The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:15:19 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Widescreen support
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Widescreen support  (Read 1528 times)
Liquidus

Email
Widescreen support
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:54:48 am »

Hey guys, I'm a huge fan, as no doubt everyone here is. However, I have a widescreen monitor, and was wondering if there was any UQM support for widescreen? I'm running at 1440x900 (16:10). Perhaps it could be included in the next version?

Regards!
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Widescreen support
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:02:51 pm »

UQM is designed, roughly like the 3DO version, to run at 320x240 with square pixels (with optional scaling to another resolution), so the best you can do at this stage is run UQM in a window or in full screen with pillarboxing (as opposed to stretching the image horizontally).

To use pillarboxing in full screen UQM, you can make use of the fact that SDL automatically increases the screen resolution to the closest large enough resolution; specify a full screen resolution that is actually a 4:3 window in the desired screen mode. For example, in your case, you'd want to use a full screen resolution of 1200x900 (and hope/make sure that SDL has to choose 1440x900 instead). Use the normal command line resolution switch (--res) to set this resolution. This is only a quick hack, so it may not work as expected (the resulting image may or may not be centered on the screen; it works fine in Linux for me, but weird things have been known to happen in Windows, like the image filling the whole screen anyway or being off to one side).

In the future, UQM will probably support higher resolutions and it should be possible to take non-4:3 aspect ratios into account when redesigning the graphics system. In particular, the DOS version used a 16:10 resolution (320x200), so it may be possible to use the DOS version's screen layout to make better use of widescreen.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length