The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:17 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What PC game are you playing now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What PC game are you playing now?  (Read 12242 times)
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: What PC game are you playing now?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 10:10:05 pm »

Starflight Central

Check the downloads section, where you can find IBM, Amiga, and Mac copies. I'd suggest the Amiga version for the following reasons:

-The IBM PC release is inferior in just about every way, but it was released a good three years earlier in 1986...had it seen a 1989 release like the Amiga version, I'm sure it could have had a mouse-driven interface and high-res VGA graphics.

-The Mac color versions have illegible text under Basilisk II. Didn't hear any sound, either. Graphically, it's identical to the Amiga.

Note that you'll need WinUAE and Kickstart 1.3, the latter which I can't link to for copyright reasons. (But that's what search engines are for...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:02:20 am by NamelessPlayer » Logged
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 02:10:14 am »

Baldur's Gate

This time... it's personal... Cool
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 08:39:29 am »

Thanks, I didn't think of checking their downloads section. I have WinUAE (and 2 Amigas) so no probs there. I was playing Paradroid 90 and Utopia on it the other day.

Which Starflight is the best? From what I've gathered, the second one is more of an expansion than a sequel.
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 12:00:31 am »

Can't tell you right now, since I haven't set up the Crystal Planet the bomb yet and therefore haven't played the sequel. (You might also want to look into the Mega Drive/Genesis version of SF1, which is quite different from the computer versions in many regards.)

Oh, and all this talk about Amiga emulation makes me wonder where to get a Catweasel IV board in case I get some actual Amiga disks...I tried checking the manufacturer's page, but they only had the III model's info page.

(I'd also almost kill for complete copies of Amiga Starflight 1 and 2...all but the Genesis version are hard to find on eBay. To make matters worse, the occasional computer version tends to be the IBM version, which is understandable since the series originally started on the IBM platform...)
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 03:26:34 am »

Arne
Which Starflight is the best? From what I've gathered, the second one is more of an expansion than a sequel.

Play them in order. There is no better one, I prefer the first, and others prefer the sequel. Both are part of the same story but set at different times and different sectors of space, though they use a very similar interface (as long as you use the same port, like the two PCs or the two Amigas.)

The Starflight games are definitely required playing for any fan of of the Star Control Universe. Starflight 2 even has both Greg Johnson and Paul Reiche III on its team (a year before they combined forces to create Star Control.) When I first played UQM, I couldn't help but notice some similarities ("Why does this Spemin have only one eye stalk, and how did the Gazurtoid get coreward again?")
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 02:39:58 am »

("Why does this Spemin have only one eye stalk, and how did the Gazurtoid get coreward again?")

http://www.starflt.com/

(hover mouse over pictures and  read the race names)
One eye stalk?
Spemin on this site look suspiciously alot like the Umgah. The Tandelou plant people look alot like the UrQuan. And the Veloxi look alot like Suppox.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:42:14 am by RTyp06 » Logged
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 02:01:02 pm »

Yeah, it's practically a SC2 clone... except it's a precursor. The exploration-landing aspect seems a bit deeper and immersive. So far I haven't quite managed to immerse myself fully though, there's something keeping me from it, maybe it's the names, they have this made up feel, like some character in fantasy book name Aelithgóndria or something. Sometimes the dialog feels like some kids trying to type funny things. Maybe it's just because I played SC2 first, I dunno.

I quite like the crew setup thing however, those Androids are charmy in all their jointed retroism.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 04:48:25 pm »

Those who don't want to see any Starflight and Starflight 2 spoilers should probably not read this thread, btw.

Rtyp06
(hover mouse over pictures and  read the race names)
One eye stalk?

I was refering to the first time I played UQM, after having known Starflight for all the years. It took about a year before I stopped calling Ur-Quan Gazurtoid.

"K-A: We cleanse our destiny. You are filth.
Me: Yea, and I'm also an air-breather, carbon-based, and a sentient, so f--king take a number."

Arne
Yeah, it's practically a SC2 clone... except it's a precursor.

You mean an ancient. Wink

The exploration-landing aspect seems a bit deeper and immersive.

Given the seven years of computing advances, I would have liked to have seen more done with SC2's planetary exploration. Maybe if they were not so pressed for time. . .

So far I haven't quite managed to immerse myself fully though, there's something keeping me from it, maybe it's the names, they have this made up feel, like some character in fantasy book name Aelithgóndria or something.

Which names now, the race names, or individual names?

