The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:49:19 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What is the best way to run/convert UQM's .ogg files?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is the best way to run/convert UQM's .ogg files?  (Read 2536 times)
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
What is the best way to run/convert UQM's .ogg files?
« on: September 03, 2005, 07:06:03 pm »

What Is the best freeware media player that can run .ogg files and their usual codecs (like whatever UQM uses)?

Is there a freeware program that can convert .ogg files into .mp3 or .wav?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: What is the best way to run/convert UQM's .ogg files?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 07:38:51 pm »

Presuming you're using Windows, I'd suggest WinAMP.
As for converting .ogg files to .mp3, I wouldn't do that, you'll lose quality. If you really insist, I think Winamp can output to file. But I don't really use Windows myself these days.
Btw, the Precursor tracks are also available as .mp3 from their website.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 09:34:09 pm »

The Xiph.org download page contains a lot of Ogg stuff. I think the DirectShow filters are especially interesting to Windows users, as a lot of Windows-based players will use those.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:08:54 pm »

"As for converting .ogg files to .mp3, I wouldn't do that, you'll lose quality."

So then you're saying that .ogg and .mp3 probably use different methods of compression (if mp3 has more than one codec at all), or are you saying I should convert uncompressed .ogg to uncompressed .wav (or the like) so that I can keep the music unaltered?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 05:36:17 pm »

Converting from uncompressed to mp3 throws away information. Converting from .mp3 to .ogg vorbis too. There may be some overlap, but by recompressing you'll end up with parts of both being thrown away.

So if you want mp3 files it's best to convert from the source material directly to mp3 (which is what the Precursors did for their mp3 releases). Converting from compressed ogg vorbis to uncompressed .wav will keep the flaws introduced by the ogg compression.

The .mp3 file format only holds Mpeg 2 layer 3 compressed audio. There are other container formats which can hold mp3 encoding though. The audio in a .avi file for instance.
.ogg is also a container format, but what's usually put in there is vorbis encoded audio.
.wav files can contain some different kinds of encoding, but it's mostly used for uncompressed data.

Reasons for using ogg vorbis instead of mp3 include that ogg vorbis is not encumbered by patents, and that it produces a better sound quality for the same file size.

when the Creators return
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 06:49:21 pm »

.mp3 files are MPEG-1 layer 3 audio (in some cases MPEG-2 layer 3, but this is nonstandard), commonly known as MP3, while .ogg files are Ogg container files that, in the case of music, typically contain Vorbis audio. Both MP3 and Vorbis are lossy audio codecs based on a psychoacoustic model applied to MDCT-transformed data, but are otherwise quite different. Converting MP3 to Vorbis will result in a quality loss due to the codecs throwing away different parts of the audio signal.

WAV files usually contain uncompressed audio, but can also be used as a container format for other formats, such as MP3.

Generally speaking, there is little reason to convert between Vorbis and MP3 unless you don't have the original uncompressed data and want to play the file on a platform or program lacking support for the format you have the data in. Some portable MP3 player hardware also supports Vorbis, but MP3 still has much better support in portable devices. Both MP3 and Vorbis are well supported by PC/workstation player software, although support in applications bundled with OSes may vary a lot. For example, Windows XP plays MP3 out of the box, but not Vorbis (Vorbis was not very widespread when XP was released). SuSE Linux 9.3, on the other hand, only supports MP3 playback in RealPlayer (!) out of the box, but has extensive Vorbis support (due to patent issues in the USA, apparently, MP3 support is available only through online update).

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 06:41:21 pm »

"Converting from uncompressed to mp3 throws away information. Converting from .mp3 to .ogg vorbis too. There may be some overlap, but by recompressing you'll end up with parts of both being thrown away.

So if you want mp3 files it's best to convert from the source material directly to mp3 (which is what the Precursors did for their mp3 releases). Converting from compressed ogg vorbis to uncompressed .wav will keep the flaws introduced by the ogg compression."

Being somewhat of a purist, I'd probably convert to .wav then.

"Reasons for using ogg vorbis instead of mp3 include that ogg vorbis is not encumbered by patents, and that it produces a better sound quality for the same file size."

So then it sounds like .mp3 is obsolete. Kind of like dvds, english, or dos (in its day); a primitive and inferior form of communication that is so standardized and widespread that nobody can give it up. Smiley

"Generally speaking, there is little reason to convert between Vorbis and MP3 unless you don't have the original uncompressed data and want to play the file on a platform or program lacking support for the format you have the data in."

Bingo. But since I have not yet completely cluttered up my hardrive, I can probably afford to just have some more .wav files.

"although support in applications bundled with OSes may vary a lot. For example, Windows XP plays MP3 out of the box, but not Vorbis (Vorbis was not very widespread when XP was released)."

I hope longhorn (or whatever it will be called) has better support.

Thanks for all the information, I never really understood that much about music containers and codecs, or which to use.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 07:06:40 pm »

Being somewhat of a purist, I'd probably convert to .wav then.
From what? If you don't have the source material, why not keep them in the format they're in?

So then it sounds like .mp3 is obsolete. Kind of like dvds, english, or dos (in its day); a primitive and inferior form of communication that is so standardized and widespread that nobody can give it up. Smiley
There are a couple of competeting formats on quality. But yes, mp3 is (technologically) outdated.

I hope longhorn (or whatever it will be called) has better support.
You can still install the ogg vorbis windows codecs (download here), so you can play them natively.
Or you can install a recent version from Winamp which includes ogg vorbis codecs.

when the Creators return
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 05:22:57 am »

Cool, now media player runs the oggs, no hassel. I didn't know it could be altered by a third party upgrade easily.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length