The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:50:54 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Favorite Sci-Fi Ship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Sci-Fi Ship  (Read 7998 times)
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
Re: Favorite Sci-Fi Ship
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 07:58:24 am »

The nice thing about the Elite ships is that they're very simple in design compared to most ships in scifi. Sadly they went a little nuts in the third game, and the PC version sort of ruined the stylistic polygon approach with textures.. Here's a Java thing (3D). Crazy colors though. In the Amiga version of Frontier the ASP explorer was gret and dark grey I think.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 01:28:29 am »

"Seriously though, that is waay neat. I hereby declare it one of my new goals in life... To be a passenger in a Starfury."

You want to ride around in a repair pod? That is your dream? I wonder what your hobbies are. Perhaps book refinnishing or cat dentistry.

I guess it's better than pickin' up rocks in your vibrationless space tractor. Tongue

I'll make sure to send you a postcard from space, you picky planetbound perp. And if you look up at Mars one day, and find that someone riding a fantastic space-tractor has carved a rather rude message into the surface, it wasn't me.

Aside from that, this gives me an idea for the sci-fi vechicles thread.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 01:33:30 am by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Slylendro|nh

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 09:32:58 am »

The first ones from Sigma957(Babylon5) and the Chmmr.
I like detailed ships(detailed by effects not mesh)
Razorback
Frungy champion

We are all *happy campers*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 01:45:18 am »

I really like the Enterprise-A as well.  Those older Starfleet ships could really take a pounding!  Ever notice how quick the D was to go "pop" in comparison?   Grin  Other than that one, I like the looks of the big battlecruisers that were used in B5, the Agamemnon and the like.

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Against All Odds.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 02:05:03 am »

"I'll make sure to send you a postcard from space, you picky planetbound perp."

Just as long as I don't have to pay the postage. I have to wonder what the per ounce cost is to send something between the two planets.

"And if you look up at Mars one day, and find that someone riding a fantastic space-tractor has carved a rather rude message into the surface, it wasn't me."

My eyesight is not quiet good enough for that, I'm afraid. To me mars looks like a red spot. Perhaps if I had a telescope, though it will still have to be very big and would be difficult to make, with all the permits you'd have to get from the martians.

It's a good idea though. If I were living back in the day, it would not have been a face that was carved into the martian crust. Cheesy

"I really like the Enterprise-A as well."

Yea, the refit wasn't bad.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 03:24:45 am by Deus_Siddis » Logged
jack_cloudy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2005, 01:17:53 am »

My favorite sci-fi ships are these (at the moments offcourse, you never know when something totally awesome shows up on television.)

Cobra MIII: I just love its design in the third elite game, especially the one with the teeth. Smiley

Asp explorer: Fast, big firepower and looks that are beatiful in its simplicity, what more could you want? Cheesy

Boa: The most beatiful tradingship in the elite series.

Uhleck warship: This one is from starflight. Fast, beautiful, lots of shields and armour and the most damaging weapon in said game, plasmabolts.

Black Hole: True, this one is from my imagination, but take a race that's from the previous galaxy (ie the galaxy that existed before ours. So they had a couple billion years to develop their technology) let them built a ten kilometres long warship with four planet destroying beams, thousands of turrets, missile launchers, robotic fighters, and an engine that can cruise trough the galaxy like its just a few metres big, and you've got one hell of a ship that I would just love to fly someday. To bad that this is just wishful thinking on my part. Cry

,,That was the worst and most boring movie I’ve ever seen. Lousy special effects.” Sergeant ironhead. The real reason why the alien brain on Cydonia was destroyed while in the middle of displaying a message telling the X-com operatives not to fire.

Hoe meer zielen, hoe meer vreugd! (yes I'm dutch)
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2005, 08:46:11 am »

Not my official favorite (see above), but the Magog Worldship from Andromeda is interesting.  Several planets joined together by bars around a small star, which fires mini-black holes.

Here's my theory on how it is propelled; spoiler texted for those who haven't watched the series:
Stars in the Andromeda universe are living beings (Trance Gemeni), and can move.  The star at the center of the magog worldship is what created the magog, and what moves the "ship"
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Against All Odds.
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 11:47:01 pm »

"I'll make sure to send you a postcard from space, you picky planetbound perp."

Just as long as I don't have to pay the postage. I have to wonder what the per ounce cost is to send something between the two planets.

If you recall, this was from the repair pod. No postage required, just careful aim and a sturdy container.

What's up doc?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Favorite Sci-Fi Mail Service
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 12:58:23 am »

It would probably be helpful if you knew what continent I was on and such. Searching for a postcard on a planet is a lot harder than looking for a needle in a haystack. At least you could use a magnet on the needle.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 01:14:46 am »

Even when handling regular postcards it is assumed that one knows the adress of the recipient. The same goes here.

What's up doc?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Favorite Delivery System
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 06:12:39 am »

Yes, but if you could launch the mail pod accurately enough to land it in my mailbox, you still would not be able to slow it down enough, so as not to destroy it, in addition to the aforementioned mailbox. This would bring new meaning to the term "hate mail". Still, why must an innocent mailbox have to pay for my faults? Is it one's place to burden the harmless timbers and sheet metal of a simple message storage unit, with the speeding death that only a martian starfury orbital repair pod, carrying an obscene vacation post card, could deliver?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 09:01:07 pm »

Your conception of interplanetary mail delivery is naive and ultimately neglects the central concepts of 'mail'. Most mail is not directly thrown; rather, sent via regular channels equipped for receipt and redirection.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:01:41 pm by Death_999 » Logged
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 10:46:32 pm »

Yes, but how much more fun it is that way... Wink

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
Deadly Consequences
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 02:32:52 am »

"Your conception of interplanetary mail delivery is naive and ultimately neglects the central concepts of 'mail'. Most mail is not directly thrown; rather, sent via regular channels equipped for receipt and redirection."

That is correct. Most mail is no longer sent by hurling. In this new millenium, we use electronic mail or "email" for short. Email is sent by computers using an alpha burst of electromagnetic energy. This is bounced off the upper atmospheric layers for short ranged communication or off the moon for long distance, intraplanetary communication. The problem with email is that it cannot be sent too far outside of the earth's radiation shadow, or else the signal will slowly be consumed by tacheons and metachlorians.

"Yes, but how much more fun it is that way..."

Yea, well is it fun for the hundreds of mailboxes killed by converted nasa starfury former repair pod postcard carriers, every year? They don't even get hazardous duty pay. If something is not done to spread awarness and slow the usage of deadly space messages, this increasingly rare breed may soon go extict. The choice is yours to make. Cry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:33:29 am by Deus_Siddis » Logged
Skarrde
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 05:55:04 am »

Vaygr Battlecruiser from Homeworld 2

it looks intimidating, has a big gun that'd put an Ur-Quan to shame, and its just dang cool to mow down the enemy mothership with  Cool
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 05:55:21 am by Skarrde » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length