The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:21 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Can you invade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can you invade?  (Read 1953 times)
Destin
Zebranky food

View Profile
Can you invade?
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:15:12 am »

Hi I am new and I couldn't find a thread that answers this question so...
I have gone to the Ilwrath homeworld and I have been beating the snot out of them prettly easily so I though I could go ahead and invade their home. Well I do and I go into battle after battle going on to about 15 fights and I finaly die so I am wondering is it possible to invade a planet and win if not why is there fights if there is no chance to win.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
Re: Can you invade?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:22:50 am »

Nope.  Homeworlds, effectively, have infinite ships.  (Actually, I think codewise it's the same ship that you keep fighting--just with a new name and re-crewed.  Notice that you don't even get RU from these battles.)

It makes sense, storywise, for there to be a fleet protecting a homeworld, and IIRC it's infinite (for practical purposes) to avoid the whole mess that being able to invade homeworlds would bring.  If there were no fleet, or a defeatable fleet, there would still need to be either something in place to keep you from landing on homeworlds, or some kind of planet-based combat system.

Also, it's a way of forcing the player to consider solutions besides "blow everyone up" in some situations.

ETA: I think from an IC perspective, it's supposed to mean they can create ships faster than you can destroy them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:25:57 am by waywardoctagon » Logged
Destin
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:56:35 am »

Thanks. That saved me allot of time.
taltamir
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:15:17 am »

i remember long protracted homeworld battles, i just guessed they must be infinate after killing about 100 enemy ships or so... Try spending several hours straight killing enemies Smiley

It works out plotwise too, you can freely attack homeworlds and then retreat, and sometimes its even represented in the dialogue (for example, admiral zex dialog accounts for you attacking his infinate fleet, escaping, and talking to him again.. severeal times Tongue)

Since escaping is allowed, there are various dialogue options that depend on it, the only one that i know of that is actually important and not just flavor is the shofixti
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:48:45 pm »

There is one case in which you can attack a home world  and beat them into submission. You can't
invade, but you can win. It's when you find the talking pet.

What sound does a penguin make?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length