The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:05:00 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC1 Tactical Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: SC1 Tactical Campaign  (Read 11006 times)
VOiD
*Smell* controller

Resident pseudointellectual

View Profile WWW
Re: SC1 Tactical Campaign
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 06:05:13 pm »

My idea above was just for something strategical that's easy to code. Indeed it wouldn't be as much fun if you're into the whole arcade dogfight aspect of SC.

Some of us around here actually think that SC2 melee combat isn't all that great; It's more of a necessary evil. Personally, I can never get the hang of it. Being a fan of strategy computer and board games, however, an UQM adaptation of the SC1 campaign sounds promising. If it ever gets off the ground, that is.

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
My Deviantart page | My Bandcamp page
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 08:16:27 pm »

Chenjesu shoot lightning. Earthlings are predators, too.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 09:31:35 pm »

Syreen would own them all though, literally.

Remember, most of their ship is a psionic amplifier. They're not Dnyarri. And can we stop this topic drift? If we want to have Starchon, that would be another discussion.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 09:32:26 pm by Death_999 » Logged
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 10:09:22 pm »

What is Starchon?
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 12:42:17 am »

What is Starchon?

Archon in space. Starcon is not Starchon.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 03:55:08 am »

I'm not talking about a game where you order lifeforms around, at all. I mean a pure action game like super melee, only with the actual sentients, themselves.

Maybe some people would mistake it for a pokemon game or something, but it might be a cool new spin-off of this universe. Perhaps it could also have Starflight sentients (with permission of course).
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 05:05:35 am »

My idea above was just for something strategical that's easy to code

Ah, I see. I'm more into the combat-part. But, judging from these posts, there are also people who might enjoy your idea, Arne.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 05:06:12 am by GeomanNL » Logged
Art

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 07:45:37 am »

The Orz Space Marines seem to indicate that the Orz have a leg up on the competition when it comes to ground combat -- what with their big exosuits and all. (As befits the way they apparently overcame the Androsynth.)

I don't actually imagine Ur-Quan being that great at hand-to-hand combat outside the right environment -- they apparently grew up in some kind of rainforest where they had a canopy to cling to. In an open-air environment they'd probably be a lot less mobile. In any case hand-to-hand combat with lesser species is exactly the sort of thing they'd think was beneath them.

Syreen psychic powers are probably a lot weaker without those psionic amplifier gadgets built into the Penetrator -- the fact that Syreen "hypnosis" seems a lot weaker and more limited than Dnyarri "mind control" is probably why the Kzer-Za didn't slaughter the Syreen as a threat.

And any ground-combat sim would seem by necessity to leave certain species out of the game. Mycon, for instance, would simply find it impossible (indeed, half their motivation in the game is the simple fact that they *can't survive* on most other people's planets). And I'm not sure the Probes actually *have* mobile units inside them, rather than just being a big mass of circuits. And the Arilou don't seem to be the type who would go for mano a mano fights. Nor the Pkunk. Nor the Spathi (though *literally* arming a single panicked Spathi with a howitzer would actually be pretty funny).
Art

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 07:47:17 am »

Chenjesu shoot lightning. Earthlings are predators, too.

I don't know if Chenjesu can actually "shoot lightning" with enough power to kill people -- they use electromagnetic fields to lift stuff and move it around, but that's different from killing people. It seems like without a technological matrix around to work with the Chenjesu crystals are actually sessile, which puts them at a disadvantage in ground combat. And I do believe the SC manuals say the Chenjesu have a naturally pacifistic bent because they evolved as autotrophs, getting energy from sunlight and chemicals, and never having to compete with other living things to survive.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 08:17:00 pm »

It doesn't really matter if you can't prove they could generate enough electricity to kill something in the original game. You simply make them powerful enough to kill in the ground combat game.

You would take every species' pros and cons and turn them into something. Yehat can fly but are somewhat weak, chenjesu are slow but are durable and possess a powerful attack, arilou have a long ranged telekinetic attack but it is not very powerful, pkunk have a more powerful closer in psychic attack and can run very fast, vux spit glue velvet worm style, mycon spray magma but have to retreat underground to recover after a short time (which leaves them vulnerable for some seconds while they dig through the crust), humans are versatile but lack any one great strength, ilwrath can launch a tarantula style hair attack, supox have an acid attack, zogs-fots-piks are weak individually but deadly when the three are combined, shofixti have extremely quick and ferocious attacks, etc.

And remember, just as in the original games, different species would be worth different levels of points, so they are not all equal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:18:58 pm by Deus_Siddis » Logged
Art

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 01:33:39 am »

Wasn't SC2 originally going to have a much more complex away team system for landing on planets, where assigning crew members of different races would affect how they survived on the planet's surface? Something like that would be an interesting way to integrate something like this into an SC2-like game.

One thing you could do would be to give the Yehat some sort of electromagnetic shielding or manipulating ability. The game does say that the Yehat somehow can naturally perceive electromagnetic fields, and that this ability somehow is linked to their ability to develop impenetrable force-shields for their ships.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 02:13:04 am »

Wonderful. Can we move this arena game into a new thread, and let this thread actually deal with the SC1 Tactical Campaign?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 04:02:42 am »

This thread has already dealt with the strategy game topic. There are one or two people working on purely strategy starcontrol games. I don't know what else can be said about this.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 05:38:59 am »

I don't know what to say either... but who would win, Skeletor or Chairman Mao, if they had to fight with chopsticks?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 06:33:43 am »

Does anyone know of any possible mod candidates for creating either of these two games? Especially from freeware games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length