The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:02 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Tactics and strategy of SC ships
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Tactics and strategy of SC ships  (Read 29862 times)
Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
Re: Tactics and strategy of SC ships
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2007, 07:00:47 pm »

The Androsynth are just overpowered, period. Especially when you have dozens of 'em flying around at once in Blazer mode....

Quote from: Arne, on the origin of the Mycon
Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:50 pm »

Androsynths? They could use a cost increase, right.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2007, 08:40:57 pm »

The Mmrnmhrm turning ability is irrelevant since it can keep far enough from the enemy to shoot, and the enemy can't reach it. The Mmrnmhrm can continually harass the enemy without stop.

Typical Mmrn standoff tactics involve circling at wide range, where their turning radius is not as much of a problem. However, this would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do against a large fleet, and while trying to avoid interfering with your allies. It's not a practical strategy for fleet manuvers and tactics.

The Androsynth are just overpowered, period. Especially when you have dozens of 'em flying around at once in Blazer mode....

Once again, think about this from the perspective of a fleet battle, and you see that it's not such a practical tactic. Their allies would have to clear a large space in order to let a formation of blazer Guardians through without having them inflict major friendly fire damage. And once they're on the move, it will be very difficult for them to close the distance to their targets while avoiding both enemy fire and crashing into each other.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »

Quote from: Draxas
Typical Mmrn standoff tactics involve circling at wide range, where their turning radius is not as much of a problem. However, this would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do against a large fleet, and while trying to avoid interfering with your allies. It's not a practical strategy for fleet manuvers and tactics.
Nope, I was talking about harassment between battles.

Quote from: Draxas
Once again, think about this from the perspective of a fleet battle, and you see that it's not such a practical tactic. Their allies would have to clear a large space in order to let a formation of blazer Guardians through without having them inflict major friendly fire damage. And once they're on the move, it will be very difficult for them to close the distance to their targets while avoiding both enemy fire and crashing into each other.
Ah right, just what I was saying a few posts ago. Then I contradicted myself saying that the 'Synth could use a cost increase... er, silly me. I have to buy a better memory chip.  Wink
Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2007, 09:16:35 pm »

^True, Draxas

I imagine some of the ships best suited for dogfighting (like the 'Synth and Pkunk) would kinda suck in fleet battles.

Kohr-Ah would probably pwn in a fleet battle, with their ability to lay down minefields hit enemies from long distances. Too bad they're xenocidal maniacs and all that,  I bet they would be really useful to the Hierarchy....

Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2007, 09:43:30 pm »

Kohr-Ah? Of course...
But Kzer-Za are good at fleet battles too.

Now, the 'Synth won't be attacked at close quarters since they have the Chaos(TM) bubbles. But they can't ATTACK with them either, so they'll have to resort to the Blazer. Since friendly fire from further away would be an issue, the attack must be separated from the rest, so you either use them for the killing blow or as vanguard (suicidal vanguard, since they'll be torn to pieces soon) or you field exclusively 'Synths.
This makes them rather a close quarters defense ship.

The Pkunk - the tri-shot will lead to friendly fire, so you must keep a good formation or have good pilots.
Resurrection is nice, though. And the Pkunk are abundant in numbers. A storm of those should be really powerful.

The Old Alliance:
-Yehats running through Mycon plasmoids to free the way and shooting Ur-Quan fighters
(you need many Yehat)
-Shofixti keeping the enemy from assuming a tight formation and scouting for cloaked Ilwraths
(usable instead of Yehat for fighter blazing)
-Chenjesu pick Dreadnoughts from a distance
-Earthlings dump their nukes on the enemy
-Syreen dealing with hot spots (they're hot too)
-Mmrnmhrm flank
-Arilou warp in and out randomly, shooting like crazy
-DOGIes only if there are no Mycon, Umgah or Androsynth.

While the Old Hierarchy:
-Hundreds of Dreadnoughts storming the sky...
-Thousands of fighters on a flanking maneuver...
-Podships using their plasmoids to screen the field... mmm.
-Ilwrath ambushes...
-VUX ambushes...
-Spathi joining the fighters to flank...
-The cheap three or four thousands of Umgah Drones charging backwards... only if they don't choose to make a joke on their Ur-Quan masters by charging into them. Har! Har! Har!
-Of course, also the Androsynth Blazers, but not at the same time as the others. Maybe sacrifice them early against the Broodhomes and the Cruisers (which the Androsynth would be more than eager to destroy).

