The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:32 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Toys for Bob sold to Activision
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Toys for Bob sold to Activision  (Read 8617 times)
Jeff

Email
Re: Toys for Bob sold to Activision
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 05:14:38 am »

Sad

Sounds like they've permanently lost their creative drive, and are willing to take a shaft-in-the-ass deal for money.  I can't say I blame 'em, as money is important to make and the easier the better.  At least they're happy about it. But it sounds like they'll be making forgettable derivative kids movie license games for a long time to come.

There is a profitable market for original games, despite what Activision or EA's short-sighted managers may blabber about.  For instance (although I know little about the game or its progress), it seemed like Minions could have been a strong seller among the word-of-mouth online-sales games.  Graphics barely matter in these games, they just has to be fun.  It sounds like this exclusive contract/buyout will prevent any sort of side project TFB could produce though.  I hope they got a lot of money!
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: Toys for Bob sold to Activision
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 08:25:00 am »

It's kind of sad that they left Crystal Dynamics to pursue their own creative interests, only to become Activision's lackeys two years later.

Honestly, I seriously doubt another Star Control will see the light of day. Minions or some other original non-SC game has a better chance, but I still wouldn't count on it.

I can kind of understand them not wanting to take risks though. Back when they made SC2, they were willing to go for 6 months without funding from Accolade, because they were that passionate about the game. But now they have families to support and a bunch of employees to pay.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:02:16 am by JWJ » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length