The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:13:59 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  PETA kills animals (true!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PETA kills animals (true!)  (Read 6635 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: PETA kills animals (true!)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 10:54:41 am »

Nothing wrong with being vegetarian.

In fact, from an energy conservation point of view, a vegetarian lifestlye is much wiser than a non-vegetarian one The amount of pasture used to feed cows and suchlike, could, in itself, feed many more people than thsoe cows can. Using livestock is a huge waste of energy, which sooner or later might become completely impossible.

What's up doc?
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 03:25:40 pm »

Check out Penn & Teller's show Bullshit, they did an expose of PETA....freaky freaky shit. I think they're free online now.

I saw that episode...I couldn't believe it! They said the president was the worst offender of them all. Crazy stuff. I remember P&T saying recycling was complete BS too.
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 03:26:31 pm »

I should rename myself "ThreadJacker"  Wink Also, if I say something here which is not correct and thus make myself look like a blithering idiot, please let me know. Politely for preference, although I'm not choosy.

Our bodies are adapted for an omnivorous lifestyle. We are supposed to eat both animal AND vegetable matter to obtain essential proteins to carry on. All of the nutrients inside animal matter (i.e. meat, milk, etc) can just as easily be found in plant matter, since it has to come from somewhere to begin with. Animal proteins, however, can only be found in animals, while plant proteins only in plants. AFAIK we have to consume both kinds of protein.
What the effects of not ingesting the correct proteins - for an extended period, at least - are, I don't know, and probably wouldn't like to find out, at least not personally.

In my circle, my sister is the one qualified in biological science, not me, so if I'm incorrect or something it would not surprise me. Now, unless anyone has any objections, I am going to go and consume a Medium Rare Moo Slice.

I'm seriously considering going to Bali to paint nude women.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 12:40:57 am »

Just watch out for the big black tree with the two dead branches - don't pick the fruit!
And don't try to collect its juice.   Tongue
SanderScamper
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 06:00:09 pm »

Btw, more trees are cut down every year to make room for Soy crops than cattle. Soy also devestates the soil it's planted in far more than cultivating animals do.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 05:51:58 pm »

Our bodies are adapted for an omnivorous lifestyle.

Indeed. We can eat almost anything. Whilst this gives us a fair advantage when it comes to surviving, it doesn't mean that we need to eat everything. Granted, animal matter contains much more protein/amino acids, so you need to eat less and from fewer sources, which has made it a more viable alternative all throughout time.

We are supposed to eat both animal AND vegetable matter to obtain essential proteins to carry on. All of the nutrients inside animal matter (i.e. meat, milk, etc) can just as easily be found in plant matter, since it has to come from somewhere to begin with. Animal proteins, however, can only be found in animals, while plant proteins only in plants. AFAIK we have to consume both kinds of protein.

Sidestepping the whole "supposed" thing, as I don't really feel like debating wether our dietary habits are somehow predetermined o a product of evolution, I think you might be confusing proteins and amino acids, especially the essential ones. Also, if your theory held through, there would be no vegetarians or vegans. Since there are, clearly you are mistaken.

Btw, more trees are cut down every year to make room for Soy crops than cattle. Soy also devestates the soil it's planted in far more than cultivating animals do.

Because they cannot grow soy where the cattle currently grazes. Don't forget, most of those grazing areas used to be something else as well. If you grew soy instead of catle there, you'd need less space and thus not have to cut down any trees. It's running both soy and cattle simultaineously that causes trouble. As for soils, that depends very much on the quality of the soil, and the expertise of the farmer. You can completely destroy a field by growing anythign on it for a long period of time.

What's up doc?
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 04:00:42 pm »

Thanks. Now I know.

I'm seriously considering going to Bali to paint nude women.
Mr._Jiggles
*Many bubbles*

Get Down!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 10:28:43 am »

I've been hearing that scientists are finding soy isn't so good for our bodies as we once thought. I've heard that there are some toxins in the soybean. I base these finding on a concrete foundation of nothing. Just kidding, heres an article

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

I also read some articles published in my daily newspaper  the San Francisco Chronicle ( I live in the bay area in California).
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length