The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:41:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Some bugs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Some bugs  (Read 2972 times)
Justin Thrall

Email
Some bugs
« on: December 10, 2002, 01:47:10 pm »

Great port!
1.  The game freezes (rarely) when entering new star systems (mostly supergiant stars) and sometimes during dialogue.
2.  When entering a new system, the graphics become weird and my ship leaves a trail and other weird things happen.
3.  Some black "spots" appear throughout the game, like there is a problem redrawing the graphics or something.
4.  The Spathi and Mycon ships (maybe more, not sure) take damage quite often when using their homing weapons.
5.  There are no subtitles when talking to the Yehat.  It pains me because I don't like the Yehat's Scottish accents Smiley
    I think there were some more, but they were pretty minor.  Thank you so much for rewriting this game for XP.  I have spent many fruitless hours trying to get the DOS version to work.  I love you guys and I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Some bugs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 01:59:15 pm »

Please read the stickeyed thread at the top of this forum, as all but your #3 are well known, and in fact fixed in current sources.
Nic.

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 08:07:42 pm »

5.  There are no subtitles when talking to the Yehat.  It pains me because I don't like the Yehat's Scottish accents Smiley

Am I the only one who thinks that the Scottish accents are a brilliant joke?  And the best part is, they do it more than once in the game, and it's always quite fitting in context.

Example:
  • Yehat - A race of warrior-clans, to whom duty and loyalty are paramount virtues.
    Accent: Scottish

• Shofixti - A race of warriors to whom dying in battle is the highest virtue, up to and including the point of intentional suicide.
    Accent: Japanese

• Spathi - A cowardly race, willing to surrender to an aggressor at the first opportunity.
    Accent: French

• Thraddash - An arrogant, dim-witted blustering race who understand nothing but the use of force.
    Accent: American
(Note to the humour-impaired, this is a joke!)
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 08:27:53 pm »

The Spathi have French accents?

It's really hard to tell with their funky synthed-up voice...

I still say the voice acting from SC3 was better... (just about the ONLY good thing that game had!)

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
thejames
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 07:13:24 am »

I didn't see anything in there about the game freezing during speech......
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 07:50:11 am »

The Spathi have French accents?

It's really hard to tell with their funky synthed-up voice...

I still say the voice acting from SC3 was better... (just about the ONLY good thing that game had!)
I didn't notice it myself, until just now.  To really bring out their accent, try threatening Fwiffo at first contact.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length