The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:14:47 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Shot hardness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shot hardness  (Read 2889 times)
Holocat
Frungy champion

View Profile
Shot hardness
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:20:36 am »

I've been mucking around against avatars lately, and noticed that Torch blaster fire, while weak in damage, seems to have endurance:  They take several hits before being taken down, and therfore get through the avatar's defenses handily.  On the other hand, several other kinds of shots do more damage but are easily shot down.

This leads me to believe that shots themselves have a variable number of hitpoints.  Is there any way to determine what this is for each ship, or better yet, an existing list of this?  I suppose this isn't the most useful information, given that only the avatar and the cruiser have truly active point defense, but is useful to know.

Shot velocity would be another useful thing to know.
nightwrath
Zebranky food

The Agent of Juffo-Wup

View Profile
Re: Shot hardness
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:58:09 pm »

I don't know about an actual list (but it would be quite useful at times), but I know some of the actual endurances of the shots. I don't have it tested out, but with most of the small shots (1 or 2 damage) every shot has an endurance equal to the amount of energy spent on it.

THESE SHOTS ARE:Androsynth bubble, Ilwrath flame, Mmrnmhrm missle, Pkunk shot, Shofixti dart, Spathi gun, Supox bean, Syreen shot, Thraddash missle, Yehat gun and ZFP primary peashooter.

THE SHOTS WITH DIFFERENT COST COMPARED TO ENDURANCE ARE:

A Chenjesu shard and an Utwig shot has 1 endurance - it can be shot down by a PDL.

Shots that are homing (including limpets) and fighters have an endurance of 1 point of damage. The Mycon plasmoid has endurance equal to the damage it does in it's current status.

Orz marines have 3 endurance, but they automatically destroy the shot that hit them, even a single Kohr-Ah corona puff.

Orz shots also have 3 endurance.

DOGIs have 3 endurance.

Zapsats have 8 endurance.

Melnorme red (and I think purple orbs too) can't be destroyed by shots. Only a Kohr-Ah corona, a marine (untested), another orb of the same size or an asteroid/planet can destroy them.

Melnorme green bolt takes 2 points (or 3?) of damage to destroy.

Confuse ray is indestructible, but it cannot be used to destroy enemy shots, because it passes through them without any harm done.

A full Chenjesu, Ur-Quan or Kohr-Ah primary can take 2 Druuge shots. An Ur-Quan shot can destroy a Kohr-Ah shot and continue on. I didn't try this with Chenjesu.

I think that's how it works. Please correct me if I have made any mistakes.

... planetary transformer biot 94-18: take your place at the dais...
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:16:22 pm »

In a protracted artillery battle, I noticed (at least I think this is right, it's been a long time) that a Chenjesu primary crystal will absorb a single Kohr-Ah blade and continue moving. However, if it is hit by a second blade, they are both eliminated. This leads me to believe that the primary crystal has an endurance of 8.

Is this info in the ship files somewhere?
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:33:47 pm »

Zapsats have 8 endurance.

Confuse ray is indestructible, but it cannot be used to destroy enemy shots, because it passes through them without any harm done.

I think that's how it works. Please correct me if I have made any mistakes.

Zapsats have 10 endurance and the confusion ray can be blocked by the FRIED as far as I notice.
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 07:13:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure and Ur-Quan blast and a Chenjesu crystal cancel each other out.

Yeah, that Khor-Ah blade is pretty hardy. Really makes an effective shield in a lot of situations.
Crazy_Pirate_unInc
Zebranky food

Yarrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 07:17:50 pm »

Yes, shots have different values for damage and hit points.  If you want I can post a whole list of 'em later.

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 07:32:22 pm »

I don't think confusion ray can be blocked by FRIED.
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 09:08:59 pm »

You're right about this. I think the ray distorts the ring so that the segment hit by the ray is out of sync with the rest.
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 12:37:28 am »

Actually I think it's a yes or no proposition now that I tried it a few times.  I think it's really more of a product of the rather specific collision detection in UQM than whether the FRIED blocks the confusion ray or not.

I've noticed this especially in the fact that, as an Ur-Quan (or a Mycon) I could be nose-to-nose with an Androsynth, fire, and completely miss.

One of the handy things about being able to record something is that you can slow it down.  I did a demonstration where I did nothing but run at a Melnorme, hit him with the FRIED.  I snipped a couple of them, blew up the image, and then slowed the video down by about a factor of 6.

fried-test.avi (176KB)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E5C097321B082692

On the first one, the "block" was unsuccessful, but on the second, you will see the confusion ray ball completely super-imposed upon the Kohr-Ah ship.  Notice as well, the confusion ray didn't pass beyond the FRIED ball that hit it square.  On the first one, I notice the FRIED ball wasn't square with the confusion ray ball, so maybe that's another indication of why what happened happened.

Hard to tell what is meant.  Maybe this is a bug, too.  Who knows?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:39:36 am by Captain Smith » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 01:13:59 am »

This leads me to believe that shots themselves have a variable number of hitpoints.  Is there any way to determine what this is for each ship, or better yet, an existing list of this?  I suppose this isn't the most useful information, given that only the avatar and the cruiser have truly active point defense, but is useful to know.
Most of this stuff is in src/sc2code/ships/[name]/[name].c. Look for assignments to the hit_points of the missile or whatever.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Terrell
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 02:04:23 am »

The Thraddash shot does 1 damage to anything it hits and has 2 hitpoints.  I have blocked them by using 2 point defense lasers on the Precursor flagship.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 03:17:39 am »

It may be that the confusing ball moves so fast that it skips over a FRIED element or ship.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length