The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:55:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Remix Pack 4 - The New Alliance of Free Stars
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Remix Pack 4 - The New Alliance of Free Stars  (Read 200413 times)
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Remix Pack 4 - The New Alliance of Free Stars
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2006, 12:10:50 pm »

*Bubble* *singers* are *squeezing* the *Juice*. It is making me *expand* and *squirt* happy *coloured* *bubbles*! *Singers* are the best *campers* for *slow time* *pleasant combinations*. *Silly cows* are *frumple* because *song* is not *slow time* *bubbles*. If *silly cows* are *spitting* *lumpy* words, Orz are not *squishy*.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2006, 01:13:33 pm »

Not sure I like it. The old .mod was cool because it was deranged. This is something you could attach to the Pkunk or Supox and still have it be in character. The song should say more than "hello, we're your teammates".

I have to agree, this sounds a bit Supox-y or Pkunk-y.  The synth reminds me of Mark Vera's style (as a side note, no ill intetion Wink).

The atmosphere of the Orz music should be friendly yet misunderstood, mysterious, uncanny and even a tad bit spooky. Yet this remix seems to capture only the first of the above.

oh and it seems Novus agrees too!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 01:15:56 pm by Censored » Logged

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2006, 04:45:21 pm »

"The atmosphere of the Orz music should be friendly yet misunderstood, mysterious, uncanny and even a tad bit spooky. Yet this remix seems to capture only the first of the above."

Well, the Orz are not dangerous in SC2, and they are relatively transparent and friendly. They are not especially serious, and they don't have to be. They are so powerful we just seem like toys to them. It is sort of like kids burning ants with a magnifying glass, it isn't considered that dark to us, even if the ants don't enjoy it all that much.

Also, when you remix something, you're not supposed to get too far away from the original. And the original Orz them was not mysterious, spooky, or dark.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2006, 05:40:19 pm »

Hmm... I think some of us are forgetting that the Orz didn't say anything particularly disturbing in SC2. Sure, they did talk about some slightly creepy stuff, which is what initially gave people the impression that they are not all they seem to be, but they didn't seem genuinely dangerous until SC3. Seems as much as we would like to ret-con the game into oblivion, some of it sticks with us anyway...
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »

I've never played SC3, I dont know what goes on there.

The Orz are supposed to make you feel puzzled - in a creepy way. You don't know if to trust them or not. They are friends 'with caution'.

This is what TFB ment and I think it works well. Can't find the original chat log, but a quote:

Are the Orz evil?

Use your imagination. They are if you want them to be or not. Oh, so you want something more official...

Here is what Fred Ford has said about the Orz: "...we wanted the Orz to be much scarier and if you ever took them into Quasi-space with you bad things would happen. We really wanted them to creep you out so that you were never sure whether or not it was a good idea to be allied with them."

http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/faq/#6

and I do think this remix has strayed too far from the original, as you say.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2006, 06:06:52 pm »

This lacks that special sketchiness and, well, alieness of the original. The sound-effect-y-ness of the music was important. What happened to the squeezing sounds and the squirts and creaking?

It's sort of a 'Riff on the Orz theme' rather than an actual 'Orz theme'.

Sounds nice, though.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2006, 10:12:27 pm »

As you guys have already said: it sounds nice, but it doesn't fit the Orz too well... The orz are EEEEEEVIIIIIIIIILLL... Not pkunky/supoxy!

Nice remix, though, sounds awesome...
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2006, 12:24:19 am »

Wow... been a while since I made that Chmmr remix.  Glad to see the positive comments  Grin

I am going through the others now. Always cool to hear the more.. eccentric interpretations. Smiley

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
"Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact."
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2006, 12:01:58 pm »

Wow... been a while since I made that Chmmr remix.  Glad to see the positive comments  Grin

it was you? well done  Cheesy *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

I know this is kind of a dumb question, since of course it was intentional, but what's deal with the pause before the last 20 seconds?

Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2006, 02:06:21 am »

it was you? well done  Cheesy *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

I know this is kind of a dumb question, since of course it was intentional, but what's deal with the pause before the last 20 seconds?

I think I remember adding that because it sounded too jarring without it, right after the fade-out part. Regarding the whole thing though, it sounds fine to me now, but I keep noticing some little things and thinking I could've tweaked/improved them... oh well - you know what they say about hindsight. Wink

As for my comments on the other tracks:

Orz: Very well done - almost Jean Michel Jarre-like. Strays from the original while staying roughly in the same spirit - well, perhaps not as "goofy", but I still think it fits.

Utwig (E. Gätzschmann & T.A. Fjellstad's version): Great dark ambient-style atmospherics - gives off a feeling of terminal despondency to match the Utwig's mood, while the background chants seem to make a fitting reference to the religious/spiritual nature of their ailment. Very well-done.

Utwig (The Ultron - Casey Monroe): The first thing that popped into my mind was... Holy Bobby Prince, Batman (and mind you, this is a compliment)! This is oddly reminiscent of some of his work for the original Wolfenstein 3D series - many of the levels featured similarly gloomy, dirgy funeral marching music. Of course, that was Adlib FM synth music, and this is much more accomplished. Smiley Great work.

Supox: Very eclectic and all-over-the-place, yet at the same time as technically proficient as little else. A lot of talent here - down to the jazzy touches and lead guitar - and amazingly enough, it all works when pieced together! Applause.

Zoq-Fot-Pik: Now, THIS is what "staying true to the original" should always mean. Top-notch stuff -  extremely faithful to how the original sounded and "felt", down to the individual samples, yet still taking advantage of modern technology in such a way that the transition is seamless and feels natural.

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
"Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact."
Gill_Bates
Frungy champion

Dyslectic Devil

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2006, 12:18:14 am »

TilT and Void may guess what I am about to say, but I will say it anyway:

I am a person of musical experiences, when I played star control II the first time, I loved it because it played awesome music on my crappy PC speaker (!!!) like no other game did, and what a music at that. There were 2 tunes that made the difference, first was the hyperspace tune but the most important was the orz tune. Up until first meeting with  the ORZ for the first time I thought this was a nice addictive game, but then as I first heard it, it brought that sense of alien strangeness that made the game a classic to all of us.

So after gushing again I would like to say that this is the remix I waited for the most and... well...
You outdid yourself guys if that is possible. (This means that if you were selling CDs I would be buying them....)

Another awesome tune that fits the game like a glove.

GOD: "Look mommy, I made light!"
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2006, 09:23:06 am »

Gill Bates, our biggest fan. And that's official!  Smiley
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2006, 11:22:04 pm »

I suggest you check his name again. I think Gill, depending on his take on computers, might be insulted that you said that. Tongue
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2006, 01:23:55 am »

maybe you should've said "Gill Bates. Our figgest ban!" instead.

Glidergun

Email
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2006, 06:45:48 pm »

friday friday friday YAY

*waits for more music*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length