside and outside at the same time. If each lower dim. is projected from the one 'outside' of it, then time is an illusion from which no being escapes. The translator is 'translating consciousness. ' from our point of view(as someone mentioned).
I think many of the theories above are fascinating and I apologize if I repeated someone's ideas.
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2003, 09:45:21 pm »

No, they wouldn't lie, but I'll bet you that they WOULD come down to earth, do something amazing in the presence of humans who could never understand it, then fly back up into space and watch our reaction like we were little kids.  ("Oh, look!  They think we're gods!  How adorable!")
Hentai007

Email
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2003, 11:39:04 pm »

Now THAT's an intriguing thought...suppose the Orz interacted with the humans in what would have been our stone age, and taking on human characteristics due to some symbiotic relationship with us, and eventually becoming the Arilou.

Of course, that poses the question of why exactly the Arilou tell you not to trust the Orz...

I assume because they were a bit less carefull with how they treated other life forms earlier in theyre evolution.. hense the poor cloneboys.
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2003, 02:26:08 am »

True.  But the Arilou think so highly of themselves, you'd think they'd be a little less harsh with the Orz if the Orz were...er...also...themselves.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2003, 03:33:18 am »

It's not possible since the Orz couldn't have *smelled* our *level* until the Androsynth started messing with Dimensional Fatigue.

Also, when the Arilou realized they have found our *level* they made sure the Orz can't *smell* us.

Hence Arilou were here before the Orz.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 03:34:16 am by Censored » Logged

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
wminsing
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2003, 05:24:25 am »

Oh My God!!  It's the thread that won't die!!

Grin

Back to the debate

-Will
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2003, 02:02:25 pm »

Here's a question I've beeen wondering about on the Arilou-Orz theme.. The Arilou mention that they wont help you, because in the last war so many of them were forcibly "discorporated" or some such. The Orz tell us they're just "fingers" and not like us.

So, given that you can blow both kinds up, what kind of bodies do they leave? I mean, I assume the Arilou actually have regualr bodies, due to the fact that they seem individual and "real" so to speak. Btu what happens to a "finger" when it dies? Does it dissolve and fade away? Or does it leave a body behind to be examined? and ifso, what could be leanred from this? If the body is real and physical, it must have some sort of contact with the Orz home, otherwise, it wouldn't be able to move it's fingers. When the body dies, is the contact svered? Or what?

What's up doc?
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2003, 04:14:02 pm »

I think you are treating the word "fingers" too verbally. Let's use the Star-Trek Borg analogy - each ship is a part of a huge collective. That'd make sense - the Orz's "fingers" are simply ships sent through the portal to our dimesion. That's the only reason they're called "fingers" - because it's not the whole race, just an expedition, so to speak.
I don't say the Orz have a collective mind, but perhaps an overlord..

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length