Sometimes the dialog feels like some kids trying to type funny things. Maybe it's just because I played SC2 first, I dunno.

Yea, what you are used to is probably a big factor. Some of the SC2 lines seemed sort of sophomoric to me the first time through. Part of that might have been the voices, though.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 12:18:45 am »

Rtyp06:
One eye stalk?

I was refering to the first time I played UQM, after having known Starflight for all the years. It took about a year before I stopped calling Ur-Quan Gazurtoid.

"K-A: We cleanse our destiny. You are filth.
Me: Yea, and I'm also an air-breather, carbon-based, and a sentient, so f--king take a number."

Ok, I'm down with the Gazurtoid but still not sure which SF race has one eye stalk.. I at least didn't think the Gazurtoid  had one eye...In your post I took it as a reference to the Spathi. Perhaps I just misunderstood you?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:18 am »

RTyp06
Ok, I'm down with the Gazurtoid but still not sure which SF race has one eye stalk.. I at least didn't think the Gazurtoid  had one eye...In your post I took it as a reference to the Spathi. Perhaps I just misunderstood you?

I meant the Spathi seemed like they were one-eyed Spemin. Their names are even similar, and so are the designs of their ships (a bunch of spherical modules connected by tubes.)

BTW, did you play Starflight in the old days or have you just recently discovered it?
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 10:33:46 am »

"Sophomoric means pretentious, bombastic, inflated in style or manner; immature, crude, superficial."

There's something to learn every day. Yeah, that's how it felt. Lizards or whatever talking like thisss isss alwayssss annoying. Sometimes it seemed like the dialog went out of character too, but I'm very new to the game so I can't be sure.

As for names, I kind of prefer not having to learn aliases. If a race is robotic I prefer names like Mechan, Robotrons, RAM, or something so I don't have to create lookup tables. I suppose that there's some logic to the SF names though. Velox is a bug family/order something, but it's not general knowledge.  I'm probably just getting too old for games, if I had been 10 it would've been awesome to visit the Hr'ak Rui, Tandgammel, Anoraxiod or whatever.
Maybe this naming problem (I have) could be solved by having both fancyful alien native names and descriptive english names. This way the nature of a race wouldn't be given away in an early conversation, and it creates a bit of extra info for those willing to immerse themselves deeper in the universe. "Our ancient chronicles mentions visits from a race that called themselves B'kaar Nok Nok, roughly translating to the rolling round people, or the round rolling people. " ... and then the humans just ends up calling them Rolly Pollies in their reports and conversations. Uff, brainfart.

I keep reading Spemin as Spermin.

lemming
Zebranky food

Vootie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:17 pm »

Screwing around with Ubuntu on a laptop, but gentoo is much more fun and challenging...

On the PC, seriously addicted to City of Heroes/Villians

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 06:05:32 am »

Sometimes it seemed like the dialog went out of character too, but I'm very new to the game so I can't be sure.

Nah, you're probably just used to flat characters from SC2. Tongue (Joking of course, all of this was written by the same person or or mostly the same people, I think.)

If a race is robotic I prefer names like Mechan, Robotrons, RAM, or something so I don't have to create lookup tables.

I do not have a big problem with authentic-ish sounding names as long as the are relatively short and easy to pronounce and remember (like Thrynn, Yehat, Chenjesu, or Elowan.)
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 10:41:41 pm »

I meant the Spathi seemed like they were one-eyed Spemin. Their names are even similar, and so are the designs of their ships (a bunch of spherical modules connected by tubes.)

Ahh, that makes more sense.

BTW, did you play Starflight in the old days or have you just recently discovered it?

Recent.. I believe it was one of your posts that turned me on to it. (Which I may not have thanked you for btw..Smiley  ) I've been messing around with the Sega Genisis version offered thru Console Classix for the PC. Bummer that I can't save games or characters that route. I find the character building and outfitting a bit tedius. I do like the landing sequences though, great concept.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 03:05:19 am »

Recent.. I believe it was one of your posts that turned me on to it. (Which I may not have thanked you for btw..  ) I've been messing around with the Sega Genisis version offered thru Console Classix for the PC.

No problem, I was turned on to Star Control 2 by my fellow Starflight fans and thought it was great to find something so similar amoungst the hordes of elite and privateer clones that now rule the genre. I figured that since Star Control fans had been starving for more as we had, that they might be interested in Starflight. It is good to see NamlessPlayer is spreading the good word as well.

There is no genesis version of SF2, but you might want to try playing a version of that (the Macintosh or Amiga might be good choices.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length