The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC myths...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: SC myths...  (Read 12794 times)
nightwrath
Zebranky food

The Agent of Juffo-Wup

View Profile
Re: SC myths...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 08:53:37 pm »

What's the max amount of minerals/bio you ppl gathered at trying to mine the whole starmap? Maybe we could start some competition on how many minerals/bio ppl could gather during the game - just an idea.

What about the Sa-Matra's Toruses of destruction?

What is that? Never heard about it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:56:26 pm by nightwrath » Logged

... planetary transformer biot 94-18: take your place at the dais...
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 04:19:05 am »

What about the Sa-Matra's Toruses of destruction?
What is that? Never heard about it.
technically, they're annigilation... I mean annihigation.. damn!
CUT! CUT! Let the Chmmr tell you more:

Quote from: Chmmr
the sa-matra incinerated our finest broodhome vessels from ten times our own ships' weapon range.
we had no choices beyond submission or devastation

What more can you tell me about this Sa-Matra
we only glimpsed it once, when it devastated our most powerful fleet
it was several times the size of your vessel
with a host of unusual weapons protruding from its scabrous hull
but the most dangerous feature of the sa-matra was its annihilation toroids...
with this weapon they could vaporize ships from the far side of a solar system
or cut broad swaths of devastation across a planet in seconds.
My personal belief is that they are eliptical-shaped toruses which vaporize anything inside the toroid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:24:43 am by Culture20 » Logged
Lance_Vader
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 05:21:47 am »

Or maybe they're really just fireballs that track any enemies, and can be sent long distances to destroy them from afar?
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 08:05:28 am »

My personal belief is that they are eliptical-shaped toruses which vaporize anything inside the toroid.

i always thought they were some kind of toroids (there is a difference between a torus and a toroid) around the sa-matra that generated some kind of directional magentic field. or something....

BTW, one thing that always puzzled me, the precursors were (as far as i understood) the only intelligent race at the time, right? so why would they build such a huge, awesome and powerfull battle platform?
it didn't sound like they were warlike so it does'nt seem logical fo them to war amongst themselves.
XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:50 pm »

BTW, one thing that always puzzled me, the precursors were (as far as i understood) the only intelligent race at the time, right? so why would they build such a huge, awesome and powerfull battle platform?
it didn't sound like they were warlike so it does'nt seem logical fo them to war amongst themselves.

The Slylandro were around at the time of the precursors and if you go by SC3 so were the Arilou Lalee'lay and other races.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 06:38:21 pm »

And I don't get what you mean about the precursors not being warlike. All their war machines tend to indicate against that.
Lance_Vader
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 07:13:45 pm »

Heck, even the precursor TUGBOATS had weapons out the wazoo!
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

Well, the Precursors were also HUGE, it seems anytime their appearance is referenced, they're always referred to as giants. So, more than likely, their weapons didn't seem all that overpowered from their perspective; they're probably based on the principle (assuming they had some sort of period of infighting in their history like us, and seemingly most other species) of the amount of power required to destroy their own hardware. Of course, being the most advanced race in space at the time, this made their ships more than up to the task of eliminating any other races' inferior craft (which were likely a good deal smaller, and consequently their weapons had that much more destructive impact). To give a good idea of that, do bear in mind that their Service Vessels were likely only armed with DEFENSIVE weapons (AKA: Ion Bolt Guns), if they were even weapons at all (someone here mentioned the idea that they could be considered the equivalent of giant welders, or some other type of tool module used to service vessels), and even those are possessed of rather nasty amounts of power.

On the other hand, there is another likely alternative: The Precursors created all of these enormously powerful weapons to counter whatever it is that they were so afraid of, just before their disappearance. If that's the case, it seems like those weapons didn't work all that well...
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »

perhaps the sa-matra wasn't meant to be a battle platform? perhaps it was meant to be a planetary engineering tool? say one that was meant to break up planets and assemble them into a dyson sphere or something?

Lance Vader:

Heck, even the precursor TUGBOATS had weapons out the wazoo!

