The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:28 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Will there be cheats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Will there be cheats?  (Read 11664 times)
mstr

Email
Re: Will there be cheats?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2002, 08:30:02 pm »

Your attitude is wrong here. These people do the game for free. You can choose whether to play it or not. And yes, cheat is not a bugfix.
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2002, 03:49:22 am »

I personally don't see the point of cheating in *this* game, although I do in most others.  Starcon is half gathering/exploring and half interaction with other species.  Most people who ask about cheats are looking for infinite money....but that's like not playing half the game !

Well, maybe it's just me :-P

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
Burpmaster
Zebranky food

Yo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2002, 06:10:25 pm »

Well obviously I was joking.

But RU cheats are boring anyway.  What you can do with the source is so much more fun, like dodging between planets in combat as dozens of asteroids come knocking you off course, then firing a stream of Earthling Cruiser missiles out the front and sides of your Pkunk Fury, then dodging as the missiles last long enough to wrap around your enemy several times.

If you cheat without exploiting the source code, you don't know what you're missing!
Black Monk

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2002, 10:03:36 pm »

Your attitude is wrong here. These people do the game for free. You can choose whether to play it or not. And yes, cheat is not a bugfix.

Assuming this is directed to me, yeah, so?  Lots of people do lots of work for free.  Besides, I wasn't saying that the UQM crew had to treat adding cheating ability as a feature in UQM--I'm talking about the apathy of *nix coders in general (based on my personal experience with many of them) towards user interface considerations and ease-of-use.

I mean, it's part of *nix itself--for example, a case-sensitive file system?  What USER would draw a distinction between "my resume.txt" and "My resume.txt"?  To the user it's the same file, why should they bother with case?  That type of pain is fine for an academic or scientific setting, but for an end-user perspective it's pure hell.  And no, I don't expect *nix programmers who spend all day writing backends to medical simulations to have to care about user interface, I'm more referring to *nix programmers who try to make applications geared towards the end-user and then refuse to change a broken interface when the end-users complain.

Windows programmers run into this less because everything is pretty little windows--but there are plenty of bad UI designs for Windows.  Hell, even Apple screws up--QuickTime 4 broke their own UI guidelines, if I recall, and they haven't looked back from there.  

I apologize for the rant.

UQM is at .1 for the release.  There are some UI considerations from the PC version that I think would be a better fit for UQM and have somewhat stated that in a thread a while back.  However, I don't expect UI to be a large concern this early in the project and am certainly not harping on these poor overworked developers.  I've worked on collaborative online projects before and I know how hard it is sometimes to get content for the code, to get features implemented, to get quality assurance done, etc.  

I respect the work that has been done.  However, just because they are doing this on their free time doesn't mean we shouldn't post bug reports and constructive critisicm (key word being constructive).  Yeah, I can choose whether or not to play UQM.  But they can choose whether or not to pay attention to my posts or, if I get too bothersome, just ban me from the messageboard.

Burpmaster:  I think RU cheats are what most people would want.  I say this because new people often need help getting their ship to the point where they don't get ripped up by the Sylandro and sometimes older players just want to skip the outfitting and go right into the plot without spending a year getting your ship outfitted.  The mucking around with ships would be cool, a ship editor or something, but I don't know how easy that would be to pull off.  Heh, a 3rd-party ship editor that can mix-and-match pieces and abilities ala Impossible Creatures would be zany!

I'm not a fan of the "oh just get the source and compile it" mantra since I primarily use Windows.  If you haven't noticed from the posts in these forums from other Windows users, compiling things under Windows is like pulling teeth without anesthetic--it hurts and leaves you without teeth.  Errr... you get the idea.

If the intended audience for UQM is largely or only *nix users, ok, that attitude fits.  But Windows gamers far outweigh *nix gamers so you'd have to assume that you'd have more Windows players for the game--and their requests and abilities would be far different than, say, the typical *nix gamer.  I know about three *nix gamers who can also code up a storm.  Changing ships?  No problem.  I know about 30 windows gamers who like to play games.  Doing anything with the source code?  Hah hah!  I don't think so.  

Like I said, I think it's just a bad attitude in general.  Ok, you meant it in jest but that's just the type of attitude I run into most often with *nix programmers and proponents--if you can't edit and recompile the source, well, you're too stupid to live.  Blah.  If I wanted to be insulted I'd play Counter Strike.  Wink
Mu
Zebranky food

I do not know.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2003, 10:11:05 pm »

Hi Everybody. I made a (windows) UQM save game editor.
I'm new here, is there anywhere I should/could upload it?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 10:16:55 pm by Mu » Logged
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2003, 07:25:01 pm »

Hi Mu,

Welcome!  How well does it work and how much does it allow you to edit?  I can host at PNF if you are in need of webspace and it works well. Grin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 07:25:46 pm by Chad » Logged

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Mu
Zebranky food

I do not know.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2003, 08:46:02 pm »

It's nothing fancy, it reads a POKE.DAT file, which can be added to or modifed to add more cheats. I added R.U., Crew(flagship) , and fuel. It's a small MFC windows dialog, and works well enough as long as the user enters sensible values,(i.e. don't give yourself more crew than you can hold, etc.). It's ~14 kb zipped, be glad to send it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 08:48:07 pm by Mu » Logged
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2003, 03:20:28 pm »

Don't know bout you guys, but I had lots of fun playing the PC version with the planet lander cheat.  I finished the game once without cheating, but can honestly say it wasn't as fun.

Will there be an RU cheat of some kind? Grin

It's an open source, I believe there shouldn't be any probs modify a small cheat like add unlimited ru.

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
Mu
Zebranky food

I do not know.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2003, 08:41:08 pm »

Hi again. I made a new (version 2) save game editor.
You can change R.U., fuel, crew, landers, main ship modules,(weapons,fuel tanks, etc.), thrusters, and turning jets.
It's got a better interface and works well.
Be glad to share it, anyway.
Senor Barborito

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2003, 09:01:03 pm »

Mu that would rock, could you send it to senor-barborito@zombieworld.com please?

Thanks so much!
--SB
Spector

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2003, 09:44:36 pm »

yeah, and plz send it to me also  Grin
ultimate_goro@hotmail.com
OHHDEAR

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2003, 09:46:22 pm »

Send it here, too, and I'll see if I can't host it on my little website thingy. I am painfully bored with mining and I can't stand to mine another planet.

fakeplasticdragon@hotmail.com
Mu
Zebranky food

I do not know.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2003, 06:16:27 am »

Hi. I sent it to you 3 guys above, forgot to mention it here.
OHHDEAR

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2003, 10:24:54 pm »

I have hosted it for all who want to download it.

http://Aftermath36.homestead.com/fi
les/UQMEditor2.zip
OHHDEAR

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2003, 10:25:54 pm »

CORRECTION: THIS IS THE ACTUAL LINK

http://Aftermath36.homestead.com/files/UQMEditor2.zip
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length