The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:22:22 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  There's An Ur-Quan In My Pocket! (Was: The Ur-Quan Masters DS...)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: There's An Ur-Quan In My Pocket! (Was: The Ur-Quan Masters DS...)  (Read 11001 times)
OOPMan
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: There's An Ur-Quan In My Pocket! (Was: The Ur-Quan Masters DS...)
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 06:56:06 pm »

Hey all, sorry for not checking the thread...

Alas, bad news. I've put the project on hold. After spending a lot of time with the source I pretty much realised that my graphics programming skills are simply not at the level where I'd be able to do the port. Unfortunately none of my co-coders seem to have crackerjack coding skills either :-(

As I've posted on the SF project page, the whole thing is on hold until someone with actual graphics programming skills decides to help out.

I was hoping the port would not be too much of a mission to handle, but it seems that doing UQM any kind of justice on the DS would involve recoding various parts of the graphics engine, something I'm not really skilled in. The whole structure of the graphics engine is rather more complicated than I imagined it would be and really not suited to the graphics hardware of the DS (Which is very powerful on the 2D end if coded for specifically, but not so useful with graphics engines originally coded for the PC/3DO)

It would probably be possible to get a quick and dirty copy of the game up and running using the WIP version of SDL for the DS, but that would actually be a bit of a dead-end, since SDL DS at the moment does not have any kind of support for more than one screen and isn't exactly being worked on regularly...

Sorry to disappoint everyone. Hopefully at some point in the future I can get things going again, but that will rely on me finding someone who's totally comfortable with doing the kind of engine-mucking work that would be needed...

"My boot, your face..." - Attributed to OOPMan, Emperor of Eroticon VI
zefrench
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: There's An Ur-Quan In My Pocket! (Was: The Ur-Quan Masters DS...)
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 01:05:38 am »

I would really like  quick and dirty port using only one screen, that would be better then anything.  I would definatelly play this.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length