The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:42 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Anyone heard of this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone heard of this?  (Read 3913 times)
Zarnium
Frungy champion

Mr. Owl ate my metal worm.

View Profile
Anyone heard of this?
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:18:41 am »

I found a game called "Strange adventures in infinite space" at http://www.digital-eel.com/sais/index.htm which has a really stupid sounding name, but apparently it's an adventure game that you can play in 20 minutes over and over again. I thought it sounded really odd, but I guess there was a whole bunch of wonderful press about it.

"This game is a rare gem."
- Scott R Krol, PC Gameworld

"...engaging and tasty."
- Tom Chick, GameSpy

"The ultimate pickup game."
- Matt Gallant, Gizmodo

"SAIS delivers on all counts."
- James Sterrett, Games Domain

"They've created a perfect short game."
- Ernest Adams, Gamasutra

"....the most addictive game since NetHack."
- Charlotte Rychlik-Prince, Puppy Games

"....an existential height of great re-playability and meaning."
- Steve Fulton, GamerDad

There was a huge page of this stuff on the website. So does anyone know if this is a good game or not? I think it looks pretty good, and most of the time for really bad games there are 3 good lines about it  they show on the site and this site had a huge page of it.

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
Re: Anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 03:38:35 am »

I have the sequel to it, which has an even weirder title: "Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space". Yeah, it's cheesy, but the game itself is really fun. And moddable, too!

Never played the first one myself, but it's not supposed to be as good from what I hear.

Quote from: Arne, on the origin of the Mycon
Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 09:55:11 am »

Played both the firast and second. Infinite fun. It does lose some of its attraction after the first 10.000 times, but even after that it is still quite enjoyable. Not many games can make that claim.

What's up doc?
Zarnium
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:34:25 pm »

I'll look at the demo. It does look pretty good. But how on earth do you make a space adventure be finished in 20 minutes and make it be replayable like pac-man or something? If they really pulled this off well I think I'm gonna get it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:37:52 pm by Zarnium » Logged

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:56:17 pm »

The galaxy is randomly generated each time, and there's a ton of content, so it'll take you forever to see everything in the game. Also, you die a lot, so often it doesn't even take 20 minutes to finish. Grin

Trust me, it's really fun. Get the second one though, it's better.

Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 08:08:03 pm »

I read the review for the sequal on GameTunnel. I thought it sounded like something in the vein of SC. I haven't had the chance to play it though.

Zarnium
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 09:28:04 pm »

What differences are there between the first and second other than more content, anyone know? Things like game length and actual gameplay differences.

I got the demo but it's really slow. But it says "1.4" at the top left corner of the selection screen, and I read that if it is not 1.5 then you need to get a patch, but i can only find a windows version.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:29:36 pm by Zarnium » Logged

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 02:44:47 am »

What differences are there between the first and second other than more content, anyone know? Things like game length and actual gameplay differences.
I'm really not sure if there are any differences other then that...

RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:16:32 am »

I own SAIIS and WW. Both are great. The Even Starnger mod for SAIIS is better than vanilla imo. WW I have every mod I can find for it.

A Weird Worlds Mod and Mod discussion board:

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=wwscen&PHPSESSID=

http://users.adelphia.net/~wydraz/wwris/index.html

Shiver

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 07:29:41 am »

I picked this up yesterday. Medium galaxy games while playing as a Pirate Corvette tend to be the most entertaining. I thought Large would involve more thought on the player's part, but that is not the case. Large maps almost always give you a big pile of over-powered artifacts while medium maps force you to live within your means. By overpowered I mean the Hyper Drive, Cloaking Device, Particle Vortex Cannon, Timeless Bauble and Mantle of Babulon. Playing with several of these at once is not all that fun. Weird Worlds should be a good way to kill time every once in a while but I'm gonna have to look into some mods.
Zarnium
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 03:06:11 pm »

I played The strange adventurers demo, and I thought it was pretty good. But my computers kind of old, so I'll have to see if weird worlds will even work.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 03:16:18 pm by Zarnium » Logged

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 07:46:12 pm »

I picked this up yesterday. Medium galaxy games while playing as a Pirate Corvette tend to be the most entertaining. I thought Large would involve more thought on the player's part, but that is not the case. Large maps almost always give you a big pile of over-powered artifacts while medium maps force you to live within your means. By overpowered I mean the Hyper Drive, Cloaking Device, Particle Vortex Cannon, Timeless Bauble and Mantle of Babulon. Playing with several of these at once is not all that fun. Weird Worlds should be a good way to kill time every once in a while but I'm gonna have to look into some mods.
Yeah, some of the artifacts can be really overpowered, but the good thing is-if you don't like it, there's probably a mod to fix it.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 07:24:25 pm »

I played the demo of the original. The combat seemed... well, not very tactical, unless you had ally ships, and then it was tricky to use them because they got toasted too easily.

Is this still the case?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 12:32:14 am »

I played the demo of the original. The combat seemed... well, not very tactical, unless you had ally ships, and then it was tricky to use them because they got toasted too easily.

Is this still the case?

Your ships are all quite fragile, but there are some tricks you can use to turn things to your favor. I usually tell my ally ships to retreat at the start of the fight if they're a liability. The Freebooter mercenary is good if you give her a long-ranged weapon and make her stay back. The Blood Fang is possibly the greatest thing ever if you can give it strong shields, a Multibot Repair Drone and a Cloaking Device because it can ram most enemy ships to death without ever being noticed. I sometimes use fighter mercenaries to draw enemy shots off my cruisers and then flee.

I can't beat the Yellow Kawangi though. I'm guessing I need that one Gong artifact to kill it?
Rogue Kohr-Ah
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:46:16 am »

Just think of your ships as "eggshells with a hammer" and you can't go wrong Wink

The Kohr-Ah are flawed.  They must die.
If you follow the Kohr-Ah, you should make whatever final preparations are preferential to your species.  You have three of your "minute" time intervals to do so.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length