The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2022, 10:30:00 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge  (Read 5890 times)
Clay
*Many bubbles*
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 169


What can we do for you...today?


View Profile
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 04:18:13 pm »

Have you ever considered FRAPS? I use it for all my game-recording needs.
Logged
Rook
Zebranky food
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2



View Profile
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 12:06:14 am »

If the hitboxes (I thought that was a First Person Shooter thing?) were different, that would explain why the Androsynth only costs 15 points and plays much stronger than that in UQM.

Definately used to be the same point value in DOS Version.

I am thinking it might have something to do with the hitboxes and the improved resolutions available in UQM.
 
Logged
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

No, the resolutions are not taken into account for collision detection, they are just eye-candy. The game is in fact still 320x200.
Logged
Novus
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1938


Fot or not?


View Profile
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 07:08:27 pm »

No, the resolutions are not taken into account for collision detection, they are just eye-candy. The game is in fact still 320x200.
Actually, it's 320x240, as on the 3DO. However, the screen layouts have been changed in UQM to make use of the large amounts of space left unused on the 3DO version near the borders to compensate for TV overscan. The result is that the screen layout in UQM mirrors neither PC SC2 nor 3DO SC2 entirely.

Vicious pedantry aside, Valaggar is right. Most of the game code runs at 320x240 irrespective of screen resolution; scaling is applied to the image that is shown on screen at the last minute and doesn't affect collision detection.
Logged

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 03:45:56 pm »

As a sidenote, what do you prefer? The more boring yet much easier and sure way of bubbling a Chmmr with the Androsynth to end its existence, or just a CHARGE!!! and wedge - shorter and funnier?
Logged
Shiver
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 05:40:56 am »

As a sidenote, what do you prefer? The more boring yet much easier and sure way of bubbling a Chmmr with the Androsynth to end its existence, or just a CHARGE!!! and wedge - shorter and funnier?

If someone brings out an Androsynth and starts bubble massing against my Chmmr, I'm pretty much going to quit after a few minutes of evading them. In no way, shape or form does such a disgusting tactic belong in online melee.
Logged
Cedric6014
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 701



View Profile
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 09:02:24 am »

You have been warned!
Logged

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 12:14:03 pm »

Anyway, I really love CHARGING! I'd be the first to quit if I'd use bubbling...
Plus, I'm good at wedging.
Also, human players tend to turn their Avatar towards the encroaching Blazer, which is a fatal mistake - you can't hit it, ZapSats are enough and also you'll be easier to wedge!!!
Logged
guesst
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 692


Ancient Shofixti Warrior


View Profile WWW
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:44 am »

As a sidenote, what do you prefer? The more boring yet much easier and sure way of bubbling a Chmmr with the Androsynth to end its existence, or just a CHARGE!!! and wedge - shorter and funnier?

If someone brings out an Androsynth and starts bubble massing against my Chmmr, I'm pretty much going to quit after a few minutes of evading them. In no way, shape or form does such a disgusting tactic belong in online melee.

This thread make me wish for two things for UQM. First, a way to record movies from the game natively. That'd be cool.

The rest of what I'd love to see, a way to prevent pill-boxing dorks from...being pill-boxing dork. However, that would mean fundimentally changing the gameplay mechanics. And since some sort of user-commented rating system can be too easily misused I suppose we'll just have to live with the pill-boxing.
Logged

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 08:31:56 am »

Ah, about pillboxing - in fact, there's always clear WHICH ship should attack.
For example, in Thraddash vs Umgah, Thraddash must charge through the Umgah cone, because there's no other possible way to end the battle.

The only real stalemate I've ever met is Supox vs Utwig: Supox shoots, Utwig blocks with the shield, the battle doesn't end.
Though, since the Supox is faster and is the attacking ship, I think the Utwig should surrender, because he can't win.
Logged
Shiver
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 09:12:01 am »

The rest of what I'd love to see, a way to prevent pill-boxing dorks from...being pill-boxing dork. However, that would mean fundimentally changing the gameplay mechanics. And since some sort of user-commented rating system can be too easily misused I suppose we'll just have to live with the pill-boxing.

This statement is way off the mark. Pillboxing is what makes ships like the Utwig not suck completely. It also does a lot of good in stopping the idiotic 10-point Thraddash from beating practically everything else in the game through sheer persistence. Also note that pillboxing isn't really an end-all solution. If an Ur-Quan pillboxes against an Arilou, the Arilou can eventually break into the Ur-Quan's blindspot and do small amounts of damage over and over until it wins. Pillboxing is an entirely legitimate tactic.

