The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:18 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM Recreation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: UQM Recreation  (Read 82500 times)
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Ship of the Day: Supox Blade.
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2006, 08:53:34 am »

I know she’s not much to look at but the logic is there and fully functional.

I mostly continued with the re-factoring of the code. So that is why it didn’t do something more complex.

meep-eep your arguments have swayed me. I’ll leave the events in. I will have to somehow enforce strict discipline when it comes to what registers with the events though.

Now I need to go to bed so I can get some homework done in the morning.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: UQM Recreation
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2006, 08:28:40 pm »

Lateral movement is working & everything? I must say, you never cease to amaze; it's one thing to take weeks or months to get it perfect, and quite another to get complex behaviors like these done in less than a day.

*Applauds*
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Ship of the Day: N/A
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2006, 08:36:42 am »

Lateral movement is working & everything? I must say, you never cease to amaze; it's one thing to take weeks or months to get it perfect, and quite another to get complex behaviors like these done in less than a day.

*Applauds*

*bows*   Grin

Thanks. I always appreciate words of encouragement.

Sorry no ship of the day today. I instead continued with the re-factoring and recoding of certain things. Today I pulled all the logic out of the weapons and put it in a class called WeaponsLogic. Then I replaced the InstantExplosion class with that one that implemented… Well I did a LOT. What I was going into detail about was that now because of theses changes a lot of redundant code was moved into a generic class and gives the ability to change something in one place and have it affect everything that uses it. The end result is I can now accurately do the Mycon’s primary weapon. I believe that was the last major hurdle to the design, before I believe I can do everything for super melee minus the hyperspace effects and the pkunks hallelujah effect (just the effect not the re-spawning).

Also I’ve started messing around with SDL. And I’m thinking the first thing ill do with SDL is transferring all the controls over to it. Then I’m thinking about trying to add some sound.

I forgot to mention last night that I managed to make it so the ship selection screen is delayed by a little bit, so you can watch the ships blow up.

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Ship of the Day: N/A
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2006, 09:36:30 pm »

*Applauds*

*bows*   Grin

Thanks. I always appreciate words of encouragement.

Sorry no ship of the day today. I instead continued with the re-factoring and recoding of certain things. Today I pulled all the logic out of the weapons and put it in a class called WeaponsLogic. Then I replaced the InstantExplosion class with that one that implemented… Well I did a LOT. What I was going into detail about was that now because of theses changes a lot of redundant code was moved into a generic class and gives the ability to change something in one place and have it affect everything that uses it. The end result is I can now accurately do the Mycon’s primary weapon. I believe that was the last major hurdle to the design, before I believe I can do everything for super melee minus the hyperspace effects and the pkunks hallelujah effect (just the effect not the re-spawning).

Also I’ve started messing around with SDL. And I’m thinking the first thing ill do with SDL is transferring all the controls over to it. Then I’m thinking about trying to add some sound.

I forgot to mention last night that I managed to make it so the ship selection screen is delayed by a little bit, so you can watch the ships blow up.

Wow. That's a lot of progress. You're making my anticipation for the finished product come even closer to my anticipation of the release of TESIV: Oblivion and my acquiration of a PC to run the game with all of the bells and whistles at a silky-smooth framerate, as well as the hope that I get Xbox Live in the near future.

Okay, so there was quite a bit of OT stuff in there-needless to say, the point is that the final product is bound to blow us all away(as well as give a good starting base for my Repulsor game I detailed a few pages back).

Oh, and when't the next release? I wish that you'd get that SVN server of yours up and running again, this time with a link for UQRM...
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Ship of the Day: Mycon Podship.
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2006, 08:20:22 am »

I didn't do anything yesterday concerning this project because the Auto Assault Beta event started yesterday. And I played it during all of my free time.

I did the Mycond Podship for ya guys. The only thing about it that you could consider non functional is when the main weapon takes damage it does not expand to the size appropriate for what damage is left in it.

Oh, and when't the next release? I wish that you'd get that SVN server of yours up and running again, this time with a link for UQRM...

Ask and you shall receive. The SVN server is not mine, but it is up. (only with the Physics Engine).
The Ur-Quan ReMasters

I've dedicate this release to my brother James, who would have been 25 today; if it wasn’t for a climbing accident. James would have loved the fact that I’m remaking this game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:24:42 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2006, 09:52:16 pm »

There is a new Release for you all to download. If you visit this site you can get it.
The Ur-Quan ReMasters

Maybe ya guys miss understood me. Because very few People have downloaded it.

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2006, 10:43:03 pm »

I'm happy just reading about your project for now, but I'm definitely going to download this when it's more complete. I'm awed by the speed at which you're progressing, and will be very very impressed if you manage to keep it up.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2006, 10:54:05 pm »

I'll wait for the Linux version...

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2006, 12:42:14 am »

...and I'll keep an eye out for a MacOS X build...

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Feat of the Day: SDL.Net.
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2006, 09:38:19 am »

I decided it was about time for me to switch over to SDL.Net. So I did.

What this means is that DirectX is no longer required to compile and run my game. In even simpler terms it means it can possibly run on Linux. The thing that really threw me off about OpenGL is that coordinate system is totally different then DirectX. Other then that it was a really simple switch. The status boxes aren’t working yet but that’s the only thing. Right now I’m thinking on how to rewrite the timer for my physics engine so that it’s a lot more consistent. I’ll try running it on a Linux system tomorrow, to see if it will work. I will be testing it on either a Red Hat or a Fedora core system. My Other Brother has Macintosh laptop with MacOS X so I can test it on that too (If he lets me).

I'm happy just reading about your project for now, but I'm definitely going to download this when it's more complete. I'm awed by the speed at which you're progressing, and will be very very impressed if you manage to keep it up.
Unfortunately I didn’t take any blow off classes this semester so I will have to be spending more and more time doing homework and studying. But I will still try.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:40:39 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2006, 02:11:44 pm »

I hear the next version of Fedora will have built in
mono support. This should help those of us
running Linux to enjoy your project.
I've never coded .NET before, but I
might learn just so I can help with
this wonderful project.

What sound does a penguin make?
aguesst

Email
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2006, 04:40:26 pm »

Now, just a quick question about your graphics. Right now it looks like you have flat polygon shapes to define your clipping plane. Are you going to lay a higher resolution 3d model or are you just planning on using a flat 2-d bitmapping to your clipping plane?
Or, and this would be even cooler, are you planning on using some sort of normal mapped flat graphic. That way it would look (mostly) like a really high res graphic with responce to dynamic lights and all, but at a fraction of the cost. The only places that would get sloppy is at the edge of your screen where the perspective wouldn't respond exactly correct, but other than that it'd be cool
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »

Whoa, normal mapping is a tall order for a game where most of the screen is black. Space games have traditionally been able to push more polygons because of the very nature of the scenery, so coding a normal mapper would be more work than it's worth.
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2006, 01:06:09 am »

Indeed. I think BioSlayer is using these 2d polygons as placeholders and boundary/collision boxes. The hope is to get some good 3d models eventually.

Currently working on: Going outside more
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Feat of the Day: Linux!
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2006, 08:06:25 am »

Yep I managed to get it to run on Linux. Do you know what caused the most problems other then the unofficial nature of windows forms in mono? The fact that there is no easy to use installer for SDL.Net on Linux.  I had to comment out a lot of automatically generated code that seems to do nothing. I works for the most part except for a few glaring problems with winforms, but the computer I tested it on has issues.

I also rewrote the timer and it seams to be working a lot better, then the old version.

Halleck is right about the polygons as placeholders.

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length