The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:21 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers*  (Read 89671 times)
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
Re: Arilou and the Orz: What's the Deal? *spoilers
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2002, 03:28:34 am »

PsiPfi - WOW.  There must have been some fairly substantial effort involved in making that list.

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
Mage

Email
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2002, 05:35:27 am »

Oh well, you could be right, speculation is probably pointless. But, this could be our last chance to do it. Once the UQM is out for awhile, less and less people will come here and the forum will be taken down. After which, if we still wish to keep talking about SC (which I won't be doing after there is no more UQM news) we'll have to go to one of the fan boards where you post something and a week later you'll get a reply. Then in a month you'll get another one and a good 3 months later you'll responded to every one of your 5 total replies. Wink

True, true.  Certainly the speculations being developed here point to where the original creators probably would have gone with the story (ie, the Orz's "process", an idea which definitely is sequel-worthy) but until the creators/authors make a return to this we can only go so far.  

Though apparently it's a moot issue to begin with for me  Roll Eyes
ASCI_Blue
Zebranky food

Penguin army Commander

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2002, 11:27:49 pm »

The Orz process is quite interesting. There was supposed to be a part in the real SC3 (not the joke from Accolade) that involved it.
PsiPhi
Frungy champion

To be idle is to be ideal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2002, 01:00:10 am »

PsiPfi - WOW.  There must have been some fairly substantial effort involved in making that list.

It had to be done Azarule.  Those are direct quotes from the text file.  In order to reach some form of consensus, I felt it important we look at every mention of *party* by the Orz.

(oh, and it's spelled)
-PsiPhi
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 03:43:02 pm by PsiPhi » Logged
hihhu

Email
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2002, 01:19:42 pm »

I have been wondering how much of the Orz' language can be accounted for by the fact, that they or their manifestations are fish. At least *Enjoy the sauce* makes pretty instant sense from a fishy point of view. If they are deep-sea fish, the basic pointers of the passage of time (sun, stars, yadda) are missing, replaced by changes in the seas, which may not be seasonal or in any way indicative of past time. Also the *above* and *below* could be "fishy" concepts, since movement in those directions is very natural for fish, but for humans walking upwards implies different things than walking forward.
PsiPhi
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2002, 04:03:14 pm »

I have been wondering how much of the Orz' language can be accounted for by the fact, that they or their manifestations are fish. At least *Enjoy the sauce* makes pretty instant sense from a fishy point of view. If they are deep-sea fish, the basic pointers of the passage of time (sun, stars, yadda) are missing, replaced by changes in the seas, which may not be seasonal or in any way indicative of past time. Also the *above* and *below* could be "fishy" concepts, since movement in those directions is very natural for fish, but for humans walking upwards implies different things than walking forward.

So, what are you thinking ... tartar *sauce*?  Then perhaps that phrase is the Orz insult for "bite me"?  Lastly, should we infer then that the Orz are telling us the Arilou have gill-slits hidden somewhere on their bodies?  Wait ... NO ... Wings!   Wink

-PsiPhi
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2002, 08:24:05 pm »

Through reasonable collective discussion, we can come togehter to agree that both our points can fit into the meanings.  This is just part of the brilliance of this game.  It always leaves you guessing and dying for more.  There is always things you don't get to understand, but are driven mad trying.  Paul and Fred definitely captured this and used it to make all these people completely addicted to their story.
Whew, just started thinking of all the possibilities. Even several new "original" StarCons won't answer our questions. Following ideas are sequel/prequel worthy, just to answer us some questions:

Prequels:
 The Syreen voyage
 The Ur-Quan slave revolt
 The Taalo hide
 FRUNGY!
 The Mael-Num hide'run
 The Druuge treaching the Burvixese
 a kind of a civilization-style game with the Zoq-Fot-Piq vs. Zebranky
 The Adaption of the Shofixti by the Yehat
 FRUNGY!
 The development of the symbiotic relation between the Supox and the Utwig

Sequels:
 The Orz *Everything* *Story*
 The plan of the Arilou
 The findings of the Mark II
 FRUNGY!
 The Mycon story (could also be a prequel)
 The Umgah story (are they products of their own ancestors, tampering with the genes of others in their race? Do the live in brains and move "normal" bipedal beigns by touching certain nerves?
 The Shofixti/Yehat/Pkunk Threesome
 The Melnorme long range plan
 The Voyage to the Galactic core, to find out about the Rainbow-Planets
 More FRUNGY!
 Trapping the *NGNN*

Okay, some are going to be just time-killers like Solitaire (only more addictive), but
TFB, I think you've got more work than you have accounted for. So get starting! PLEASE![/i][/u]   Roll Eyes

As for the Taalo, make no mistake. I've never said that they are now part of the Orz or are even willing to go through this *party* experience.  If any thing, it seems that they are completely uninsterested and trying to avoid the Orz.
That fits my feelings of the Orz-Taalo-Story also best.

