The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:10 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Mod request
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mod request  (Read 3210 times)
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
Mod request
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:25:46 pm »

Could someone produce a mod that puts back the dialog missing from the PC version in the 3DO version? I imagine they don't want to just put it back in the default version because they don't have voice files for it, and so they'd have to completely re-do the voices with new actors for the races that have restored dialog. But for those of us who just play with the text (and rarely even listen to the music...) it would be nice to have the full dialogs restored with important missing information. It's fun to find out things in the game for yourself (even knowing where to find it) rather than relying on a walkthrough.
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Mod request
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:09:17 pm »

Actually, I'll do this myself if someone will point me to the instructions for modding?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 02:19:17 am »

The .uqm files are actually zip files. The dialogs are in comm/<race>/<race>.txt.
The source code that contains the dialog logic can be found in src/sc2code/comm/<race>/*.c.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 02:28:21 am »

Yikes... I hope I don't have to alter the source code and recompile something to make a mod work? Smiley
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 12:50:47 pm »

Yikes... I hope I don't have to alter the source code and recompile something to make a mod work? Smiley
If you need to change the dialogue logic instead of just changing the wording of a response, yes. Sorry.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 08:33:33 pm »

Sigh...

Ok, I've avoided programming since Wind'ohs became the default OS of most desktops. Smiley I used to be a Turbo Pascal programmer but have only done interpreted stuff like LISP (specifically MUSH code) and HTML/Javascript since 92 or 93.

What compiler do you need to build UQM under Windows? And what libraries? I'm sure I need more than just the source code offered on the site?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 08:37:17 pm »

Just checkout the source and read the docs that come with it.

when the Creators return
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 09:10:14 pm »

Yech... MS Visual C++

I don't want to give Microsoft any more money. Why couldn't it use the ported GCC? Smiley

Ah well. Maybe I can get an older copy on the Visual Studio on closeout somehwere for some small amount of money.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »

It does support compilation from MinGW.

when the Creators return
Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:17:32 am »

Interesting, but confusing. There are many files on this site, but it claims there is a 'unified package' for everything. MSYS is the 'complete' package? So I can download only msysDTK-1.0.1.exe and have everything I need to compile UQM? It looks like it's only the same size as the gcc package, but I'd also need make and the Windows API files, right? Is gdb included? Or would I have to download that separately?
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:24:27 am »

The packages labelled MinGW-<version>.exe are the main installers; try the "proposed" version as there doesn't seem to be a "current" one. You may want to install MSys additionally (again, use the latest, non-snapshot, .exe installer). This should give you everything you need.

goemaat
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 12:30:49 pm »

Interesting, but confusing. There are many files on this site, but it claims there is a 'unified package' for everything. MSYS is the 'complete' package? So I can download only msysDTK-1.0.1.exe and have everything I need to compile UQM? It looks like it's only the same size as the gcc package, but I'd also need make and the Windows API files, right? Is gdb included? Or would I have to download that separately?

It is quite confusing.  The actual development tools, libraries, and include files you need are all in four mingw packages (gdb is separate also), explained their download page. MSys is a replacement shell for the windows command line that gives you a Linux-like build environment.  You need this too I think to run the configuration scripts in the UQM source code.  I created a web page (http://www.goemaat.com/uqm/) explaining it in detail.  If you can, get the individual files from the mingw download page (http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml), I don't have a lot of bandwidth. 

If you don't want to give money to Microsoft, I think the express version (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/) of visual studio is free.  You'll have to upgrade the VC6 project and download all the win32 versions of the libraries used (openal, ogg/vorbis, SDL, SDL_image), and add the include and lib directories of those to the project settings.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 04:11:59 pm »

It is quite confusing.  The actual development tools, libraries, and include files you need are all in four mingw packages (gdb is separate also), explained their download page.
As I pointed out, MinGW has a combined installer, but for some reason it is missing from the "current" (slightly antique) version.

MSys is a replacement shell for the windows command line that gives you a Linux-like build environment.  You need this too I think to run the configuration scripts in the UQM source code.
You're right. I've actually never tried to use MinGW without MSys anyway (too much manual setting up paths for my taste).

Seriously, getting UQM to compile on anything else than Linux is hard work due to all this library and compiler installing. Doesn't anyone have a YaST or apt-get equivalent for Windows?

Yuptar
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 09:27:44 pm »

It is quite confusing.  The actual development tools, libraries, and include files you need are all in four mingw packages (gdb is separate also), explained their download page. MSys is a replacement shell for the windows command line that gives you a Linux-like build environment.  You need this too I think to run the configuration scripts in the UQM source code.  I created a web page (http://www.goemaat.com/uqm/) explaining it in detail.  If you can, get the individual files from the mingw download page (http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml), I don't have a lot of bandwidth. 

This looks very helpful. I'm on a dialup connection, though, so finding that I have to download 25 megabytes or more to compile a ~1 megabyte executable it a bit annoying. Shocked Ah well, no hurry. Maybe I'll wait for UQM 0.6 before I put any major effort into a mod.

If you don't want to give money to Microsoft, I think the express version (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/) of visual studio is free.  You'll have to upgrade the VC6 project and download all the win32 versions of the libraries used (openal, ogg/vorbis, SDL, SDL_image), and add the include and lib directories of those to the project settings.

Hey, I didn't know MS offered any version of their compilers for free. I'll have to investigate this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length