So the Alliance relies on close quarters attacks supported by long-range fire, and overall more specialized roles, while the Hierarchy relies more on large masses of projectiles and brute force, supported by puncture forces.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:52:33 pm by Valaggar » Logged
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2007, 01:23:34 am »

I would see a Hierarchy combined arms assault like this:
1) Mycon go in front of the fleet, bombarding the enemy with an unending stream of plasmoids, hoping to kill off some ships. Umgah take positions within reverse range of the alliance fleet while Androsynth maneuver to be ready to flank the foe. VUX wait in hyperspace ready to warp. Ilwrath cloak and sneak to block enemy escape routes. Spathi won't serve a big role in assaults. Dreadnoughts wait further away.
2) When everyone has taken their positions, Mycon fall back behind the lines, Umgah begin the assault by charging past the holes in enemy formation, and once past the formation, open their antimatter vents and begin moving towards the enemy ships. When the ships turn to face them, VUX warp on the opposite front of where Umgah are fighting, surrounding the enemy ships. Before the enemy can recover, Androsynth blaze to attack, ramming the weakened ships to death. Any routers will be intercepted by Ilwrath or Spathi.
3) If the enemy survived the initial attack, Ur-Quan, Mycon and Ilwrath close in. Mycon start by screening the rest of the Hierarchy fleet with their plasmoids, while the Ur-Quan launch fighters that advance in the cover of the plasmoids. The Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts begin advancing as well, to protect their fighters from ships. Just before fighters arrive, Ilwrath attack with Cruisers as their primary target, to prevent them from just destroying the fighters with their point-defense. The fighters now arrive to finish the extremely weak-conditioned ships, while Dreadnoughts target tougher ships with their fusion blasts.
4) The battle should be over now. Ur-Quan transmit their 'Surrender or die!'-messages to the survivors while Spathi finish of those who try to escape. If, however, the Alliance fleet proved too powerful, the Hierarchy ships begin to retreat, covered by the Mycon plasmoids and Spathi B.U.T.T.-missiles.

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2007, 03:54:25 am »

Woah, Illwrath in a fleet battle? I'm scared. Imagine 500 of them coming up behind you and turning on their flamethrowers....unlike in a dogfight, it's impossible to keep track of cloaked ships if there are HUNDREDS of them at once...I never thought of that.

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2007, 04:49:10 am »

Avengers work like like u-boats. A few single Avengers can disrupt supply lines, or they can work in wolf packs (or spider packs in this case).

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:30 am »

Of course, but being cheap they're also useful in a battle.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2007, 09:59:53 am »

Hey! Syreen songs are targeted abilities. This means that they do not affect all targets in the vicinity, just the picked target. Good... this means that they can't attract friendly crew.
Holocat
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2007, 01:36:48 am »

Avengers work like like u-boats. A few single Avengers can disrupt supply lines, or they can work in wolf packs (or spider packs in this case).

U-boats armed with a battering ram.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2007, 02:55:19 pm »

Lurker: Your Order of Battle has a few oversights:

1) The Androsynths en route to flanking position can be intercepted by a Mmrnmhrm charge, especially since Y-Form bombardment isn't that useful from inside a Chenjesu formation unless you occupy a flanking position - so first take off the 'Synth, then go&flank the rest of the Hierarchy forces.
Alternatively, you can take off the Androsynth with a few Chenjesu crystals.

3a) Massed cloaked Ilwrath can easily be detected since they obscure a large patch of stars. Ilwrath Avengers must be dispersed and mustn't attack all at once.

3b) Fighters are too slow and plasmoids are too big for fighters to be able to evade them. Plus, their morale will be way too low when they escape the plasmoid screen.
(and if the plasmoids are all fired in a wall, they are too few)
Hmm... Mycon plasmoids are so big and so slow-firing that they should be shot while the other ships reload, as I said.

4) The battle is over. But the Alliance is victorious if the Hierarchy uses such a... well... no insult... inefficient tactic.
Anyway, bubbles and plasmoids and BUTTs should save the few Hierarchy survivors.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2007, 03:00:59 pm »

The Hierarchy is best off using that heavy firepower, while keeping some Spathi and VUX as reserves to deal with problems. Androsynth are good for close-quarters defense too.
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2007, 06:37:09 pm »

This is all done with the assumption that the Hierarchy employs suicide tactics (which I wouldn't doubt) and has the advantage. I never considered who they were fighting. But I'll reply on some points:
1) Equip the 'Synth with those long range Blazers mentioned in the story.
3a) Remember that the Ilwrath can approach from all directions since they have the enemy surrounded.
3b) Uh.. When did I say that the fighters go first?

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length