The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:53:15 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Heads-up about the remix site
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heads-up about the remix site  (Read 2514 times)
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
Heads-up about the remix site
« on: May 03, 2006, 09:52:43 pm »

Hi folks! I'm afraid I have some bad news.

Due to an unforeseen situation, the host running www.medievalfuture.com will be taken down tomorrow (Thursday) on a permanent basis. This means the Precursors site will become unavailable until we can get some kind of replacement. I have no idea when this will happen.

If you need to download anything from the site, now is the time to do so.
youBastrd
Frungy champion

It's real velour, just let yourself go.

View Profile WWW
Re: Heads-up about the remix site
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:23:04 am »

Do you have a backup of the webpage's content and DB if applicable?  If you don't have a backup, but still have access, backup everything ASAP.  As in, copy the complete contents and burn two copies. 

Do you own the domain name?  Looks like it won't expire for months. 

If you have the contents and the domain name, just use another server, they are very cheap these days.  It's not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not the end of the world.  Smiley  Web hosting is so cheap these days, this should not be a showstopper for the remix project.  Lemmie guess: someone is a student at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and now that the semester's over, nobody wants to host it there anymore. Smiley

If you're really stuck for a server, maybe I can help out by hosting it temporarily on my crappy little web server while you guys find a more permanent home.  I don't think the bandwidth will allow for storing the entire files, but we can find some solution that will work.  The web content shouldn't be a problem.  Is it just static HTML, or does it need a database?  I wouldn't accept any money or anything, but depending on bandwidth I might not be able to host it permanently. 

Heck you could just use a Geocities page and use an IFrame to point www.medievalfuture.com there.  To the outside world, it would look mostly seemless.  Google doesn't pick up such pages, but it'll keep you guys going for the time being. 

Anyhow lemmie know if you need anything.  I'll be AFK preparing and participating in TOJam the rest of the week, but email if you're really stuck.  No matter how you slice it, you should be able to find a solution without too much difficulty.  Best of luck!

TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:38:50 am »

Lemmie guess: someone is a student at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and now that the semester's over, nobody wants to host it there anymore. Smiley

Close, but no cigar. The host computer belonged to an employee at said university, but he's changing jobs now and his previous employer decided to be an ass.

Backups have already been taken and we are looking at alternate hosting solutions. We'll get back up again, but I just don't know when.
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:16:18 am »

I can also mirror the website on my server if needed... but like youBastrd I don't have the bandwidth to host the files.

Maybe they can be uploaded to Stack.nl or sourceforge?

Currently working on: Going outside more
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 02:46:33 am »

I've already proposed to put them on uqm.stack.nl in private communications, but TiLT is exploring other options.
I would have a hard time justifying putting up non-uqm music there though.

The Ultronomicon could also be used to link to the remixes.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:59 am »

It seems the site is still up, but I have no idea why. I'm expecting it to drop any minute.

Anyway, server hosting is relatively cheap these days. We might go for a paid solution that will offer us as much freedom as possible with how to run the site. I have some interesting plans for a new goodie I think some of you will like once we do such a thing... Smiley
TigTigger
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:55:26 pm »

Best of luck with getting this set up (again)!

A cheap, paid solution is indeed probably the best for the long run.  I can volunteer a server of mine (with good bandwidth) in the meantime, if you're interested.

Of course, we'd all like you guys to spend your time making music instead.   Wink
TiLT
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 03:31:39 pm »

We now have a hosting solution in place, which means that you now get a blank page instead of a timeout when trying to visit the site (yay!).

I'll be trying to bring everything back in some form ASAP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length