The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:40:54 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Control Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Star Control Story  (Read 33697 times)
Valaggar

Email
Re: Star Control Story
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2007, 08:48:46 am »

That's a good idea. After all, if they can't manipulate gravity, how can they create a suitable gravity inside space ships?
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2007, 06:43:32 pm »

That's a good idea. After all, if they can't manipulate gravity, how can they create a suitable gravity inside space ships?
Centrifugal effect?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2007, 07:45:09 pm »

At the StarBase, maybe. Maybe on the Vindicator too. But what about, say, Fwiffo's StarRunner?
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2007, 08:20:49 pm »

Artificial gravity well.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2007, 10:40:07 pm »

Exactly.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2007, 01:01:21 am »

But what about, say, Fwiffo's StarRunner?
Magnets? Constant thrust? Plenty of solutions that don't involve gravity generator (which may or may not be possible).

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:59 am »

Magnets?! So the Ur-Quan hanging on the ceiling have iron boots or what?! Not to mention the Umgah...
Plus, prolonged weightlessness has negative effects on the (human) body.

Constant thrust? And when they stop - BOOM! Plus, some ships are too slow.
Grakelin
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2007, 10:39:06 pm »

I thought the Ur-Quan was hanging off the ceiling the way a spider might hang off it's web. >.> And the Umgah look sticky.

I'm not much good at engineering and physics whatnot, but a gravity generator and a magnet are both pretty similar things, aren't they? I mean, the Earth is pretty much just a big magnet that makes us all stick nice and close. I'm pretty sure if you could somehow simulate that affect, you'd get something equal to that kind of weight. Just having everyone wear magnetic boots at all times is incredibly inconvenient. If someone can explain how gravity actually works, that will bring us one step closer to answering this.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2007, 11:09:09 pm »

If someone can explain how gravity actually works, that will bring us one step closer to answering this.
It will also win him/her a Nobel prize.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2007, 07:43:14 am »

Well, there are theories.. Most popular are the general relativity theory (Einstein's) model, the quantum mechanic model and the string theory model. Einstein says gravity is caused by mass by curving the space and time, causing a gravity well. According to Quantum mechanics, everything with mass emits (virtual) particles called gravitons, which pull the objects they travel through towards whatever emitted it. And string theory.. Well, I really don't know enough about it to tell anything.
Wikipedia has a quite lenghty article about general relativity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/general_theory_of_relativity
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 07:53:22 am by Lurker » Logged

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »

Anyway, how would gravitons work? And how would the way they work work? And so on... you can't find the First Cause of anything, you have to stop somewhere.

As to Star Control... maybe Ur-Quans and Umgahs etc. are sticky/etc., but what about the Druuge, the Utwig, the Supox, the Orz *fingers*, the Pkunk, the Yehat, the Thraddash etc. etc. Not to mention that incense-like gas in the Utwig captain portrait.
Also, as I've said, prolonged weightlessness has a negative impact on the skeleton and the muscles. So they surely can manipulate gravity to a very little extent (except the Chmmr with their tractor beams and the Arilou with inertia dampeners).
konthra7
Zebranky food

You can't see me, and they can't hear you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2007, 02:12:06 pm »

The cool thing about sci-fi, is that you don't HAVE to explain exerything. Why worry about? Call it "Artificial Gravity" and drive on. Need to bend things a little? Also easy, you can explain to the reader that the <something> is based on the same princple as the artificial gravity. Am I making any sense here? Unless have a doctorate in physics or mathematics,  I really wouldn't worry about it. This is, after all, about the story: what happens behind the scenes, not the tech behind it all. If you want to know about THAT, I'd cotact the originators an get their thoughts before continuing the topic.

They bowed to me, but I bade them stand. They cheered to me, but I made them silent. They fought for me and I bade them peace. They died for me, and I am content.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2007, 02:17:01 pm »

Detailed sci-fi, which explains things in detail (although not necessarily in a scientific way) is nicer.

As to what explanation to use, I think everyone agrees that it'd be nice to use BioSlayer's one.
konthra7
Zebranky food

You can't see me, and they can't hear you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2007, 02:33:53 pm »

True, and  I agree. BioSlayer seems to have the easiest, and most plausable, description. The mining is one thing, but trying to explain the artificial gravity is another. There you get into the reals of Hard Sci-Fi, which this work is not.

They bowed to me, but I bade them stand. They cheered to me, but I made them silent. They fought for me and I bade them peace. They died for me, and I am content.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2007, 09:55:39 am »

I just had a thought to make the system seem closer to what you see in the game:

The drills could be launched from the mother ship and remotely activated. So what happens is after the mother ship scans the planet and decides to mine it. It will launch the drills and they will all activate simultaneously above their targets. By the time the lander is prepped and crewed and landed the drills would have already finished their work. So all the lander would do is go around chopping up the spheres of materials and load them aboard the lander.  This makes it closer to the game since all the minerals are represented by Spheres.

This could also explain why a lot of the wild life attacks the lander crew. They are angry because the planet just got a few good chucks ripped out of it and in the process a few friends of theirs got hurt.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length