The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Corrupts my OS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Corrupts my OS  (Read 1429 times)
Roddingham

Email
Corrupts my OS
« on: December 20, 2005, 04:50:25 am »

Hey,

I installed on XP Home and it ran without any problems after install.  Then I tried to boot my computer the next day and it couldn't boot all the way to the desk top.

It would show the Windows Xp on black background with the progress meter, then go black like it was about to go to the desktop.  But instead it would hang for 1 minute then auto re-boot.  I'd get the message  about "problems" and select to boot normally but it would hang and loop again.

Finally, I selected Safe Mode and after several hours and numerous attempts to locate the problem I had to use my XP disc to Repair my OS.

Now all is well but I erased the game before I repaired.

I'm wondering if I should re-attempt to install the game since I was having some boot up problems before (nothing as serious as a loop though).

Opinions?

Thanks, Roddingham.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Corrupts my OS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:30:17 am »

The UQM installer does nothing to your boot procedure. All it installs are the game files (in a directory separate from your Windows installation), the start menu items, and a few registry keys so it knows where to find the game. Add to that that noone has reported a similar problem before, I think I could safely say UQM has nothing to do with your problems.
You may want to check your system for virusses and spyware (none of which come with the official UQM release btw).

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length