The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:17 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Need SC2 source code
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: do you want SC2 on PSP?
YES!!! Sign me up!!   -3 (42.9%)
sure, i guess....   -0 (0%)
i dunno.   -0 (0%)
not really.   -2 (28.6%)
NO WAY!!!!!!!!   -2 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Need SC2 source code  (Read 5766 times)
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
Need SC2 source code
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:24:42 pm »

right now I am trying to port star control 2 to PSP.... though I haven't been able to find a solid source that I can use to build a make of a pbp file... if I could find it then I would be able to release star control 2 on PSP....  basically I wasn't quite sure and kind of in a hurry and wanted to contact someone who has access to it but wasn't quite sure where to look... can anyone help me out?HuhHuh Thanx alot if you can~
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:31:09 pm by staar » Logged
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
Re: NEED SC2 SOURCE CODE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:12:49 pm »

I really wanted to reply to this one, and really didn't at the same time because I realized the extreme simplicity of the answer and didn't want to be mean to someone who didn't know. (under 10 posts I usually try to go easy on.)

Here's the whole answer:

Friend, you don't seem to realize where you are and what you've got here. You are on the boards for the UQM, and StarControl 2 Remake. More importantly, an open-sourced StarControl 2 remake. The project started with the original code but forget about that. Go to the download page, download the game, and you will have the source for a perfectly functional, perfectly faithful, and more up-to-date (code wise) version of what you are looking for.

Enjoy and let us know when you're done making the port. I know there are several people here who'd wet themselves to have what you're proposing.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: NEED SC2 SOURCE CODE!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 07:17:13 pm »

you know if you were to actually 'look' around the website you would find the source to whatever version of UQM, i'm pretty sure you don't want the actual SC2 source code because that was written for the 3DO (which i want anyways).

but just because your in a 'hurry' i'll give you a link that directs you to the most recent version of the source

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=59452

now what you do is scroll down till you see: uqm-0.5.0-source.tar.gz
which is a tarball of the 0.5.0 source of The Ur-Quan Masters

all you had to do was ask nicely and not type in caps  Wink

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Need SC2 source code
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 07:18:33 pm »

All caps is not appreciated here, especially in topic names. I've edited your topic.

Although a little bit of searching would have lead you to the source code in a minute, as you're in a hurry, let me help by pointing out the the most recent source code. It can be found in cvs.

When do you expect to have the PSP port done? As you're in a hurry, do you think you would have it done by the end of this week? Or even sooner? I'm looking forward to it.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
JEdi_Man

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 01:03:06 am »

As am I. Wow. UR QUAN on the PSP! That would be amazing!
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:40:22 pm »

i have the 0.5.0 game and have been trying to work with out there... though... there are still a few thing I need to try first... I'm not sure if I've tryed that source package yet or not but will try it out... I guess I should have been more clear on the process that I'm doing in order to port it.. I'm basically using a a kind of pspdev program which helps to make a pbp file... but its kinda picky and doesn't want to work with me... I haven't been working on it long but hope to get a least some work in the right direction soon though.. if not the whole game at first, at least the melee game for starters... if there are any good programmers out there that feel the calling to lend a helping hand then great I'm all up for some steering or actual team work to get this thing going... I"ll try the source code that was posted to try to see if I can get it working... 
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:16:42 am »

...kind of in a hurry ...
... if there are any good programmers out there that feel the calling to lend a helping hand ...

You're really stressing my ability to be civil here.

Let me explain. Do you think you're the first person to want UQM on the PSP? Or perhaps you think you're the first to have the pbp developer. Maybe you think you're the first to be willing to "work on a team."

That you're excited and tring to get this into the pbp of the PSP, I'm happy for you. But let me ask you, have you developed anything in pbp? If you have, good. If not, get on it. Make some simple original content first.

Now, enthusm can overcome experience, but realize a few things. 1, you're going at this most likely alone. 2, it's taken a team of experienced programmers years to bring UQM to this point. 3, I'm not against you, I'm behind you spiritually 100%, but see 1.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 02:17:42 pm »

