The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:42:26 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  got a cd-burner? (was: CR/LF problems?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: got a cd-burner? (was: CR/LF problems?)  (Read 17024 times)
Nic.

Email
got a cd-burner? (was: CR/LF problems?)
« on: November 10, 2002, 09:16:12 pm »

What is the exact nature of the CR/LF problems you mention in the TODO file?  Are they going into the repository when they shouldn't be, or coming out of the repository w/o them when they should be??

If it's the former case, I've got a perl script that you can jam into CVSROOT to handle stripping unwanted characters out when you don't want them.  Used it for many months on some fairly big projects, so it's tested.  If it's the latter case, never mind.  Wink

Also, wrt other items in the TODO list, I might be able to help you cook an ISO image for a bootable Linux CD once someone can explain how one intends to save games to a read-only medium Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 02:39:06 am by Nic. » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: CR/LF problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 04:30:46 pm »

We'd want  files with DOS format line endings to be automatically translated.
A script  in CVSROOT would be the normal way to do that, but cvs needs to be told to use them, which is done by the -t switch in cvswrappers, which, as the rest of the item in TODO reads, is disabled on sourceforge.
It's not really a problem anymore though, as everyone commits with unix file endings nowadays.

About the ISO image, there was someone else who was working on that, but I haven't heard about it for a while. The save games and configation files would ofcourse be stored on the hard disk itself. (or if you want, a floppy). It might look for some standard locations on boot, or it could ask for a location.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Nic.

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 06:08:30 pm »

A script  in CVSROOT would be the normal way to do that, but cvs needs to be told to use them, which is done by the -t switch in cvswrappers, which, as the rest of the item in TODO reads, is disabled on sourceforge.

If commitinfo files aren't disabled, then you can still run a pre-process on the files beofre they go in; in fact that's where my script lives.  At the very least, it ensures against needless diffs due to EOL mismatches..

The save games and configation files would ofcourse be stored on the hard disk itself. (or if you want, a floppy).

That's what I would have figured, but from what I've read <http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfsdriver> you're stuffed if the user has an exclusively NTFS setup, and would be forced to use floppies.  Kind of a bad deal, but I could come up with some manner of over-wrought scheme involving ramdisks and synchronizing floppy filesystems in the background if there's serious interest in this kind of thing..  (in other words, I'm eager to help) Smiley
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 08:09:25 pm »

If commitinfo files aren't disabled, then you can still run a pre-process on the files beofre they go in; in fact that's where my script lives.  At the very least, it ensures against needless diffs due to EOL mismatches.

Hmm... sounds like a good solution. I'll give it a try.

That's what I would have figured, but from what I've read <http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfsdriver> you're stuffed if the user has an exclusively NTFS setup, and would be forced to use floppies.  Kind of a bad deal, but I could come up with some manner of over-wrought scheme involving ramdisks and synchronizing floppy filesystems in the background if there's serious interest in this kind of thing..  (in other words, I'm eager to help)

ramdisks and synchronizing floppy filesystems? Why not mount the floppy to use synchronous I/O?
Anyhow, if you're interested in helping, it would be a good idea to come in in the #sc2 channel on irc.freenode.org, and have a chat.

when the Creators return
Nic.

Email
got a cd-burner and nothing better to do?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 10:52:49 am »

Also, wrt other items in the TODO list, I might be able to help you cook an ISO image for a bootable Linux CD once someone can explain how one intends to save games to a read-only medium Cheesy

Since I got frustrated with staring at the UQM code and not being able to figure how how to do what I wanted to do, and since the patches I do submit to the coredev guys are just stacking up in Bugzilla anyways, (you'd think they had day jobs or something Wink )  I decided to spend a little time doing what I really love to do - gluing together software packages to make them do something fun.  Hence, the bootable CD image of UQM!

http://www.submedia.net/uqm/uqm.iso.gz (8.4MB download)

For details on how it "works", see Bugzilla Bug #298, but for the most part I'm interested in people trying this out, and telling me when/how it breaks on them.  So, if you've got a CD burner and nothing better to do for a while, give it a shot.  At the bare minimum, it may prove a handy way to bring Super-Melee over to a friends' house.  Smiley
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 04:10:40 am »

Hey Nic,

I tried this out.... worked like a charm... with Music and all (I have an original SB Live! card!)

Only tried Melee... when exiting it said something about SVGALib.conf (actually, I can't remember the file name for sure, but it was something about vga and lib) could not be found at a specific path /nic/xx/xxxx/xxx etc...

Also said the mouse could not be initialized.

BTW, what version is this? 0.2 or some version b/w 0.2 and 0.3?

Still, pretty cool... I'll have to throw this in my laptop bag  Grin

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Nic.

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 05:32:33 pm »

I tried this out.... worked like a charm... with Music and all (I have an original SB Live! card!)

<mr lastname="burns">
   Excellent.
</mr>

I'm re-working the way sound support is done by the CD; so either it'll stop working on the next pass, or it'll work for nearly everyone.  Smiley

Only tried Melee... when exiting it said something about SVGALib.conf (actually, I can't remember the file name for sure, but it was something about vga and lib) could not be found at a specific path /nic/xx/xxxx/xxx etc...

Also said the mouse could not be initialized.

The first error message is getting truncated, the part you're not seeing says "using safe defaults", which means it's a "benign" error; but I'll make sure that libsvga looks in a sane location for the config files, and put some configs where they are expected.

As for the second message -- yep, it'll do that.  I didn't build mouse support into the kernel, since the game doesn't use the mouse.  For similar reasons I also left out PCMCIA, HAM radio and 8-way serial port support.  Wink

BTW, what version is this? 0.2 or some version b/w 0.2 and 0.3?

