The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:29 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  cheat codes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: cheat codes  (Read 35572 times)
cloneof
Frungy champion

CAN I HAS FRUNGY?

View Profile
cheat codes
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:28:06 pm »

the Ur-Quan masters is great great but there is somethin missing. and i feal it is the cheat codes think about it almost every great game has somethin  "cheat" like unlimited life or somethin like that, what you think guys?

FRUNGY, FRUNGY, FRUNGY!!!
Mr.__Fwiffo
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: cheat codes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:36:41 pm »

I don't think those should be allowed to corrupt this honest, straight game.   Tongue
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:15:25 pm »

they would ruin the ballance of the game as one playthrough with cheats and you know where all the stuff is.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 09:17:28 pm »

First and foremost, this is already done in the current development snapshots.  Uncomment the entry in keys.cfg for the "Debug" key to enable cheating.  Pressing the Debug key in-game gives you a full assortment of weapons, reveals all of the alien "spheres of influence" on the map, and it will also toggle an "instant travel through hyperspace" mode (press the Debug key repeatedly to enable/disable this mode)  These are "sample" behaviours, if you get the source code and build your own game, you can make the Debug key do whatever you like.  e.g., I once used it as a "jettison fuel" button, to find/test/fix a weird corner case with the starbase at the beginning of the game.  It is very useful.

But I suppose this raises the larger question of "who are the cheat codes really made for?"

In the strictest sense, I would posit that cheat codes are made for the game developers themselves, and any benefit to players is a side-effect.  If, as a developer, you complete a new feature, and want to do proper regression testing, you would ostensibly hack a mechanism into the program to allow you to turn it on and off, so that you could find and test all the corner cases with a minimum of fuss.  Once you have proved the code "correct", you can either "dead code" the mechanism to turn it on and off, or you can leave it around as an "easter egg", or god forbid, another feature.  Smiley

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
cloneof
Frungy champion

CAN I HAS FRUNGY?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 09:19:32 pm »

well there is one walktrough madet

FRUNGY, FRUNGY, FRUNGY!!!
Olethros et Teleute
Zebranky food

We are one with Juffo-Wup!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 11:31:05 am »

Actually, I wouldn't mind a cheat either -- I already beat the game, so I wouldn't mind being able to go back through it at full power this time around.  Maybe the game could generate a save-game that starts you out at the beginning with unlimited resources once you've beaten it the first time ^_^.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:40:50 am »

Cheat codes seem too much like, er, cheating.

What sound does a penguin make?
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 09:46:25 am »

There are ways to mine and get unlimited resources rather quickly...well not literally unlimited but more RU than you will ever use.  You haven't mastered the game if you're worried about something like this off of your first playthrough.

There's more than enough RU in the game if you search and find the right spots to do whatever you dream to do in the game.  In fact there's been numerous threads posted to that end, and several systems of lists too.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a cheat either -- I already beat the game, so I wouldn't mind being able to go back through it at full power this time around.

harth1026
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 02:02:45 am »

I don't know about cheat codes, but since we do have the source code, I just decided to make my earthling cruiser extremely powerful with the point defense laser.  Since there isn't any enemy cruisers out there, I don't have to worry about getting my ass kicked by my own cheat.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 02:55:42 am »

How powerful did you make it?
harth1026
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 08:45:33 pm »

To turn the Earthling Cruiser into the ultimate cheese machine, I just edited the following defines in HUMAN.C

#define ENERGY_REGENERATION 5
#define WEAPON_ENERGY_COST 1
#define SPECIAL_ENERGY_COST 1
#define ENERGY_WAIT 1
#define WEAPON_WAIT 2
#define SPECIAL_WAIT 0
#define LASER_RANGE (UWORD)300

Yeah, this is way too powerful, but I already beat the game on the 3DO so I really don't care.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 09:01:05 pm »

Hehe, it must look like a laser show from hell.

What if you just did this:

Nuke: 6 points damage

Laser: 2 points damage

Crew: 20

That would be a powerful but balanced ship. If that wasn't enough, you could increase energy regeneration or speed/acceleration.
harth1026
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 12:06:02 am »

Balanced ships are for when I play against other people.  Cheating is good for when I'm playing against the computer and I want to let out my frustrations.

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 12:57:46 am »

To turn the Earthling Cruiser into the ultimate cheese machine, I just edited the following defines in HUMAN.C

#define ENERGY_REGENERATION 5
#define WEAPON_ENERGY_COST 1
#define SPECIAL_ENERGY_COST 1
#define ENERGY_WAIT 1
#define WEAPON_WAIT 2
#define SPECIAL_WAIT 0
#define LASER_RANGE (UWORD)300

Yeah, this is way too powerful, but I already beat the game on the 3DO so I really don't care.

Is there any way to do that on the Mac version?
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 01:15:31 am »

Is there any way to do that on the Mac version?

Absolutely.  You'll need to install XCode, though (XCode is provided on the OSX install DVD, but it's not installed by default) and then get the source code for the game, and all the required Frameworks to make it build.  The instructions for actually building the game are found elsewhere on these forums.

The bulk of the Frameworks you'll need are provided in binary form here:

http://www.submedia.net/uqm/

...except for SDL, which maintains their own binary distribution here:

http://www.libsdl.org/

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length