The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:12:11 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Black Sky 1.3 alpha is now out!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Black Sky 1.3 alpha is now out!  (Read 2740 times)
ViperG
Zebranky food

Newb Programmer

View Profile WWW
Black Sky 1.3 alpha is now out!
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:55:44 pm »

Go check it out at

http://www.blackskygame.com

michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Black Sky 1.3 alpha is now out!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 02:44:40 am »

at last. but why is 1.3 an alpha?
Bobucles

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 06:03:51 am »

Why do Nvidia drivers apparently get 5 complete overhauls a patch?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
The world may never know.  Roll Eyes
VOiD
*Smell* controller

Resident pseudointellectual

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:16:39 pm »

Go check it out at

http://www.blackskygame.com

Well, I downloaded it and tried it out. The engine seems promising, although I have some difficulty getting to grasps with the inertia physics. But then, I suck at melee.

The BS webpage says "Black Sky is a work in progess [sic] 2d sci-fi space RPG action game". So, exactly how similar to SC2 will this game be? IMO, SC2 has one of the happiest marriages of story elements, rpg elements, action and fun rolled into one rollicking ride you're ever likely to come across. I'm not saying you should copy things, but it's a matter of recognising what elements makes a great game great, and attempting to use those elements in your own way.

On a related note: there seems to be an increasing number of "home-made" games available on the internet these days, and many of these are really quite interesting. But a lot of promising projects seem to fall apart once the developers realise how much work making a game really is. Will Black Sky be one of these?

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
My Deviantart page | My Bandcamp page
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Bright Horizon for Black Sky.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:45:02 pm »

"So, exactly how similar to SC2 will this game be?"

SC2 had excellent combat gameplay, and excellent humor, but in all other areas it seemed to fall short of its forerunner, Starflight. And from what I've absorbed, Black Sky is following more in the footsteps of Starflight, than other space RPGs.

"On a related note: there seems to be an increasing number of "home-made" games available on the internet these days, and many of these are really quite interesting. But a lot of promising projects seem to fall apart once the developers realise how much work making a game really is. Will Black Sky be one of these?"

I have also noticed this happen a lot. But if he thought his project was heading for oblivion, would he be spending all these hours, working on it?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 08:46:53 pm by Deus_Siddis » Logged
grayfox777
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 02:41:29 am »

I went to 227~230, but there was nothing there.  Huh

"If you have 'Peace', you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you." -Spathi
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:24:45 am »

That's your heading, not your destination.

Head for the planet around the origin. Go towards the bottom-left corner of the screen.
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 06:57:00 am »

Nice nice. The controls seem a bit more awkward than I recall from the previous releases. Perhaps this is because I can't get the turret to work, so I'm forced to turn my ship in order to fire.

Currently working on: Going outside more
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Turrets
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 09:37:42 am »

The 1.3 controls may be a little to unwieldy, but the 1.2 flight physics seemed kinda flat. I think it's cool having the ship respond with some realism, the new turning drift included.

The reason your turret isn't working, is because your ship doesn't have one. If this bothers you, you can edit some of the text files to switch out your ship for one with turrets, add one to your ship, or make a completely new one with a 100 turrets, if you like. The new turrets are self operating, so you don't use you mouse to aim it anymore.
ViperG
Zebranky food

Newb Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 09:53:32 am »

If your ship has turrets, you can still control them manually, by hitting Q if you want to.

And yeah, The defiant ship has a little to much kick it its rotation speed.. hehe. So it makes it a little more harder to control.

But don't worry. I'm just throwing stuff in really. Once the game gets into a real production mode, where things are starting to fit, the ill go through and balance things and make them feel better, more responsive.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:55:35 am by ViperG » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length