Hang on, the tugboat was a modular one, and the first modules you had were of earth design! (at least i assume so from the presence of the PDL). and as for the later modules i'm not sure they were of precursor origin.

D_999:

All their war machines tend to indicate against that.

what war machines do we know of other than the sa-matra?

XRT-14:

The Slylandro were around at the time of the precursors and if you go by SC3 so were the Arilou Lalee'lay and other races

i don't think they saw the slylandro as a threat...
i find it a bit weird the airilou were around at the same time because from what i remember they were a race to achieve sentince extraordinarily quick so it would seem that they would achieved it before the airlou, unless the eternal ones didn't consume intelligent life from other dimensions?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:44:30 pm by distant watcher » Logged
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:30 pm »

So is climbing mount Everest, but people do that too.

What sound does a penguin make?
Lance_Vader
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:29 pm »

perhaps the sa-matra wasn't meant to be a battle platform? perhaps it was meant to be a planetary engineering tool? say one that was meant to break up planets and assemble them into a dyson sphere or something?
I can just see it now.

ALIEN RACE: "Attention alien vessel.  What is your purpose and intention here?"

PRECURSORS: "Oh, this? Ummm.... it's a planetary engineering tool.  That's right."

ALIENS: "Ah, we were worried there for a minute.  Go about your business."

It's possible.  But the weapons idea was more simple, and I think it's more likely.

Hang on, the tugboat was a modular one, and the first modules you had were of earth design! (at least i assume so from the presence of the PDL). and as for the later modules i'm not sure they were of precursor origin.
If you recall the manual's story, the factory built the ship 'as is.'  The ion cannon in front would appear to be standard issue.

The Mark II was supposed to be a battle cruiser, though it doesn't say so in the game.
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 07:02:31 am »

Lance Vader:

It's possible.  But the weapons idea was more simple, and I think it's more likely.

but why do you assume there were other alien races around? the eternal ones came around every period, right? the precursors achieved intelligence extremly quick and therefore had enough time to discover the problem and start preventing it. i'd say that means there were no other alien races at the time they "awoke".

If you recall the manual's story, the factory built the ship 'as is.'  The ion cannon in front would appear to be standard issue.

then i'll have to fall back on draxas's theory of giant arc welders... Wink

The Mark II was supposed to be a battle cruiser, though it doesn't say so in the game.

are you talking about TFB intentions?

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 09:42:38 am »

but why do you assume there were other alien races around? the eternal ones came around every period, right? the precursors achieved intelligence extremly quick and therefore had enough time to discover the problem and start preventing it. i'd say that means there were no other alien races at the time they "awoke".

Well, if you go by the eternal ones and SC3 (which was probably not the original intention of SC2), then the Precursors were the first race to achieve intelligence after the E1s fed. Seeing as the E1's only ate people (or intelligence or whatever), they probably found a LOT of technology just lying around, and incorporated that with their own. Among this technology were assumedly some weapons as well. It'd also make perfect sense for them to have those weapons. Other races would achieve intelligence after the Precursors, and some of them might be hostile. Not everyone would by the Precursors story about "having to find a way to stop the E1's". So anyone hostile would have to be put in their place whilst the Precursors attempted to find a solution to their impending doom. When they eventually came up with the deevolving bit, it's even more important to have weapons.  After all, once you've turned into a cow, you don't want to be barbecued before the E1's eat everyone else. So in order to keep all those pesky inferior races from stealing your stuff and eating your family whilst you were happily munching on grass, some sort of automated deterrents would have to be in place.

I f  you go by SC2, then there is nothing  that indicates that there weren't other races around at the same time as the Precursors. We've never found any remains of them, but that might be because the Precursors had such advanced weaponry. Or maybe we can't tell one old race from another, and precursor artifacts in fact belonged to several ancient races, at war with eachother.

What's up doc?
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 11:47:41 am »

Lukipela:

then i stand by my original statement:
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 04:42:08 pm »

Lukipela:

then i stand by my original statement:

The wierd round space-ship that you can see at the end-movie, a.k.a. Mark II.
It supposedly is a precursor battlecruiser.

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length