The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:09:56 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Help for a poor semi-computer-literate boy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help for a poor semi-computer-literate boy  (Read 2996 times)
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
Help for a poor semi-computer-literate boy
« on: December 12, 2002, 02:42:50 am »

Hello all...

I am running Windows XP.  I have the CDs for Microsoft Visual Studio, including C++, I think 6.0 but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I haven't reinstalled them yet since I had to reformat my drive... but that's not the point here.

Assuming I go to the trouble to get C++ back on my computer and download the CVS, how do I go about compiling it?  I am new to such things, and have little clue where to start.

Also, does the new code _replace_ 0.1, or is it a kind-of sort-of _patch_ for 0.1?

Thanks in advance!

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
mstr

Email
Re: Help for a poor semi-computer-literate boy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 12:54:54 pm »

You have to download some libraries and headers, then add their paths to visual c++. After that, it's all just a click of make project button.
PsiPhi
Frungy champion

To be idle is to be ideal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 02:49:53 pm »

Ok, Ereklich, I don't have Windows XP, but I do have Windows98se and VSC++ 6.0.  I learned how to get the code through CVS from the sourceforge site.  This did take me a while because it took some time for me to understand how to use CVS and how to access their servers for the code as anonymous.  But once I had the code, my troubles weren't over.
   If I recall, part of the CVS download is a text file explaining how to build in VSC++.  They tell you exactly where you will need to go to get all those libraries mstr mentioned.  They even provide the links.  You need to download these various software development kits (SDKs), uncompress and install them.  I believe they are OpenAL from Creative, SDL, SDL_image and Ogg Vorbis.
  You will need to open the project file they have already created ... nice and convenient.  However, this is where I had the most trouble, even more time spent than figuring CVS out.
  Adding the paths to the libraries is not as easy as mstr makes it sound, unless you are already very familiar with how VSC++ works.  Now, I've used VSC++ before, but never for anything on this scale.  I have experience programming, but certainly not at this level.  Finding the right place to add those paths to the project took longer than I thought.  I just wasn't having much luck with it.
  Eventually, I managed to get it to compile with no errors.  I then executed the created exe file.  Although I was able to see the intro screen, and fly to earth, the second I reached the space station, the program froze.  I tried again, same problem.
  What I believe is that I didn't add the library paths to the project correctly or maybe the dlls weren't in the right place.  It just seemed more hassle than it was worth.
  My patience exhausted, I decided to just wait for the alpha release, which thankfully was only a few weeks later.
  Having played the alpha for a while, I see that I gave up too quickly.  This is definitely "worth the hassle".
  Reading through the Changlog, I can see that a lot of really annoying bugs have been fixed and cool things added, like the rotating planet and again I am tempted to redo this process all over.  Maybe this time I can get the libraries to be recognized correctly.
  If you haven't done much with VSC++, you'll probably have trouble or in the least it will take you time to learn how to use the compiler.

I wish you luck.  Maybe this weekend, I'll give it another try myself.

-PsiPhi
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 02:52:39 pm by PsiPhi » Logged
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 08:21:26 pm »

yeesh... the core team makes it sound so easy.

Unfortunately I can't reinstall VSC++ for another week, but at that time I hope to have enough time...

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
PsiPhi
Frungy champion

To be idle is to be ideal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 10:53:14 am »

Well ErekLich, if you have any questions while trying it, ask, and if I'm around, I'll see if I can help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length