It's a stock 0.2, except for a small edit to hide the mouse pointer in fullscreen mode.  If it were any newer, you'd see the version number in the lower-right corner of the opening menu.

I'm seriously considering bringing it up to 0.21, because 0.2 leaks memory like it's going out of style, and 0.21 corrects some of the more egregious cases of that; but then it's a question of whether or not to apply all the not-yet-in-CVS patches in Bugzilla as well, and I didn't want to go there..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 07:40:13 pm by Nic. » Logged
Nic.

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 12:21:02 pm »

Update: I have a swank new CD image available for download here:

http://www.submedia.net/uqm/uqm.iso.gz

This version probes your audio hardware on startup and attempts to load the proper driver, if it fails to figure out what manner of soundcard you have, it tries a SoundBlaster-compatible driver (if all else fails it will run the game in "no sound" mode)

It also launches the game automatically, and will respawn the game if it terminates.  Very nice for demo purposes.

Ctrl-Alt-F2 will show you the debug output from the game.  Ctrl-Alt-F3 will spawn an "emergency shell", that you can use to putter around the system, mount/unmount disks, etc.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 returns you to the game console.

On "slow" machines (< 1000 BogoMIPS) it will run the game w/o scaling, on "fast" machines it will run the game with bilinear scaling.

Aside from adding support for saving games to a "non-volatile" medium (e.g., floppies or local HDD), I think this one can be considered "mostly-feature-complete".  If you've got a CD burner and some time to spare, please try it and let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 07:13:44 pm by Nic. » Logged
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
Re: got a cd-burner? (was: CR/LF problems?)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 08:24:00 am »

Am I the only one trying these out?  Wink

I just tried the updated version and it worked great.  Melee was all I tried.  Sound worked fine and I exited it by hitting F12 and it started right back up again.  

I guess my machine is a "Fast" one as it enabled scaling  Tongue

This is a cool thing, keep it up!  Grin

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Nic.

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 08:57:41 pm »

Am I the only one trying these out?  Wink

Just about..  Smiley

I'm guessing most of the "disinterest" in this sub-project is:
  • everyone already has the "full" game installed, on their native platform, so why bother with mine?
  • you can't save games in any meaningful way with it
  • nobody reads the tech issues forum
The first one is quite compelling, the only thing I can say is "it's still in alpha!  y'all should be helping the cause by testing!" and hope that somebody listens.

The second one is tricky, because there is no reliable r/w access to NTFS filesystems under Linux (thanks for not releasing a spec, Microsoft!) and newer PCs are shipping without floppy drives in them, leaving me with nowhere to stash files permanently.  I've got a few really bad ideas on how to cope with this, but I'm hoping that I'll have some good ones to replace them soon.  Smiley

As for the third...  Maybe it's better that it's so quiet over here..  Tongue
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 09:53:44 pm »

I'm guessing most of the "disinterest" in this sub-project is:
  • everyone already has the "full" game installed, on their native platform, so why bother with mine?
  • you can't save games in any meaningful way with it
  • nobody reads the tech issues forum
How about:
  • The ISO is only 8 MB, so the speech must be missing. If the speech were there, the ISO would be too big for me to download practically.
  • I do enough rebooting already, thank you.
  • I like to hack the source.
  • CDs are slow.
  • You aren't producing new ISOs as quickly as updates reach CVS, anyway, so I'd have to use an old version.
  • Burning a CD takes some extra time.
Now, when we start to approach v1.0, I can start impressing/scaring people by converting their PCs into Linux/UQM boxen in two minutes. Cheesy

The second one is tricky, because there is no reliable r/w access to NTFS filesystems under Linux (thanks for not releasing a spec, Microsoft!) and newer PCs are shipping without floppy drives in them, leaving me with nowhere to stash files permanently.
How about using some of that "reserved" space in the boot sector? Grin Alternatively, add network support and upload the save games to an FTP server, or an USB memory card or something else neat.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 12:07:02 am »

Well, I like it. It's easy to carry with you to show other people the game.

when the Creators return
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 12:45:58 pm »

Well, I like it. It's easy to carry with you to show other people the game.
True. Personally, I'll start the propaganda drive when I don't need to say "Oh yeah, there should be [missing part] here, but it hasn't been implemented yet." all the time when showing this to someone.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
MrMorden

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 03:18:37 pm »

Just for the coolness I had to try this.

Unfortionately the game doesn't respond when pressing any keys on my Compaq Presario Notebook. Not even if I attach an external keyboard it responds. Although the game seems to run, shifting beteween the load/save/melee and the title screen.

On another (stationary) machine it worked just fine although slower then running the game under Win98SE.
Nic.

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 08:00:20 pm »

I find this quite ironic:  The kernel configuration that I based this on originally ran on a Dell Latitude and a Toshiba Portege, (in fact it is still running on both of them, and rather well at that) neither of which had any problems with keyboard detection; however, when I attempted to run it on my desktop (ATX mombo) it refused to detect my keyboard until I installed full USB HID support (for posterity, I have a PS/2 keyboard.  Makes no sense?  I know.).  So, foreseeing problems, I poured through the kernel configs and turned on every feature that looked like it might be even remotely related to driving the keyboard, and yet there are still computers who can't find their keyboards.  *sigh*

I do see some keyboard-related fixes in the newest stable Linux kernel, so I'll look into updating that to see if it corrects anything, and perhaps I'll stick the CVS version of UQM on the CD to alleviate one of the other concerns voiced so far.  Smiley

The "slow" may be because it's not using OpenGL, and if it thinks your machine can take it, it will enable bilinear scaling (which since it's not using OpenGL, is not hardware-accelerated); not a whole lot that can be done there until there's a seperate config program (and a place to permanently write config files, reliably)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 10:10:34 pm by Nic. » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length