The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:33 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A nice idea
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A nice idea  (Read 2294 times)
Stonehead

Email
A nice idea
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:09:58 pm »

I have a good idea. In the next version, you could put in the game some kind of log ... a player where one could store his conversations, because I forget things really fast and it's annoying to write everything down on the paper.
Cheesy
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
Re: A nice idea
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 11:30:26 pm »

I think it's nostalgic and sensible.  Every game that I play that has a log, I pay _less_ attention to the game because I think to myself: "the important stuff is kept in the log, I can forget everything else."
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:45:59 am »

One of the interesting aspects of UQM is finding and deciphering the important clues from the insane amounts of chatter the aliens spout. This rules out providing a log that keeps track of executed quests, planets to check and so on. If you want to take notes yourself, you can use your favourite text editor and/or dead tree marking device.

Currently, the game only logs the last response from whoever you're talking to (pressing [SPACE] displays this, I think). One possible future feature would be to save all conversations to a text file for easy reference.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Stonehead

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 01:27:33 pm »

Actually, you can open pack itself with winRAR and there you have ALL conversations in .txt files , ship images etc.

.uqm file is just oridinary archive Cheesy
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 10:28:13 pm »

Actually, you can open pack itself with winRAR and there you have ALL conversations in .txt files , ship images etc.
... Or with any other archiving tool with PKZip file support. The problem with this is:
  • Instead of getting the conversations you've had, you get all the possible conversations. This means spoilers and a lot of work finding the right parts.
  • Any information generated on the fly (e.g. paid credits, Probe-generated co-ordinates) will be missing.

So, it's not quite the same.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Stonehead

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 02:46:20 pm »

yeah...

but it would be nice to have something ingame for remembering which system you visited, who's homeworld is where, what you have to take in order to do something etc.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 05:59:42 pm »

I'd point out I'm quite happy with using a second window with a text editor.

That out of the way:

Having the starmap have an optional 'footprints' line a la Family Circus would be a simple medium. There, if you could click on any star system you've been to and click on any planet you've flown by to see its moon system and then click on any planet or moon you scanned...

But hunting down the mineral batch you left behind would be a major pain unless the stars and even planets were flagged somehow.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length