The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Muslim caricatures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Muslim caricatures  (Read 25866 times)
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
Re: Muslim caricatures
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2006, 05:03:53 am »

In matters of freedom and free speech, I tend to agree with the famous quote, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." The problem with this whole cartoon fiasco is- where does the other man's nose begin, and who gets to decide?

Currently working on: Going outside more
HalfShadow
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2006, 05:46:25 am »

I was like twelve when I watched through TOS, but wasn't spock happy in a number of episodes, including one where he's not drugged up or anything but is just happy and surprised to see kirk is alive (forgot the details of that episode, but I think he somehow felt or was semi responsible.)

Amok Time. Spock thought he'd killed Kirk. McCoy just drugged him so he'd drop after a while and it'd look like Spock killed him.

There's a reason I'm so apathetic,
but I can't be bothered to tell you.
StaffyStar

Email
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2006, 05:54:57 pm »

It's very interesting if you read the topic and the last message (well not last anymore) Amasing how subjects can change like that is't it? Well it doesnt matter to me since I now know what i wanted to know  Grin
Shiver

Email
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2006, 11:37:06 pm »

Oh great. Now they've done it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq;_ylt=AkjZMKAihsw.h0I8qDQGimGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Protesters in Najaf, Kut and Baghdad's Shiite slum of Sadr City also marched through the streets by the thousands, many shouting anti-American and anti-Israeli slogans and burning those nations' flags.

Notice the typical muslim response to something neither we nor Israel were responsible for. Whoever's making flags out in the middle east must be on the verge of eclipsing Bill Gates at this point.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2006, 12:45:57 am »

That's one thing I often wonder about. If many of these
people are really so oppressed and have trouble buying
food, where do they buy all the $%%^! flags? I have
to look around to find a store that sells _my_ flag. I don't
think I could find a store in this city that would sell
a flag for a middle east, European or Asian country.

What sound does a penguin make?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2006, 01:15:26 am »

"If many of these people are really so oppressed and have trouble buying food, where do they buy all the $%%^! flags?"

You just buy in bulk. Smiley

"Notice the typical muslim response to something neither we nor Israel were responsible for."

"Hello, I am Abdullah Al Muhammed, owner of Flammable Flags 'R Us of Mecca, and I am here to bring you this amazing offer, Ala willing. We have all had one of those days when a great insult to the glories of Islam appears on Al Jazeera, but when we look in our burnable flag closet, there are no flags of the right nationallity to burn! Well not anymore, because no matter what part of the west offends the great unillustratible profit muhammed, you'll have flags to set ablaze! Using the latest in heavenly guidance, we at Flammable Flags have created the ultimate in flag torching- The American/Israeli dual high burner. On one side is printed the great satan, and on the other is the six pointed abomination. Each kit comes with sixty ounces of quick start lighter fluid. The first one hundred callers will get a free, yes FREE, detonation jacket- great for those weekend excursions to martyrdom and paradise!"
staffystar

Email
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2006, 09:47:22 am »

When the average muslim look at europe and america they just see one big nation that's against islam. And with all right. Because when I look at the muslim countries I only see one big muslim extremist country. Yes I know that's not a very nice thing to say, but thats sadly how I feel right now. Im only beeing honst. I belive more in talking about conflicts then trying to ignore them,
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2006, 08:35:17 pm »

I don't think I could find a store in this city that would sell a flag for a middle east, European or Asian country.

Except the Libyan flag and the flag of Dubai, you could probably find those Smiley

However, I can see what they're getting at with burning OUR flag over the mosque bombings: we went in and destabilized the place, so we as occupiers are supposed to be keeping the peace, but we are failing. if it hadn't been for the US, that mosque and many many people would still be whole.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:59:30 pm by Death 999 » Logged
Lukipela_stuck_outside

Email
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2006, 10:54:22 pm »

However, I can see what they're getting at with burning OUR flag over the mosque bombings: we went in and destabilized the place, so we as occupiers are supposed to be keeping the peace, but we are failing. if it hadn't been for the US, that mosque and many many people would still be whole.

I see your point, but I disagree in principle. While I can understand muslims being angry with Denmark because a danish  paper printed offensive comics1, I see little logic in blaming the US for sunni extremists blowing up shiite shrines. Sure, as many of us stated from the beginning, Iraq has become very unstable. Sure, if the US ahd not gone in none of this would be happening2. However, any extremist group that makes the choice to blow up a civilian building is responsible for their own actions. The US destabilized the area, but  "the Sunni Whatever Liberation" chose to blow up a shrine important to their faith. I'd love to see demonstrations all over the arab world against the actual perpetrators of this atrocious act of sacrilege, rather than blaming "the usual guys that are obviously responsible for every bad thing that happens"TM

1As has been stated earleir, the right to demonstrate, and protest, not to burn embassies and go berserk.

2This however isn't really the issue at debate here. If anyone really wants to flog this dead horse, I recommend they first dig up old threads pertaining to the subject and read through them, and then create a new thread where any willing participants can debate if it was wise or not to enter Iraq, and wether it was sound/right/good/whatever.

OT, when I try to log in the board tells me that the security system has been revamped, and then refuses to let me enter. Why is this?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2006, 04:40:01 am »

"OT, when I try to log in the board tells me that the security system has been revamped, and then refuses to let me enter. Why is this?"

Obviously, since you are a grave security threat to this board and all users thereof. Smiley

Welcome back, by the way.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2006, 05:02:55 pm »

Hey, Luki!

I didn't say I AGREE. I said that I can see where they're coming from.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2006, 09:13:09 am »

They should stop burning flags and start burning themselves in protest. It would definitely get the attention of the media.
I can see the headlines now:

Protester lights himself on fire in protest!
Guard mistakes flaming protester for suicide bomber and shoots him!

Would he qualify for the large number of virgins they claim a martyr gets?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:15:28 am by BioSlayer » Logged

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »

LOlLsilly protesters should burn themselves!

Yes, well done. Really added another dimension to the whole "understanding another culture" concept there.

Hey, Luki!

I didn't say I AGREE. I said that I can see where they're coming from.

What's up D-man? Long time no see.

Sorry, my misread. Still, I can't even stretch far enough to see where they are coming from. I mean, sure, there are a LOT of things in Iraq that you can (mindset willing) blame the americans for.  Tons of stuff really.  But, anti-american groups that bomb muslim targets? Not really, I don't even get a faintest connection there.

While were on the subject though, I have  to give full props to the finnish muslim community. Not only did they arrange a peaceful protest against Denmark because of the caricatures, they also arranged a peaceful protest against al-Quaida and the likes after the recent mosque bombing. That's what I call consistency. It really mirrors a double standard to burn danish flags when JP offends your religion, yet not move a muscle when someone blows up one fo your holiest shrines.

Obviously, since you are a grave security threat to this board and all users thereof. Smiley

Welcome back, by the way.

Apparently, my password has changed since I was here last. which is fairly odd. Still, I managed to guess it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:14:39 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2006, 11:11:53 pm »

LOlLsilly protesters should burn themselves!

Yes, well done. Really added another dimension to the whole "understanding another culture" concept there.
Congratulations! You've leveled up in your misquoting skill.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:20 am »

Paraphrasing. And unless you want to pretend that your statement  was meant as a serious suggestion I'd say my quote catches the spirit of your message quite well.

Except the Libyan flag and the flag of Dubai, you could probably find those

I'm probably missing something here, but why those?

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length