The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:54:29 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Could UQM 2D arts be updated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Could UQM 2D arts be updated?  (Read 3491 times)
ar81
Zebranky food

View Profile
Could UQM 2D arts be updated?
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:22:45 pm »

I mean character portraits...
Could they be updated?
Those are good, but I bet they could be improved.
I bet it's possible to do so...
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Could UQM 2D arts be updated?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:29:12 pm »

It's impossible. There just aren't any skilled volunteers.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 01:17:04 am »

However, should you come across any
skilled artists with nothing better to
do (really what could be better?) than
fixing up thirteen year old sci-fi character
images, please point them in this direction.

The pay is lousy, but the game is fun.

What sound does a penguin make?
ar81
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:05:54 pm »

What are the specs for the portrait anims?
How many frames per anim?
Max resolution?
Format?
fossil
Core Team
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:59:51 am »

We have not examined the comm animations in any kind of *great* detail. I can only tell you loose specs with specific caveats. Please also keep in mind that since the animation definitions are currently hard-coded in .c files (src/sc2code/comm/[race]/[race]c.c) the most you can do is make the current animations prettier, but you cannot change them a whole lot. Consult the source code for the animation definitions.
In general:
* The size currently used is 243x107 pixels, and since UQM can only handle the 320x240 mode internally, you need to stick to this size.
* The comm animations that do *not* use palette animation can be truecolor (16-32bpp, your choice), but the ones that do use palette substitution must be 8bpp paletted using the exact same palettes they are using now. The ones that do use palette substitution are the Slylandro home, Chmmr, Commander Hayes, Melnorme, Orz, Spathi home, Syreen. If I forgot some, look at the source and look for COLORXFORM_ANIM flag set on some animation definition and for the XFormPLUT() calls in the same code. Remaking the palette animations into regular kind is not currently feasible, since producing all possible animation combinations with all possible colormaps would be insane.
* Animation frames may or may not have to use transparency, that all depends on a particular animation and whether its frames step on other animations for the same race
* Some animations have to loop
* The frame rates are dictated by the current definitions in the .c files

Once the definitions are unhardcoded (placed into separate def files) some rules will change:
* There are no hard limits on animation length, except for "whatever makes sense". You should generally not exceed 40fps for the animations, but again, just use common sense.

I would also hold off on working on races that utilize palette animation until the palettes are separated from the main bulk colormap into the separate respective race colormaps.
I'd say overall it looks pretty grim right now.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 03:51:13 am »

"The size currently used is 243x107 pixels, and since UQM can only handle the 320x240 mode internally, you need to stick to this size."

Hmm, I'm not sure how much of an improvement in quality could be made if it has to stay at that resolution. Undecided
ar81
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:46:42 pm »

I was just wondering about it, because if such hardcoding could be hacked, I bet many people might like to make their own comms, just as you can make your OGGs now.

If such anims were coded in a layered way, flexible and resolution independant, it would surely encourage artists to be part of this.

BTW, I found a BIG community of artists, called "Elfwood".
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/
There are LOTS of artists there and I bet that among MANY artists the chances of making things interesting for talented one might be higher.

Look at the SF&F galleries...
Some are good, some arent.

I'd help but right now I am making stuff for another game.
If you want to see my SC pics, those are at http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/fan/3drender13.shtml

I am mostly good for drawing, not very good for modelling and I don't know too much about layering/transparency, etc...  but I bet making new comms anim would be interesting someday.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:45:24 pm »

A few searches on Elfwood turned up two artists with Star Control fan art: Tiina Aumala and Kerstin Lönnberg. These ladies may be interested in doing new comm artwork.

Interestingly, both seem to be from Finland. Aumala seems to be quite talented (see e.g. this Yehat/Pkunk pic).

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:02:27 am »

I'll wait till there's some more dynamic forms of implementation/modding. XML-ish support and automatical recognition of resourses... that sort of stuff.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length