The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:26:29 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Recommended games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Recommended games  (Read 11836 times)
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Recommended games
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 07:53:42 pm »

...led me to start simultaneously playing this super complicated thing called Star Chamber which I doubt anyone around here has ever heard of. If I wanted to sum up Star Chamber, it would be Master of Orion + Magic The Gathering + 30 IQ points. Here's a demo for anyone who wants to try something complicated...

I must say, I've been playing Star Chamber after you've introduced it to me and I've fancied a game like this for some time now, reminding me of the Magic games except this one plays better. I might just even get it, but is it worth it?

The whole 'online collecting' thing puts me off a bit though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:55:41 pm by Elerium » Logged
Shiver

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 05:55:46 am »

Elerium, I sent you a PM.

Keep all questions about Star Chamber in messages to me from now on so as not to clutter the topic.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 07:51:25 am »

since i just got Heroes of Might and Magic V - has anyone solidified an opinion about the game?  i adored 3 and hated 4 to give a clue of what i'm looking for.

Heroes V is quite beautiful, and rather enjoyable. The third dimension does make the worlds come a live in a different way, and it makes the combat sequences quite beautiful. Of course, it suffers from all the same flaws as the rest of the series (barring no. 4 possibly, which I never played) which makes it annoying after a while.

Now if someone could remake Age of Wonders 2 and AoW2: Shadow Magic with the Heroes V graphics, then we'd be talking.

What's up doc?
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 08:23:30 am »

unfortunately, Heroes IV has pretty much the same flaws as the rest of the series.

I'm seriously considering going to Bali to paint nude women.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 02:53:24 pm »

unfortunately, Heroes IV has pretty much the same flaws as the rest of the series.

I find it weird that despite the technical prowess the series displays (becoming better and better looking), they never once make any attempt to change any flaws in the basic formula. Or what I percieve as flaws anyway. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive, but collecting enormous stacks, having your creatures trapped without a hero, and boosting every creature to insane levels just because of your hero always annoyed me. Also, even though the combat is now fully 3-dimensional, it's still the same old 2-dimensional grid that you move around on.

What's up doc?
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »

Also, even though the combat is now fully 3-dimensional, it's still the same old 2-dimensional grid that you move around on.

actually that's the thing i liked most about III - the ability to plan ahead in a chess like manner - and that's what pissed me the most about IV - that it didn't have that option. does V have it?
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 06:00:27 pm »

Being the Westwood junkie that I am, I can't help reccommending the recently released C&C compilation. It's a set that includes every C&C game from the first one, right on up to Generals, plus all their expansion packs. If I hadn't bought most of the games either separately or in other packs previously, I would have jumped all over that one.

Do you want titles only for PC, or will you take console title reccommendations as well?
AnotherW
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 06:14:36 pm »

Draxas:
i liked tiberian sun but not red alert and the first ones, i haven't tried generals.
i only have a PC but you can always use an emulator, can't you?
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 06:47:55 pm »

actually that's the thing i liked most about III - the ability to plan ahead in a chess like manner - and that's what pissed me the most about IV - that it didn't have that option. does V have it?

Yes, combat is still played out on a chess-style grid. Now if only they'd release that map editor....
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 07:46:39 pm »

Really? I felt that was one of the weaker points. Sure, the map in V is a tad larger, but your strategic possibilities are quite limited. You can fire at anyone you wish, there is no cover. And most units can make it across the map in two turns. So, if you have a army filled with shooters, you just shoot at the enemy and try to decimate them before they reach you. If not, you try to move just far enough to not be attacked in the first round, and then charge in the second. Unless the enemy has some shooters, in which case you either charge them or shoot them. The new initiative system works fairly well though, it makes morale more usable, and shifts the power a tad.

Now in a game like AoW, the battlefield woudl be large and isometric. There'd be trees and things to that you could use for cover whilst advancing. And when atacking cities, you wouldn't just advance and wait for your catapult to blow a hole in something, you'd actually break down gates and walls.

If IV had a different sort of combat system, I might just have to take a look at it.

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 03:07:04 am »

Now if someone could remake Age of Wonders 2 and AoW2: Shadow Magic with the Heroes V graphics, then we'd be talking.

Screw Age of Wonders. It's a shallow knock-off of Master of Magic, a fantastic old game I have yet to see be immitated properly.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 07:22:09 am »

No, screw you and screw the horse you rode in on Wink

As I recall, Master of Magic was a more civ like game, whereas both heroes and AoW have are both mission based "tactical" games. You might as well compare Civ to Panzer Commander and claim superiority because Civ deals with much more than just one war.

What's up doc?
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 08:28:15 am »

MoM was a good game, as was AoW. They're similar, not the same, and one is not a knock-off of the other. Anyway.

So HoMM V has an even more simplified (i.e. stupid) combat system... depressing.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 08:40:28 am »

So HoMM V has an even more simplified (i.e. stupid) combat system... depressing.

I'd say it's more advanced than III, but only because turns are now decided by initiative rather than everyone just going one after another.

What's up doc?
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 10:33:09 am »

I may be wrong, but wasn't the init-based combat introduced in IV?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length