The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:08:14 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  tfb regains licensing rights to Star Control name?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: tfb regains licensing rights to Star Control name?  (Read 18072 times)
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: tfb regains licensing rights to Star Control name?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 02:27:18 am »

OMG a sequel!

OMG a sequel!

OMG a sequel!

*faints*

*awakens*

Did I miss it? Did I miss the sequel? (Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown reenactment)

Humor aside...
I want to help, what can I do?
This is such good news. I'm so stoked. I'm sure every fan, young and old, is doing cartwheels right now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 02:33:30 am by DEFIANT » Logged
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 02:36:17 am »

I'd gladly offer them my Fjorn race, even though the guys at TimeWarp like it XD.

I want to see a Star-Craft Style system for the planets, so you could conquer them and what not.

Orz Mech Suits.

"Who's Controling the *Smell* now you *silly cows*!?"

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
youBastrd
Frungy champion

It's real velour, just let yourself go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 03:19:58 am »

The plan is to get as much publicity from this as possible, but first we need to get a page up, one which will be able to handle a lot of traffic.
Meep-eep: There exists such a service here: http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

In terms of getting publicity, here are some ideas.
  • Put UQM in Torrent format.  Allow people to post a link to the torrent freely, on blogs, forum signatures, everywhere.  Rumour has it that games spread like wildfire via this technique, it'd be nice if it was desired by its developers this time. Smiley
  • In the UQM installer, provide a Start Menu shortcut to a news page, which presumably has an obvious link to the petition webpage.  Maybe link to the petition directly, but that's a little heavy-handed. 
  • Make some of the more dance-able remixes into modules for the open-source DDR-like game Step Mania.  Kind of an obscure association, who knows how big their user base is and if they would be interested in UQM. 
  • Make Star Control-styled WinAmp skins.  In the skin's description on Winamp.com, post the link to the news or petition page. Again, somewhat obscure.
  • http://www.wilwheaton.net/ , http://slashdot.org , http://www.theonion.com , http://suicidegirls.com/news/ ... if we get a nice, professional-looking press release, maybe try more mainstream media outlets?
It would be an honour to have Timewarp stuff used if they want to; somehow I think they'll do their own thing in the end. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 05:03:23 am by youBastrd » Logged

C. Bob

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:02 am »

Personally, I believe that this news is exciting--and potentially devastating.

With around fourteen years to build up, it doesn't seem likely that anything could live up to expectations, but I imagine they'll do the best possible.

The major thing I'm concerned about is how similar it is to the originals--I'm thinking that the graphics and the like should be similar enough to the existing stuff, but with all the modern technology, it doesn't seem likely that that'll happen--there would be some changes, I don't doubt. Hopefully, though, it'll remain close enough to the originals so that nobody'll complain.

I doubt that this project, of course, will interfere with UQM's future development--there's still a lot to do, after all.

If anyone can do SC3, it'll be them, I know.

-Bob
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 09:58:02 am »

In terms of getting publicity, here are some ideas.
  • Put UQM in Torrent format.  Allow people to post a link to the torrent freely, on blogs, forum signatures, everywhere.  Rumour has it that games spread like wildfire via this technique, it'd be nice if it was desired by its developers this time. Smiley
Actually, distributing UQM by torrent is already legal due to the licenses on the code and content. However, it would be useful to have an "official" torrent as opposed to having to sift through torrents on pirate site containing non-redistributable material like the 3DO videos.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 10:48:18 am »

I have actually already seen the UQM package downloadable here in a p2p application. I believe it's already on some p2p networks, just not an official download with lots of bandwidth yet

(well I didn't actually check that as it was only 2 or 3 users who had the package and I myself already have UQM installed and running so what's the use of downloading it again?).

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
Michilus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 03:15:19 pm »

*Faint*
Sequel hey....
Wonderful, if it ever happens, of course....
XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 05:57:07 pm »

I personally hope that it comes out for PC windows/Linux .NET 1.0. I really don’t want to have to buy some game machine to play it. 

Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 06:37:18 pm »

Well, if TFB works with Activision like they have been, we'll almost certanly see versions for all current consoles, and probably the handhelds as well. I should hope they'll return to their roots with a PC version, though.

Time will tell. We don't even know IF they're going to make the game yet! But lordy, do I hope they go for it; the gaming scene lately needs some serious help, and this is just the title to do it.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »

Okay, so then you send an email and then wait for the new petition site to go up, and then cast your vote there, as well?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:23:16 pm by Deus_Siddis » Logged
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 07:10:28 pm »

Personally, I believe that this news is exciting--and potentially devastating.

With around fourteen years to build up, it doesn't seem likely that anything could live up to expectations, but I imagine they'll do the best possible.
-Bob

You know, I feel a bit the same way. I mean, look at what George Lucas did to Star Wars. For years I've believe there could be no sequel to Star Control without FF & PRIII, but now that there can be a sequel, I'm almost afraid of it. It's like I'm simultaniously drinking from the dreges of hope and dispair.

No, I must not lose faith. No matter what they make I will play it. I will love it. No matter what.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 07:28:18 pm »

But as with lucas, it is their series to make or break. Everything or Nothing! Flank Speed Ahead!
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 07:42:54 pm »

Okay, so then you send an email and then wait for the new petition site to go up, and then cast your vote there, as well?
The page will contain a form to show your support to TFB from the web, as well as serve as a place for sites to link to (toysforbob.com is not going to hold up when a site with a big number of readers links to it). It will contain a bit of background information, and its URL will be included in the "press releases" that go out.
If you fill in the form, a mail will be sent to 'alexness at toysforbob.com', so if you did that from your own email client already, there's no need to use the form.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:54:21 pm by meep-eep » Logged

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 08:01:42 pm »

Anyway, GL and FF&PR3 are FF&PR3. FF & PR3 don't need a powerful studio exec to send in a real director to make sure their good ideas end up well-executed.
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 09:34:30 pm »

Imo you shouldn't post his e-mail address here in public. Note that the email address on TfB is a bitmap graphic, and not text. Perhaps link to that graphic instead (if that's possible).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length