The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:46 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Damn.. I need storyline help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Damn.. I need storyline help  (Read 2844 times)
Raid max

Email
Damn.. I need storyline help
« on: February 26, 2005, 12:37:14 am »

What can I do to prevent the transmit from the Khor-Ah that says something like "We've killed all of this system's life forms including the starbase on earth, you're defeated" (the game ends after the transmit).

How can I prevent that from happening ?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Damn.. I need storyline help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 01:46:55 am »

SPOILERS

You need to complete the game in order for that not to happen. Roll Eyes

You do that by destroying the Sa-matra. You do that by souping up your ship, allying with races and doing tasks for them - how far are you now?  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 01:47:19 am by FalconMWC » Logged
Raid max

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:14:17 am »

Sigh.. not far at all, since I dont even know what the Sa-Matra is. Tongue I'm just after the part where I discover the ruined Ur-Quan Dreadnaught and get the orange item. So if I'm not that far ahead in the game, how come the Khor-Ah starts killing everything so early?
Ohwell, guess I'll have to restart.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:17:49 am »

Providing a proper response is difficult.  You have essentially asked, "How do I not lose the game?"  The simplest answer is "By winning the game."

Of course, that naturally raises the question, "How do I win the game?" which we would not be too inclined to answer directly, for obvious reasons.  Wink

In your case, you've taken too long to beat the game; it has a time limit (I'll not explain the specifics of why there is a time limit to avoid spoiling the game plot)  You'll either want to start over, or load a really old savegame and play through again, only this time, do it faster!  Smiley

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 04:57:39 am »

In the original version, the Melnorme hinted at the time limit. Unfortunately, it wasn't in 3DO, and for some reason the devs refuse to put it back in.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 06:06:46 am »

They probably don't want it back, because there would be no audio to go with it. The melnorme would just stop talking all of a sudden and you'd only be able to read what they were saying.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 08:54:21 pm »

True, but I think it's still better than people not knowing about the time limit and not knowing where the mycon homeworld is.
Art

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 10:38:35 am »

You don't *need* the Metachron info, anyway, any more than you actually need the other Melnorme information. The Metachron in particular is window dressing. You get far more specific information about the existence of the time limit and what to do to avert it elsewhere -- the Zoq-Fot-Pik, for instance.

And the Mycon homeworld's location not being clued is annoying, but I almost felt like it makes the 3DO version more realistic in a way, and more varied. It is kind of forced-feeling when every single time you need to go to a planet someone gives you exact coordinates for where it is. It seems to me to make it more interesting to put points in the game where you know in *general* where to look -- the Mycon sphere of influence is on your map -- but you have to go through, star system by star system, to actually *search* for the important world.
dms
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 03:03:16 am »

Yeah the Kohr-Ah destroying your starbase is essentially a time limit.  The only way to prevent it is to win the game before it happens.

You'll have to restart or go back to an earlier savegame.  I recommend getting the warp pod from the ruined dreadnaught early - it leads to a way to save you a lot of time.

Also, remember to pause the game (or save & quit) when you leave the computer.  Time advances in many parts of the game.
Raid max

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 12:55:56 pm »

Hrm, so does the ingame date and time have anything to do with this?

I mean, the Kohr-Ah starts attacking at a certin date\time ?
Kaiser
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 01:48:36 pm »

Yes.  And you can delay it too depending if you make allies with the right people.
Art

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 07:29:58 pm »

Time actually advances only in the space-travel parts of the game -- the "Navigate" parts of the game. So, as long as you're paused when not Navigating, *especially* in HyperSpace -- use the autopilot almost exclusively in HyperSpace, and never spend time there while not traveling, as time goes faster in HyperSpace than TrueSpace -- you'll be fine. You can, for instance, sit at the StarBase menu, or at a planet lander screen, or in a conversation with an alien indefinitely and not waste any game time.
Bobucles

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 07:14:20 pm »

Let me guess... you went around the galaxy mining planets most of the time?  Grin It happens to just about every first-time player. You don't have to completely soup up your flagship in order to beat the game.  I strongly recommend that you try using your fleet ships. They are much, much cheaper than buying flagship weapons, and there are not many places where you will have to fight a ton.

Remember what Captain Hayes says. Don't spend much longer than the first year mining. You gotta get out there, make alliances, and get the info and items you need to beat the game.
But... if you insist...

There is a local star sector near the Sol system, with gobs and gobs of resources. Unfortunately, the entire sector is filled with hostile ships. You will need to load up your ship with tons of storage, and have maximum speed in order to survive. Tons of ships will be chasing you, and if you get cornered, you will have to fight your way out. The rewards are well worth it however. One full trip will more than adequately outfit your ship, and any extra mining can be done in the course of the game. Or, you could make one and a half trips, and be all set. Just don't take too long doing it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length