The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:19:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The People's Races!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: The People's Races!  (Read 25863 times)
Valaggar

Email
Re: The People's Races!
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 06:59:52 pm »

Agreed with Elerium, but a similar sort of looping drums would fit them - of course, their volume would better be lower.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2007, 07:00:11 pm »

Ok 2 things:

1) Try to include some techno medieval oriented stuff for the ditty.
2) The drums implemented by Vala are so off it ruins the ditty, as well as killing the volume.

If you could, use something else with the Piano.

You got a damn good point with the drums, the first segment it fits well, then the timing goes haywire :/...

I don't have many VSTis on my FL Studios, do you have any suggestions in order to get a SC2 Feel? Maybe I should use the SC sound fonts?

Right, I managed to remake it (with changes to the melody too) and have a midi available with it aswell.

http://www.savefile.com/files/663922 < Midi

http://www.savefile.com/files/663926 < MP3

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Gaeamil
Frungy champion

Dragon of the Zeep-Zeep clan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 12:53:30 pm »

Fascinating how a thread like this can turn into a full-up creation of a race.

But, still, a topic's a topic, so here's mine:

The Darana

A race of "meta-mollusks" like the Spathi, but not nearly as cowardly.  The defining point of their species (again similar to the Spathi, their cowardice this time) is that almost every member of their race has a high degree of ADD, meaning that no one Darana can stay focused on anything for more than a couple minutes.  As a result, they are an ancient race, but are very new to space travel, having just discovered HyperSpace travel.  In any conversation with a Darana, one must be prepared to change to a conversation to another without warning, as Darana are very prone to getting bored and leaving.  Fortunately, their comm consoles print a transcript of the entire conversation, so the next Darana to pick up will not be in the dark.

Any Darana is usually concerned with matters of personal safety and comfort, but they will still fight without too much worry.  For instance, a Darana will save any money they come across, but are prone to splurge a saved amount on a nice thing that interests them at that moment.  They also are incorrigible packrats, rarely willing to through the slightest bit of waste away.  This resulted in their creating Fabricator technology very quickly, so an object could be deconstructed with a minimum of waste.

Ship: Zephyr

Speed: High
Turning: Med-high
Accel: High
Energy regen: Medium

Crew: 12
Battery: 15

Primary weapon: simple, forward-firing machine gun, much like the Yehat's weapons, but only one. 1 battery tick per shot

Secondary: A boost that projects the Zephyr far forward very quickly.  Like the Umgah's reverse gear, but forward and farther, and with a slow reuse timer.  Also, ship restores momentum from before the boost.  5 battery ticks per use.

These ships were designed with the credo "You can't kill what you can't hit" in mind.  They look similar to the Shofixti Scout and Mmrnmhrm X-Form Y-Wing.

Quote from: Valaggar
I tend to swallow some worlds at times.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 02:25:21 pm »

Gaeamil: Isn't the ship a bit TimeWarp-ish and the race a bit a-few-post-ago-ish?  Undecided

Neonlare: This is better, yep, but it's only piano. Also, don't forget to remove the silence at the end.
Add a wailing guitar too, it will be much more Medieval.
Some heavy, periodic drums would also reflect the Fjorn's "heaviness".
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 06:24:56 pm »

I'm shocked at how popular the Fjorn are. Of course there have been some teething issues (such as the TimeWarp plot, which gives people a wrong impression) and the fact it's not one of the original races made by the people who created them :S. Oh well, demo version of Slayer 2, here's what I cooked up...

Aaaaaand Savefile is screwing up for me, I'll post back when I find a way :/.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 06:29:13 pm »

There's always www.RapidShare.com and www.megaupload.com, if SaveFile is temporarily down (which happens more than sometimes).
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 06:56:08 pm »

http://www6.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=31946 < Theeeere it be Cheesy.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 07:29:26 pm »

Well done, this sounds perfect. No need for drums anymore.
However, it's too long - 14.5 seconds. Ditties only have up to 4, 5 seconds. You need to reduce it to only the essential part (take out/merge with the other parts similar parts of the ditty, make it so that it's feeling constantly changes).
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »

Improved guitar instrument, and made it shorter. Also edited it a little.

Now this version I think is perfect Cheesy.

http://www.badongo.com/file/2843033

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 07:54:50 pm »

It still need to be shorter, it's 8 seconds, while the others are, as I said, only up to 4, 5 seconds. Simply remove some of the transitional steps, I think.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 07:59:38 pm »

That's very very very hard to do, considering that there is a transistion effect and such. Although, I think it being double the length could act as a pun, because the Fjorn are known for over-exagerating their victories and such (slightly like the Yehat, but more so).

But yes, the verdict is out there, I CAN'T shorten it down any more without loosing the melody that's present Sad.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 08:01:37 pm »

Well, I thought so too, but you'll grow bored with having to wait so much between battles. Maybe have the delay last for only 4 seconds, as usual, and the ditty continues in the ship selection box? This seems well.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 08:03:08 pm »

Yes, that might work, because then it sort of personifies the exageration, almost to make the opponent go "Oh shut up!"

Gaeamil
Frungy champion

Dragon of the Zeep-Zeep clan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 02:48:05 am »

Gaeamil: Isn't the ship a bit TimeWarp-ish and the race a bit a-few-post-ago-ish?  Undecided
What do you mean by those?  Well, I get the a-few-post-ago-ish-ness, but I've always been an incorrigible late-post-er.  But I don't know what TimeWarp is.  I was just thinking of a ship I'd like.

Quote from: Valaggar
I tend to swallow some worlds at times.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 02:27:48 pm »

Quote from: Gaeamil
But I don't know what TimeWarp is
It is a Melee clone, still in development. They intend to add an adventure portion to it, but I personally don't think that they will ever finish it. It can be downloaded here.
There are lots of such ships there, it seems that they are very popular.

Quote from: Gaeamil
Well, I get the a-few-post-ago-ish-ness
Oops. That race wasn't from this thread, it was from somewhere (not on this forum) but I can't recall from where. It was a race of microscopic organisms with a very short lifespan and, thus, a very fast history. So that during a single conversation with them, their entire social structure changed multiple times.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length