The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Famous Ur-Quan Battles Volume IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Famous Ur-Quan Battles Volume IV  (Read 17666 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Famous Ur-Quan Battles Volume IV
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 11:32:53 pm »

Actually, there are some simple changes we can make that will bring SC2's melee closer to SC1's.

1) un-truncate the Umgah cone, make it wider and longer.

2) make the arena a touch smaller

There may be some other subtle modifications needed.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 09:44:00 pm »

SC2's multiplayer owns SC1's. The supermelee has far more variety and replay value. If you really want to, you can easily set up an old hierarchy vs. old Alliance battle, which destroys your main complaint about supermelee. And I use the lower-tier ships all the time. SC2's melee is pretty well-balanced.  I'd argue it's more strategic than SC1's melee, because you have to build a balanced team (you cannot bring in a fleet of chmmrs and beat a competent player), and there's still the tactical questions of "What ship should I use to fight this ship?" that were present in SC1. The only things about SC1 I miss are strategy mode and the cool technical readouts.

Anyway, I agree that DOSBox is the best option for you, because no offense, but you're the only one here who seems to care this much about SC1.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:46:54 pm by JWJ » Logged
shishkabab
Zebranky food

*kolorabi*

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 03:05:35 am »

no offense, but you're the only one here who seems to care this much about SC1.

i do Sad

sc 1 melee own, 1 thing that i really miss in sc1 is the androsynth guardian option to toggle the blazer mode on and off whenever i wanted to.
it is so annoying to waste all my energy cause i wanted 2 blaze only for 1 sec.
GameMusic
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 02:59:09 pm »

I downloaded SC1 after reading this and while it's fun, it seems too short and the map screen messes the game up a lot.  The 3D star map is more realistic than SC2's hyperspace, but it just doesn't work in game.  Most of the challenge of the game is in figuring out what paths you're allowed to take.  The strategy system is good otherwise, though, and I'd like to see somebody make that SC2 strategy game.  I actually prefer it to SC2's system in some ways, and a combination of SC2's hyperspace and RPG with SC1's strategy could be an excellent game.

The biggest difference in melee is the Yehat ship, which in SC1 is actually very fast.  It would probably be easy to add approximations of the SC1 versions of some ships to the SC2 fan games.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 07:54:45 pm »

What is the Earthling Cruiser like in SC1?
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 09:11:15 pm »

The Androsynth is good enough as is. It doesn't need a boost.
shishkabab
Zebranky food

*kolorabi*

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2005, 03:37:41 am »

The Androsynth is good enough as is. It doesn't need a boost.

i wouldnt call adding an "on\off" toggle for the androsynth blaze mode a boost, this option is to basic to be called as a boost.
annoying that i have to waste all my energy on a single blaze without any option to stop the waste of energy or atlist  a good explanation about y cant the androsynth stop the blaze mode -
its not like they cant shut their power supplies to the blaze mode battary to simulate a situation of an empty battary.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 05:48:35 pm »

i wouldnt call adding an "on\off" toggle for the androsynth blaze mode a boost, this option is to basic to be called as a boost.

Let us know when you have the patch done so that we may playtest it, then.  Or were you proposing that others do your work for you, for free?  If that's the case, then We'll Get Right On That™.  "Idea men" are about as useful to this project as tits on a bull, and in grand forum tradition, you are cordially invited to either put up or shut up.

its not like they cant shut their power supplies to the blaze mode battary to simulate a situation of an empty battary.

Um, it's EXACTLY like that, at least as the game is currently coded.  And it's fairly obviously done as a game-balance issue: your slow-moving, slow-turning ship has the ability to turn into a fast-moving, fast turning ship.  The only way to keep the ship from being too powerful would be to put constraints on the ability, like "when you come out of fast mode, your batteries are empty and your inertia is zeroed"  Which is exactly what happens.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
shishkabab
Zebranky food

*kolorabi*

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 06:07:19 pm »

Let us know when you have the patch done so that we may playtest it, then.  Or were you proposing that others do your work for you, for free?  If that's the case, then We'll Get Right On That™.  "Idea men" are about as useful to this project as tits on a bull, and in grand forum tradition, you are cordially invited to either put up or shut up.

if u`ll learn 2 read better - u`dd notice that i didnt ask anyone to add this thing into the game,
i just mentioned one of the things that i miss in sc1 and expressed my opinion about it.
i c nothing wrong about that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 06:08:16 pm by shishkabab » Logged
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 08:02:19 pm »

if u`ll learn 2 read better - u`dd notice that i didnt ask anyone to add this thing into the game,

I sincerely hope you're being ironic.  If you wrote your posts in anything resembling an actual language, other folks wouldn't have so much...difficulty reading them.

i just mentioned one of the things that i miss in sc1 and expressed my opinion about it.
i c nothing wrong about that.

That's super -- except for the fact that the feature you mention does not exist in SC1.  And I'm fairly certain of this, being as I just checked 30 seconds ago.  So what exactly are we talking about again?

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 09:07:46 pm »

Now, now. This board is a good place for anyone to share their ideas about how they think the game should be (even though us developers are not likely act on them). People are welcome to do so.
This is not a board for the UQM developers, it is a board for everyone who's got something to say about UQM.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2005, 09:41:49 pm »

"This board is a good place for anyone to share their ideas about how they think the game should be."

Alrighty then, here's what you should do. Replace the cruiser art with a toothbrush and the dreadnaught with a green apple. Replace the current starmap with a monopoly board. Make it so combat happens 20 times slower. Instead of the player having the vindicator for a flagship, give him a scout. He can add extra energy dart modules as he gains resources. Oh, one last thing, replace all the names in the credits with the brand names of leading laxatives.

Alright, so how 'bout it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:59:28 pm by Deus_Siddis » Logged
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2005, 11:20:24 pm »

"Make it so combat happens 10 times faster"
you can do that in sc2(the real one).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:20:45 pm by michael » Logged
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2005, 06:49:57 am »

When you pass Sol, you get 200 resources?   Roll Eyes

"Stay on Topic.."  -Gold Five
"We're too close!" -Gold Leader
"Stay on Topic."  -Gold Five
"Loosen up!"  -Gold Leader

When you pass into your next turn you get 200 starbucks?  That better Gold Five?  You hear me Gold Five?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2005, 07:37:27 pm »

*Enormous explosion as Gold Squadron is vaporized and the topic is flung away spiralling into deep space.

So... when do you think FUQ Battles Vol 1 will be remade?

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length