The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:46:34 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Can't get Sylandro to talk about fixing probes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can't get Sylandro to talk about fixing probes  (Read 3830 times)
mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
Can't get Sylandro to talk about fixing probes
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:04:51 pm »

I am currently playing version 0.5.0 and am up to the part where I have to get the Sylandro to give me the self-destruct code to disable the probes.  I was able to start conversation about the probes and when I get to conversation line where I can pick a topic about the probes I get something along the lines of "Is there anything else you can tell me about the probes" and the sylandro respond back with something about replication but then I do not get anymore conversation choices to further elaborate about the probes and ultimately can not get them to admit that they are programmed wrong and give me the self-destruct code.  I have tried to fly away from the planet and then go back.  Even let a weeks time pass and the game does not allow me to pick a topic where I can get them to go in detail about the replication code process...etc.  It only give me the same line about what else the probes do and about their history.  I have exhaused all conversation options and still can not get the self-destruct code.  Is there a bug in the software that pemits this from happening.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem??  Please let me know.  I am sure I can continue the game without the code, but there are too many probes to deal with.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Can't get Sylandro to talk about fixing probes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:06:46 am »

You must have actually encountered and talked with a probe.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:51:07 pm »

Of course I have encountered and talked with a probe.  Many, many times.  I am guessing it is a glitch in the game.  This did not happen with version 0.4.0
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:21:45 pm »

Please attach a saved game demonstrating the problem to bug 758 along with any information you can provide on how you got into this state.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:45:05 pm »

It doesn't count if you load an earlier save game. Are you sure this is not the case?

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:06:37 pm »

I submitted an attachment of the saved game to the bug database.  Those wishing to see what I am talking about can load the game and test.  Make sure you rename the attachment to starcon2.xx (xx refers to the save game number slot).  Save in saved games folder.

The saved game is before even speaking with the Sylandro for the first time, so you can see from the beginning what is happening.

What do you mean by loading an earlier saved game?  The saved game I uploaded is before you speak with the sylandro for the first time and I encountered many probes and talked with the probes themselves as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:10:04 pm by mattman90 » Logged
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 03:51:21 am »

I'm trying to think and I'd have to research it.  There's usually a set of conditions that have to be met for most of the things to happen in the game.

As I recall for the Slylandro probes, you have to:

1) Encounter a probe.
2) Talk with one of the aliens (or Hayes) about the probes.

I'd have to go look at the source to be completely sure.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:25:22 am »

What do you mean by loading an earlier saved game?  The saved game I uploaded is before you speak with the sylandro for the first time and I encountered many probes and talked with the probes themselves as well.
What meep-eep is getting at is that restoring a saved game (naturally) restores the information about what you've seen. Thus, if you save the game before meeting any Slylandro, talk to them and then restore, the game will act as if you never met them (because you haven't, in the timeline leading up to the saved state).

Apparently, enough people are confused about saving to make this a reasonable question.

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 10:16:19 pm »

Matt, have you actually talked to the probes instead of shooting them on sight? I've tried both current CVS on Linux and the Windows release binary on XP, and your save game works fine; after I talk to a probe, I can ask the Slylandro about the probes attacking.

mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 06:20:06 pm »

NICE!  You guys are awesome.  I went back into the saved game and talked to a probe again and then went to the sylandro and they started talking about the probes in detail.  Was able to get them to activate the self-destruct code.

THANKS AGAIN!!!   Grin
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:34 am »

I went back into the saved game and talked to a probe again and then went to the sylandro and they started talking about the probes in detail.  Was able to get them to activate the self-destruct code.
Great, but that doesn't answer my question: did you ever, in the "history" of the supplied saved game, talk to a Probe? If you just attacked them all the time or loaded a previous save, everything's working as it should (and the original bug report could be the same misunderstanding). If you've actually had a full conversation with them and saved after that, #758 is a bug that has to be hunted down.

I'm sorry I have to keep repeating this question with slightly different phrasing, but we really need to establish whether this is a bug in UQM or a misunderstanding of the game.

mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 03:49:20 pm »

Sorry I was not clear before.  I DID actually talk to a probe before talking to the sylandro in that save game.  I talked to them numerous times.  I believe there still might be a bug.  I took the suggestion of talking to them again, and I guess it triggered the conversation choice this time around.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:51:40 pm »

I talked to them numerous times.  I believe there still might be a bug.
I guess that means we still have a mysterious unresolved issue. If you have any more save games from before the one you sent us, they may be useful, but other than that, I don't think there's much we can do at this stage. Thank you for helping us track this bug down, anyway.

mattman90
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:47:08 pm »

I do not have any other saves that would be useful.  Again, thanks for the help on this and I hope they figure the mystery out.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length