The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:54:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Where's the most dangerous planet?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Where's the most dangerous planet?  (Read 11601 times)
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Where's the most dangerous planet?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 07:04:08 pm »

Are there different categories of planets? Like "normal weather, normal tectonics", "extreme weather, extreme tectonics" that the planets are generated in? If so then I guess there are many planets that are in the most extreme category and which planet is the most dangerous is random between them.
Spektrowski
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 07:29:09 pm »

The full classification of planets is given in Ultronomicon.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 03:48:26 am »

...And to go with the, I guess, "attractive nuisance" theme, I propose that unfriendly homeworlds are the most dangerous.  If you're skeptical, just look through the archives and check out all the "How many ships does a homeworld have?  I fought 934753208 but that still wasn't enough to invade" threads.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 12:46:50 pm »

Quote from: waywardoctagon
"How many ships does a homeworld have?  I fought 934753208 but that still wasn't enough to invade"
You fought 934753208?! Well, if only you had fought one more, you would have conquered the planet! Enemy homeworld fleets always have 934753209 ships.
And when you conquer it, you gain complete control of the race, you can order them to mine for you, to build ships for you, to attack other races for you...  Cool

And BTW, the REALLY MOST DANGEROUS planet is the one with the Cloaking Device. Weather and tectonics are Class 100, the temperature is 1,000,000,000oC and so on. If you land on that planet you will be vaporized immediately. God, if only you enter its star system you will be completely erasen from history, from the most distant past to the most distant future (you will not have existed ever!).
That's why you need to combine the Glowind Rod and Wimbli's Trident to make a propulsion system for the Utwig bomb, in order to detonate its sun and cool the planet down. And then you need to move fast, or the gravity well will collapse.
This adds to the danger of the planet - you'll lose a device which is required to finish the game and you will be stuck.
(The system I'm talking about is Alpha Corvi, which can be reached by travelling to the northwestern corner of QuasiSpace.)

And, without joke, the most dangerous planet has to be Eta Vulpeculae II, at least before Bukowski destroyed the data on the central computer. A planet with information that can annihilate an entire race and nullify the borders between dimensions, bringing into HS&TS evil entities like Orz...
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 11:40:35 pm »

Orz aren't evil!

And... only ONE race? I think the most dangerous planet is that one in Delta Crateris...

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 11:44:15 pm »

Orz aren't evil!

And... only ONE race? I think the most dangerous planet is that one in Delta Crateris...

"That's not a planet, it's a battlestation!"
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 02:27:03 pm »

Tongue
The Sa-Matra not only is not a planet, it also never commited genocide. Only enslaved races.

And Orz isn't evil intentionally - no one is -, we just call him so since he did "evil" things.
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 07:20:26 pm »

The first (only) planet of system 192,152. It is so hazardous, you can't even orbit it without your ship melting.

if 192,152 means Sirius, I've seen far more dangerous planets than that...

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 07:57:16 pm »

"That's not a planet, it's a battlestation!"

Well... the computers on Eta Vulpeculae II aren't exactly the planet either. I was just pushing the boundaries a bit. Tongue

My mod
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:49 pm »

The computers are part of Juffo-Wup... err, the planet I mean. If you go on the planet you will be tempted to visit them.
And indeed there are so many ruins that it's hard not to bump into them when you are chased by the evil bio...
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 01:56:22 am »

[...]
Also dangerous are the Alpha Centauri planets. After Sirius, that star is your first destination for sure due to its popularity as the closest star from Sun. (at least the TrueSpace Alpha Centauri, the star in the game is probably another one, even if it's still a red supergiant).
[...]
That's the idea right? That they named some stars in HyperSpace after known stars. Isn't that kind of unrealistic, I mean for one, things are commonly named in systems, like the name of stars today. And to use the same name for two different stars, just assigning stars in HyperSpace with random TrueSpace names isn't very smart either.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 04:26:18 am »

That's the idea right? That they named some stars in HyperSpace after known stars. Isn't that kind of unrealistic, I mean for one, things are commonly named in systems, like the name of stars today. And to use the same name for two different stars, just assigning stars in HyperSpace with random TrueSpace names isn't very smart either.

Kind of.  From the map:

This map details the spatial relationship between the stars in our known region of the galaxy, as well as the spheres of influence for each alien race as of AD 2133.  The positions are based on HyperSpace coordinates, which may be unsettling to some students of TrueSpace astronomy.  Defined long ago by Chenjesu stargazers, the constellations are now accepted by all Alliance races as the standard.  Due to the great difficulty in pronouncing the Chenjesu language, each race has translated the names into their own tongue.  When it came time for Earth to adopt this system, the United Nations decided to use traditional astrological designations, assigned at random.  This has caused some confusion, but it is considered preferable to the suggested alternative: using the names of past politicians.

See, they're still named in groups.  Just give the constellation a name and slap alpha, beta, gamma, delta, et cetera on the individual stars to distinguish different stars within a constellation.

I don't think they are using the same name for two different stars, exactly.  It's two separate systems of naming that have little to do with each other.  Each system is self-contained; it's only when you try to look at them both together--or when you don't know which system is being used--that you run into problems.  It's like, when you say "dinosaur", do you mean it in the specific, technical sense that experts use, or do you mean it in the "common use" sense (giant prehistoric lizards)?

And yes, it is a bit of a handwave and it probably wouldn't actually be done that way, should such a situation occur, but it allows the game map to be arranged freely according to the needs of the game, instead of requiring the game to be painstakingly arranged according to existing astrological data, which would probably be a lot more work without adding a lot.  (And of course, it also means that discoveries of new astrological objects don't suddenly make the game map "wrong" because, oops, it doesn't have those things: the more visibly separate you make a canon universe from the real universe, the less any changes in [the real universe/our knowledge of it] will affect suspension of disbelief.)

/derail
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 12:05:25 pm »

And Orz isn't evil intentionally - no one is -, we just call him so since he did "evil" things.
You can't be sure Orz did anything evil, or even "evil" - I don't think he did...

My mod
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 01:22:38 pm »

Quote from: Elvish Pillager
You can't be sure Orz did anything evil, or even "evil" - I don't think he did...
Well, it's your opinion. But in the 1998 IRC chat FF/PR3 confirmed that Orz was the one who snagged the Androsynth. If you don't believe me, search for "snag" in the chat (on The Pages of Now and Forever)
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 01:39:38 pm »

And how do you know the Orz didn't take the Androsynth for safe-keeping when "They" came?

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length