The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:48:15 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)  (Read 136587 times)
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:20:24 am »

A few days ago, Toys for Bob, the creators of Star Control 1 and 2 (but not 3) made it known that they were in talks with the Powers That Be at Activision about what their next game should be.

They decided that the stars are right for a new Star Control, and they're asking for our help in convincing Activision to let them make one. If we can send them support, they can show that to Activision as a powerful argument.

I've set up a petition page where you can find more info, as well as a form where you can send a mail directly from your browser.
You can also find their postal address there; a snail-mail letter is bound to carry more weight.

Please spread the word.

Note that the petition page on the Pages of Now and Forever mentioned in the original announcement on the Toys For Bob website is old and broken. Use the form on the petition website, or mail 'alex at toysforbob.directly' directly.

UPDATE: Alex Ness from Toys for Bob is making a map with photographs of Star Control fans from all over the world, to show Activision that there is world-wide support for a new Star Control, and to make sure that Star Control gets talked about whenever someone from Activision visits the office. You can read about it here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:43:47 pm by meep-eep » Logged

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Terrell
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:41:28 am »

I hope that Toys for Bob is successful in getting another Star Control game made, especially a true sequel to SC 2.  When you're successful in getting a new SC game made, in the super melee could toys for bob, please allow choices from all the star control games?
Staffy Star

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:39:58 pm »

How come this thread only have 2 posts? Doesnt people know what a big thing this is!
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:53:48 pm »

There were a couple of other threads, in which much more has been posted, but as created a new clean one, with a better exposition of what was going on, and locked the others.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:28:22 pm »

Alex Ness actually posted another newspost over at Toys for Bob! Go read!

Not much more other than "Thanks!", though..
sly

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 02:36:22 am »

Well, just wanted to post how glad I am for hearing about these news.

i have allready sent an email to tfb and even posted several threads about this subject in hebrew on israely forums.

wish ya luck.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 06:32:47 am »

So now that we've all dried the pee out of our jockeys and had time to calm down, and now that every other thread on this topic has been locked, I feel like we need to intelegently sit down and discuss this thing. Let's establish a few things first:
  • OMG, this rocks
  • It's only in the rolling it around the office stage
  • I know, but OMG, wouldn't this rock!
  • Yes, it indeed would rock
  • Wait a minute, I'm gone for a week and now everyones talking about a sequel. WTH? That would so totally rock!
  • Okay, who let the newbe in?

So, now that that's out of the way, what do FF & PR3 think about this? Has anyone gotten their opinion on this? I mean, I completely feel this would make me happy, but really, can they pull another rabbit out of their hat so many years later?

Wishfully thinking, however, this all could be a marketing ploy. They've already secretly been working on the project for a year now and are trying to stir us up to a commercially exploitable frenzy. In which case...

OMG THIS WOULD SO TOTALLY ROCK! I'M GOING TO EB GAMES NOW TO PUT MY COPY ON ADVANCE-ADVANCE RESERVE!

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:16:47 pm »

OMG THIS WOULD SO TOTALLY ROCK! I'M GOING TO EB GAMES NOW TO PUT MY COPY ON ADVANCE-ADVANCE RESERVE!

Ditto!  Cheesy
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:36:11 am »

I think I might snail them a paper with happy drawings as encouragement.

However, I'm both very excited and very scared of what they'll have to do to make the game survivable in today's market.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 03:48:50 pm »

However, I'm both very excited and very scared of what they'll have to do to make the game survivable in today's market.

Yea, and their last game was a children's game. . .

"Ha-Hi kids! I'm Captain Doodlepuss of the Spathi Eluder Candicorn! Oh boy, have I got a mission for you! Go to planet Sand Box, and catch all the fuzzy space bunnies using these stun ball guns!"
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 06:10:49 pm »

Ironically, that wouldn't be out of place in a Star Control game.
Pyro411
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 06:21:56 pm »

I'm quiet Stoked about this as well.  :-)  UQM reminded me of the good ole days of when I was in Electronic/computer repair classes back in 1997-99

Now my question is... would it be for a game console, if so which one, or will it be for the PC :-) and have the nice lander exploit lol.

now I have another fun thing to wait for :-)  I'm waiting for the pre-order to come around.
Ian

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 06:16:08 pm »

Let us pray and hope for a proper SC game, and that we may finaly move on from the trainwreck that is SC3, which is not canon, or ever happened.

Hopes rising....
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:31:36 pm »

I'm not sure what got me addicted to SC2, but I think part of it has to do with the voices, the storyline, and the overall zaniness of the world, not to mention the combat. Oh, and the game seems to have nailed the atmosphere right, too. The music sure helped a lot with that.

While most of the voices could use refinement, if they change the Spathi voice from how I heard it in UQM 0.4.0, there will be blood. BLOOD, I TELL YOU!

So, I guess I could propose these guidelines:

-More witty dialogue!
-More addictive combat with multiplayer options!
-More unique races with their own charm!
-More of the best music ever to grace gaming!
-More Frungy!
-More Fwiffo!

I think that's about it...it's probably due to how well everything melds in SC2 that contributes to gaming bliss. Even if they do make some crazy change, if it's executed well...

...okay, my post doesn't make much sense, but bear with me. I may be newer to the SC scene, but I love this game just as much as you all do.
RTyp06

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »

Personally ,I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of SC2 (updating to today's gaming standards) rather than a sequal. A remake could have everything we love ,updated, and still have totally new added content (without getting too carried away). Landing on planets could envolve a "lunar lander" style option. The universe could be gentely scrambled for a unique game experience every time. Many new quests could be added as an addition to the classic game and it's story/timeline. Basicly take what rocks about the existing SC2 and make it better. The story, the universe, the 2D meele, etc...

SC3 is a perfect example of what could go wrong with a sequal and should be avoided at all costs IMO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length