damn i typed a nice reply and tryed to previw it but it had an error and everything went away.. oh well.. anyways, I'm not the only one who has a developer tool for psp... i'm not sure how much you know about psp hacking but things like this have been out for a while... (pspupdates.com) the program is simple and uses a toolchain to do a bunch of stuff... without saying all the programming and code it does, I can sum it up as convering a file for use on psp; specifically a source code... like the starconrtol 2 source code... and since its been ported with open source, all the hard work has been done for me already... I found an xbox port with a key config *the most important part I think because how can you play if you can't control anyhing* and now that only leave the game itself... I've gotten some progress done but its not realeaseable yet as its not running yet... though there may not be a lot of people intrested in doing a port of star control 2 to PSP there are a lot of people who find it nessisary to hack their psp and would play this just becasue its homebrew so to speak... so I'm sure I can find someone who is willing to help me to get this onto PSP... its only a matter of time, though it doesn't matter if people want to help or not... I'll do it by myself if I have to...  Grin
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 03:04:31 pm »

staar, people here may be a bit more helpful if you could explain what you've done clearly. Reading your last post, I find myself wondering what exactly you've done so far and how. For example, what toolchain are you using? What have you done with it so far? What is this "progress" you've "gotten done" so far?

Judging by the terminology you use, you seem to be quite unfamiliar with software development. I think you may have underestimated the difficulty level of the porting process. Getting UQM to run on a PSP is one thing; getting it to run well is another; you will probably have to do a lot of tweaking to get UQM to fit the PSP's display, controls and sound hardware and performance issues are likely to be a problem. Do you have any plans on how to resolve these issues?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 06:49:46 pm »

I think someone's under the misconception that if you've created a project file for some PSP IDE, you've got a working port...

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 02:04:31 pm »

not at all... i'll sum up what i've done, which is not much but some is better than none... basically I work in a linux shell to do my programing (windows just doesn't cut it) called Cygwin....

I use a toolchain exclusivly for the psp called, simply enough, : "psptoolchain-20060120"... its common for psp developers to have this... not hard to find at all either... this basically adds the code lines you need for the source to operate on psp.. I have done this so far....

the other program you need if you want to get the psp to reconize the source you modified is : "pack-pbp-1.1.0.c".... this program is what you use to bundle up the source you edited into a usable .pbp file for the psp... I haven't done this part yet but assume that it shouldn't be too hard... if it is, then I could always ask another psp developer if they could lend a hand...

so far am I on the right track to explaining what i've done so far...?

Now, as far as making the game run in the right resolution and supposing the sound doesn't work right off the bat and what not... that  "IS" a bit beyond me... Really I have pretty much just started programing recently for the sole purpose of playing star control 2 on a PSP... the only problem is that given my current situation with money and what  not i've been using my friend's computer for the project ( mine just doesn't cut it... -_- ) so I don't always have access to it on a day to day basis... I usually can't work on this about 2 day a week but the rest of the time I am trying to figure everything out when I am using it.

so there you have it.... I have already converted all the files need to run the game on PSP but haven't compiled them into a usable format (kinda like an .exe) for the PSP yet...  I know the resolution won't be correct but I can only hope everything else works out alright...
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 02:47:29 pm »

OK, that was a lot more helpful. Most of the software mentioned can be found at oopo.net consoledev.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "converting all the files needed to run the game"?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 02:56:08 pm »

here... I read into this a bit more and some others have been a bit sceptacle about this but its not to far fetched... Sony PSP port? if you go there then you can see that a lot of people have been woring on this and i'm not quite sure but there might be an actually good working version almost complete... I left a post to get in contact with any of them because it seems like a lot of them don't even have a PSP....
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »

well what I mean by converting the files is ( I'll try to stay un-technical) : I have used cygwin in conjuntion with psptoolchain and sdk... its a thing that basically make the convertion process from a source code to psp format... you just go into the folder the source is in and in therory it suppost to auto generate the files for you if you type "make".... I found out that it isn't that easy.. you see the source is aparently suppost to have a makefile which is what the program goes off of to make the files... kind of like directions for cygwin to follow while its doing it's thing (coverting) I quickly found that it was there but that I need a target file for it to make which was the whole game... so typing "make uqm" should work right? well it did. after about 5 or 10 minutes of going through everything I guess changing everything into a suitable format for the psp..

another thing happened that was another road block that I'm at now... after this is done, the program should spit out a usable .pbp (.exe) file for you.. of course it didn't though.. no way! that would just be to convienent and easy... so I moved on to the next part of my project... which is using a pbp packer to go through and pack all the source files it convered in to a single .pbp  (in this case it would be kind of like making a winrar archieve)

I hope that helps out a little better...

also I have noticed somthing quite odd my last few posts and that is the clock said something like 2:xxPM when it should have said something more like 5:xxAM... just an observation...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:20:25 pm by staar » Logged
staar
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 03:22:05 pm »

I even saw your name a few time on the link I posted Novus ... you should know what I'm taking about by now...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length