Thank you Krulle for sharing your points and backing them with plausible data.  I only try to do the same.  I think through calm, reasonable discussion, we can learn more by fleshing out our points in a constructive manner.
That's what discussions are for.

Good evening everybody!
Drakthius
Zebranky food

Supox Blade ownz j00!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2002, 08:42:05 pm »

I believe similarly in that I think that the Orz are either the eternal1s themselves, as a projection into normal space or that they are a herald of the eternal1s, preforming similarly to the race calling themselves the heralds in scIII, but they, being as a similar form of existence as the eternal1s have to 'project' themselves from their space.

- Captain Grass of the blade ship Dark Thistle
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2002, 08:43:37 pm »

Okay, Krulle...

I don't think they need to make umpteen billion games just to answer one little question per game.

I actually think that things like Frungy ought to remain unanswered.

It's like in Calvin and Hobbes, whenever they talk about the "noodle incident".  There are no details, and I think that's awesome.  Things like Frungy would lose their magic if they were explained away.  I like far better the guessing and questioning.

That said, I would like to know exactly what happened to teh Taalo... but as for Frungy, the Melnorme's potentially ominous plans, and (as this thread is aobut) the Arilou and Orz, the guessing ismore fun than knowing would be.

Drak:  I realize you're new here... we beat the Eternal1 bit to death earlier in the thread, and finally agreed to leave SC3 out of it...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 08:45:00 pm by ErekLich » Logged

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Drakthius
Zebranky food

Supox Blade ownz j00!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2002, 08:52:00 pm »

Alright then, just having played 1-3 thats the way I've assumed it would work out. SCIII had its problems, but it was a good game and atleast had some overall thought into how it would link to II, I would imagine it would be difficult to do given how the second one ends off. Its like they made SCII to finish off everything but left so much unexplained.

- Captain Grass of the blade ship Dark Thistle
hihhu

Email
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2002, 02:15:43 am »

So, what are you thinking ... tartar *sauce*?  Then perhaps that phrase is the Orz insult for "bite me"?  Lastly, should we infer then that the Orz are telling us the Arilou have gill-slits hidden somewhere on their bodies?  Wait ... NO ... Wings!   Wink

-PsiPhi

They are fish, so they most likely have more words for water than one. Most likely these words would mean different mixtures of substances in water and such stuff. Sauce could be a fine approximation of that. Also they live in water, they breathe it, everything they do is done in it and is somehow affected by it. Have a nice life, or maybe have fine weather or some such...

For the Taalo discussion, the Orz say "Taalo are in *heavy space* and next what?" and "They spread to *pretty space* because Dnyarri are chasing them"
So seems to me like they got away.
PsiPhi
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2002, 10:06:45 am »

Okay, Krulle...

I don't think they need to make umpteen billion games just to answer one little question per game.

Actually, I have to agree with Krulle on the spirit of this, but Krulle, you missed out on one area with SO much potential.  A story taking place during the thousands of years of the Sentient Milieu, BEFORE the discovery of the Dnyarri.  There is such much room for originality here.  Who were the Yuli, Drall, Taalo, Mael-Num, Foz, Yuptar and brown Ur-Quan?  If anything, I think a story told from the perspective of the brown Ur-Quan would be ingenius.  Imagine, playing as a member of the race with SUCH a complex future, back when they were basically where the humans are in SC+SC2.

On this point though Ereklich, I couldn't agree more.  Things like Frungy and Nggn are better left mysteries to ponder and enjoy.

Drak:  I realize you're new here... we beat the Eternal1 bit to death earlier in the thread, and finally agreed to leave SC3 out of it...