Quote from: Valaggar
The only real stalemate I've ever met is Supox vs Utwig: Supox shoots, Utwig blocks with the shield, the battle doesn't end.
Though, since the Supox is faster and is the attacking ship, I think the Utwig should surrender, because he can't win.

Supox destroys a pillboxing Utwig by shooting only one pellet at a time. The Utwig's shield will eventually run out because Supox shots don't do enough damage to refill the battery. If you want to see some real ugly stalemates, try Thraddash vs Yehat or Thraddash vs Androsynth.
Logged
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:51 am »

Thraddash vs Androsynth - Thraddash shoots blasters, the Androsynth can't reach him in normal form, so he must Blaze to attack him.
Then Thraddash uses his afterburner and kills the Androsynth.

Thraddash vs Yehat - the Yehat is the pillboxer, he is the defender, so he must move on and CHARGE!!!
But Thraddash will afterburn. Yehat can shield and then avoid the hot plasma.
Then Thraddash sees that he can only win by blasting, but this takes centuries, so he surrenders.
Logged
Shiver
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 10:33:29 am »

Aaarggh. I've never seen you in UQM-Arena yet you're trying to tell me how PVP works. I hate this crap sometimes. Okay buddy, let's go over those match-ups again the right way.

Quote from: Valaggar
Thraddash vs Androsynth - Thraddash shoots blasters, the Androsynth can't reach him in normal form, so he must Blaze to attack him. Then Thraddash uses his afterburner and kills the Androsynth.

No. If the Androsynth dies by blazing into a flame jet, that is sloppy piloting and the player controlling it most likely didn't care too much if he lost. In a competitive match between people that know up from down, this fight is a very long and agonizing deadlock. The Androsynth will take a big bubble bath, because who wants to lose a 15 point ship to a 10 point one? This forces the Thraddash to try and get blaster shots on the Androsynth while not dying to bubbles. In truth, either side can win it sooner or later but you'd have to be a real jerk to try and pit either of these ships against the other on purpose. I consider this match a deadlock because it takes all friggin' year to finish.

Quote from: Valaggar
Thraddash vs Yehat - the Yehat is the pillboxer, he is the defender, so he must move on and CHARGE!!!
But Thraddash will afterburn. Yehat can shield and then avoid the hot plasma.
Then Thraddash sees that he can only win by blasting, but this takes centuries, so he surrenders.

"...A pillboxer so he must charge"? Do you even know what pillbox means? There is no pillboxing involved because the Thraddash's blaster has a massive range advantage over the Yehat's guns. The problem is that the Yehat can't reach the Thraddash and the Thraddash can't damage the Yehat. The Thraddash is too fast and has too much range, the Yehat has a shield that basically gives it god mode against the Thraddash.
Logged
Valaggar
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 11:11:02 am »

Quote from: Shiver
No. If the Androsynth dies by blazing into a flame jet, that is sloppy piloting and the player controlling it most likely didn't care too much if he lost. In a competitive match between people that know up from down, this fight is a very long and agonizing deadlock. The Androsynth will take a big bubble bath, because who wants to lose a 15 point ship to a 10 point one? This forces the Thraddash to try and get blaster shots on the Androsynth while not dying to bubbles. In truth, either side can win it sooner or later but you'd have to be a real jerk to try and pit either of these ships against the other on purpose. I consider this match a deadlock because it takes all friggin' year to finish.
Aha... then it's not a stalemate, but a loooong fight. Kinda what happens if you try to defeat a cloaked Ilwrath with a Y-Form.

Quote from: Shiver
"...A pillboxer so he must charge"? Do you even know what pillbox means? There is no pillboxing involved because the Thraddash's blaster has a massive range advantage over the Yehat's guns. The problem is that the Yehat can't reach the Thraddash and the Thraddash can't damage the Yehat. The Thraddash is too fast and has too much range, the Yehat has a shield that basically gives it god mode against the Thraddash.
Aha... still, the Thraddash is cheaper than the Yehat, so it's better to let the Yehat win, since a loss of 23 points is worse than a loss of 10 points.
Or both players hit the planets, and the two forces of evil mutually annihilate each other.
Logged
Shiver
Guest


Email
Re: Amazing Androsynth vs Ur-Quan wedge
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:09 am »

I think I'm coming around to Elvish Pillager's way of thinking: ban Thraddash from serious PVP. It's a fun ship, but it's also completely moronic at high levels of play. The worst deadlocks all occur with Thraddash.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Login with username, password and session length

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!