Thanks Ereklich.  If you didn't say it, I certainly would have.  Drakthius, please know that there are topics specifically dedicated to SCIII on this forum.  I enjoyed SCIII as well, as flawed in linear plot as it was and I also played them in order from SC through SCIII, but read all the past posts on here.  There's a lot ... this is currently one of the most if not the most active topics on the forum.  And I'm afraid I have a large portion of the honor/blame for its length.  If you can't find a topic that fits what you'd like to discuss, start a new one.  Thanks for understanding.

-PsiPhi
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 10:08:57 am by PsiPhi » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
Open questions. FRUNGY!
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2002, 02:40:02 pm »

Actually, I have to agree with Krulle on the spirit of this, but Krulle, you missed out on one area with SO much potential.  A story taking place during the thousands of years of the Sentient Milieu, BEFORE the discovery of the Dnyarri.  There is such much room for originality here.  Who were the Yuli, Drall, Taalo, Mael-Num, Foz, Yuptar and brown Ur-Quan?  If anything, I think a story told from the perspective of the brown Ur-Quan would be ingenius.  Imagine, playing as a member of the race with SUCH a complex future, back when they were basically where the humans are in SC+SC2.
Yeah, you are right about that! Put it on the list of possible prequels.
Another one forgotten is the run of the Precursors running away from whatever they were trying to avoid.

It's like in Calvin and Hobbes, whenever they talk about the "noodle incident".  There are no details, and I think that's awesome.  Things like Frungy would lose their magic if they were explained away.  I like far better the guessing and questioning.
Even I believe, nobody will be able to answer frungy. It's like 42 in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (for me). Yesterday I answered all questions with "FRUNGY!" Man, that was fun, to see all these faces!  Grin   The people just don't know what to ask...
The list was meant as a collection of open ends. Not all answers need to be given, but each game with answers will arise even more questions. Whis to bet on that?
DutchElmDisease

Email
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2002, 07:48:52 am »

RE: Androsynth

I am a little late on this one, but the Androsynth were NOT exact copys of human beings.  They could not reproduce.  Perhaps when human scientist made this change to their DNA they cut out a little bit more than the fun stuff.  (I had always assumed that the Arilou's "changing the smell" occured in pre-human-historic times, anyways.)

Also, reading this quote reminded me of long forgotten confusion:

Taalo are in *heavy space* and next what?  They spread to *Pretty Space* because Dnyarri are chasing them.  Now Dnyarri are sleeping, so Orz can *chase* them.

Am I the only one who thought that the Orz are referring to the Dnyarri, not the Taalo here?  Perhaps the Dnyarri, with all of their psychic powers, could be used as a weapon against the psychic Arilou...

-DutchElmDisease
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
Orz - Dnyarri
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2002, 02:40:33 pm »

Also, reading this quote reminded me of long forgotten confusion:

Taalo are in *heavy space* and next what?  They spread to *Pretty Space* because Dnyarri are chasing them.  Now Dnyarri are sleeping, so Orz can *chase* them.
Hmm, Orz does know the difference between now and then, but his language does not have a past tense. But his language does differ for single beings and mutiple beings (Dnyarri are, Orz is). He uses the singular only for himself.

Am I the only one who thought that the Orz are referring to the Dnyarri, not the Taalo here?  Perhaps the Dnyarri, with all of their psychic powers, could be used as a weapon against the psychic Arilou...
Good point. I've thought of Orz chasing the Dnyarri, but never thought of a reason why.

But i do not believe that he meant chasing the Dnyarri, because Orz couldn't even *smell* this *space*. But the Dnyarri were here, in this dimension. And the Taalo spread into *pretty space*.

Another interesting point: Orz didn't see the Talking pets, he saw the Dnyarri sleeping. He knew about the Dnyarri chasing the Taalo, he knew the Dnyarri are sleeping (remember the Umgah-talking pet talking about his dreams during the several years of subconsciousness?), although he (Orz) wasn't in this dimension and knew nothing about it.
Did the Taalo tell him?
Or are dreams part of another dimension, one in which Orz lives. And he is becoming a living nightmare? HELP!

EDIT: I've just started the Poltergeistalarm! But i know the game, therefor i won't start searching for describtions about being haunted. I'll just dissolve one day. Revenge me, if you still can....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 03:07:36 pm by Krulle » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length